Send Topic Print
Call for articles! (Read 4604 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Call for articles!
Feb 20th, 2004 at 9:15pm

Many of the people visiting the site check out the articles and leave.  Very few participate in the forum.  I know this from looking at the apache server logs.  People are generally looking for instructions on how to make a sling, or something with info to help them write a school essay or something similar. 

I've just posted a new article by Barak, showcasing the video he made.  I'd like to keep the ball rolling and expand this valuable section of the site.  We talk about so many fascinating things here in the forum, and it would be great if people could write something up into a more readable form.  The articles section is devised up into 3 sections: "Advice and How-To's", "Experiences", and "Other".  I urge you to consider submitting something to me, and as the mission statement says, "With your help, we can rekindle the interest in this truly simple, effective, and historically significant weapon."

Thanks,
Chris

http://www.slinging.org/articles.html

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Call for articles!
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 9:29pm

Chris
how would you like it if I scan my illustrations of slingers and posting them on your site? Maybe have a slinger art gallery! I can give the viewer a history lesson on each piece(battles, Greek, Roman, types of slingers). Maybe this could breath more life in the study and practice of this weapon. You can view some of my illustrations on this site. It is a website in Mallorica.
http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/historia/gimnetes.htm
Let me know what you think!
Johnny
PS-I'll do this free of charge!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 10:02pm

file:///Users/johnnyshumate/Desktop/Slinger/Slinger-Images/Slinger-Images-Pages/
Image0.html

file:///Users/johnnyshumate/Desktop/Slinger/Slinger-Images/Slinger-Images-Pages/
Slinger-Images-Pages-Pages/Image0.html

Chris
See if you can open these. I just got my computer a week ago so I'm still trying to get things figured out! Can you post them on your site?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 11:03pm

Chris, Funny you should ask.  People have asked for braided sling instructions. So, I've been working up a pictorial instruction for the simplest, split-pocket braided sling possible. It will give the beginner enough to complete a braided sling with a very good chance of success.  I'll send it to you when I'm finished in a week or so. Dan

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 12:50am

Johnny,

I was blown away when I saw your pictures the first time.  It would be great if you could whip up a paragraph or two explaining the image and history (Roman, Greek, Assyrain, etc.  Types of sling, armor, casting styles, whatever.)   You don't even need to scan them in; the quality on your website is already sufficient.  Plus, you don't want people to steal high quality versions of your art.

The links don't work, mainly because they are sitting on your computer's desktop and not on the internet (notice the file:// instead of http://). ; You could to email them to me (check the members page for my address).  But. as I said before, I can grab them off your website.  You'd just need to mark in the text which images goes with what.  You can send me the text in and email, word document, or a text file.  What ever is easiest for you. 

New Mac huh?  What model? 

Dan,
A simple braided tutorial would be great.  I think my latest article turned out great and I know it has already helped a bunch of people.  ( http://www.slinging.org/17.html )  I'm really looking forward to getting it and putting it up on the site.

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 9:59am

Sounds cool Dan. I'm interested in braiding a split pouch sling soon.

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 10:58am

Not everyone can jump in and braid a Peruvian sling the first time (heck, I can't do it now!) and not everyone has Jim Burdine's skill either. This is the simplest braiding technique I could imagine, just three strands, like braiding hair. I just 'cast off' this morning. One or two more photos and I'll put the instructions together and send Chris the html.

But first, a buddy is coming over and I'm going to show him how to roast some green coffee.  Yumm!!!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 11:01am

Chris
I'll try to get things together next week on some images. I have an iMac G4, 20 inch screen. Although I have worked on a Mac for years at my work, I have never done anything on the web. So this is a little new to me!
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 11:05am

Chris
I went to the members page and  could not find your email address, it said that it was "hidden".
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 6:27pm

Say, everyone, this is the finished beginner's braided sling example. Like I said, very simple, but a great project for a beginner who wants a braided instead of a leather sling. It takes about 20-30 minutes to make. Give me a week or so to write the instructions and for Chris to get them on the website. I just wanted to give you a taste of what to expect.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 7:03pm

Dan
That looks great! I braid my slings the same way out of sisal. What type of string fibers did you use?  I braided one today out of nylon and was a little disappointed in the results. It seems to me that natural fibers work the best. Just my opinion.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 8:10pm

I like 20# hemp the best, but 48# hemp would work. With the thinner hemp I add more strands. My least favorite natural fiber is jute. It's too 'fuzzy.' This sling is from #18 nylon. I used that because it required fewer strands and I could get them colored. Three different colors will make it easier for beginners to follow my instructions. Of course, they can use one color if they like.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 10:47pm

Dan

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 10:49pm

Dan
        Nice sling. Shouldmake a good article, and help get some new folks interested. Way ta go!

WalkingBird

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 2:02am

Very nice looking Dan! 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)