David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Slinging Videos?
Feb 18th, 2004 at 8:51am

Chris,

My son just bought a very nice digital camera that can also do video. Tell me if I can do the following:
I would like to video me or my son doing the 3-4 different styles of slinging I have heard discussed. Short 3-4 sec. each. I will be slinging at a target and just so everyone knows, I will only show me hitting the target Grin I will not disclose how many "takes" or "gigs" it took to capture a direct hit Grin
I would also like to try to video the flight of different shaped stones to show the spiral effect--- that may be difficult but, I want to try it. Maybe narratate as I go??

Would I send it to you like the still pictures?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Slinging Videos?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 8:57am

David_T, ....you're getting to video faster than I am (in a foot of snow still), you want a couple of my 80gm eggs painted white/red to video how they exit the pouch??   They're just plaster of paris, so only good for gentle shots onto grass.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 9:26am

I'm kinda going for the "shattering plastic bucket" effect Grin

I love to play in snow but I don't miss having to slop around and work in it. Keep warm!
It should be close to 60 today 8) 8) here in the sunny south. Although to be honest--right now there is ice on the puddles.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 10:38am

David,  If your camera only does 15 frames per second you will have a hard time getting the motion of the stone filmes.

15 fps would be o.k. for showing your technique, though. So have at.

You will also have a limited amount of motion you can get on the smaller memory cards.  You might want to invest in one of the 512 meg cards.  They hold more of everything.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 12:08am

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. I don't know how many fps it will do but it is the latest hotest Sony and I believe my son said he can get 20 min. of video on it. Just seeing the stone at 50 yards could be a trick! But, we will try.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 12:18am

You certainly can, but email me first so I know there is enough room.  In fact, I might reply with another email address that I keep around for things just like this.

I think any Sony digital camcorder can take slow motion footage.  Crack open that manual.  You have the opportunity to grab some revealing video. 

Chris

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 8:25am

One of my goals is to understand slingstone release dynamics better. I've even gone so far as to paint a large glandes in two colors to show rotation. I hope to borrow a high speed camera from the university and film the release. I should be helpful for eveyone to know exactly what happens at release, both for accuracy and distance throws.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 9:47am

This could get really cool!

Chris, my son's camera is a still, digital camera. It is the newest, 7or 8 pixel one that can shot video as well so it may not be as good as a straight digital video.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 12:59am

Dan,
If you could get hold of that equipment and shoot some footage of the release (a target impact onto plywood would be cool too), I'd be thrilled to work with you to analyze the video and data, and coauthor a paper/article on our findings. 

David,
Yea, a digital camera won't be able to shoot the video fast enough to catch the projectile in-flight.  It would be good enough to film you slinging though.  Nice camera btw.

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 9:54am

My son said he will check the manual but he thinls it is 30fps. I hope to shoot some today. Its nice and sunny and I have recovered from my "Hunting tragedy" last evening. Cry Cry

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 9:59am

Chris,  I'll keep that in mind. I'll be asking Vern Foley, history of technology, Purdue to help me. He can probably obtain access to the camera. There's sure to be a couple of them at Purdue.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 7:29pm

We have slinging video!!! 8)

We will send it to Chris tonight.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 7:37pm

David T
       Excelent for cool, can't wait to see it.

WalkingBird

Who loves a good slinging flick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)