Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Precision skills in a historical perspective (Read 17704 times)
Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Precision skills in a historical perspective
Reply #45 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 4:32pm

wow!
Takes my breath away.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #46 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 5:46pm

uh-huh

awful and beautiful as well

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
ndRe: Precision skills in a historical perspective
Reply #47 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 5:49pm

Hello amiga Ulrica, have you seen how your ancestors and Danish had fun with the sling? Well, it was another time, today you looks much more  peacefull and charming.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #48 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 5:56pm

He he YUrek, we both, and in general the EG, always writing at the same time

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Matolay
Tiro

Lyngby, Denmark
Reply #49 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:05pm

Hondero,

Thanks, that was a lovely passage. I like Saxo too, have read him several times but did not recall this - I guess I was not focused on slingshots at that time.

There is a part of his work that has a special interest to me. According to Saxo, in the time of king Frode Fredegod there was a marriage between him, the Danish king, and a princess of the Huns, Hanunde, probably the daughter of the Khan.

Furthermore in the Gesta Hungarorum it is said about Attila the Hun that he was "son of Bendeguz, the grandson of the great Nimrod who was brought up in Engadi and is the king of Huns, Medes, Goths and Danes by mercy of God." Smiley

Anyway, to me certain things point to connection between Danes and Huns. The Huns knew and used runes too, to name one.

This epic story talks about the marriage resulting in three years of relative peace - there off the kings name: Fredegod means PeaceGood, - which finally leads into a war with the Huns. There is a short sequence therein that illustrates the threatening appearance of such an army quite well:

Frode asks Erik whether the fleet of Olimar could match the army of the Huns. Erik answered:

No one, I believe can count it.
The sea does not have room for it,
nor does the land.
The forest, it seemed to me,
was set on fire.
when their campfires lit up the night.

The earth rumbled beneath the slaying of hoofs.
Wagons rolled by like roaring thunder.
So heavy and tight was their mass,
the earth gave way as they moved forward.

Fifteen banners I saw swaying,
by hundred flags each banner was followed.
Along with each flag twenty markers;
with each war sign a warlord followed.

When the king asked him what to put up against so many, Erik advised him to turn around and let the enemy perish by its own mass...!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: ndRe: Precision skills in a historical perspec
Reply #50 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:51pm

Quote:
Hello amiga Ulrica, have you seen how your ancestors and Danish had fun with the sling? Well, it was another time, today you looks much more  peacefull and charming.

Hondero,

Be careful, when Ulrica master the sling perfect then the ancestors' fight will revive surely Wink

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #51 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 4:08am

Quote:
Hello amiga Ulrica, have you seen how your ancestors and Danish had fun with the sling? Well, it was another time, today you looks much more  peacefull and charming.

Ha ha.
Yeah, I reacted on that to, but as you said, it was a long time ago, and no use to be excided Wink

Well, we donīt throw so many stones, but we do fight with words Wink Over Windpower and Nuclearpower. The danish people want us to close down our nuclearpowerplants.. but that is really offtopic and donīt belongs here! Just wanted to mention, that the "war" is going on, but on another level Wink

/ulrica

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #52 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 4:11am

Quote:
Hondero,

Be careful, when Ulrica master the sling perfect then the ancestors' fight will revive surely Wink

Jurek

Oh yeah.
Watch up for flying stones.. you danish people Angry

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Matolay
Tiro

Lyngby, Denmark
Reply #53 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 9:09am

Ulrika,

Danes and Swedes have an old love/hate relationship that is quite funny to an outsider like me.

Danes have a saying - 'are you drunk or just Swedish?' It is true that some danish politicians - mostly before elections - use to make popular demands to shut your nuclear power station down, but it seems most of the time they gladly buy the power coming from it. Smiley

I guess the loss of Skåne, Halland and Blekinge to Sweden still hurts the Danes a bit. Being so tiny a country can give you a complex. Smiley

As for me, I don't  take sides in this old conflict of yours, nor the one between the Norse and the Swedes.

Danish is an old language - much like the landscape, its resembles a worn down flat stone grinded and polished by the sea. Easy to have in your mouth and you can speak it effortlessly almost without moving your lips. But these qualities also hide its beauties for the superficial listener, so most foreigners don't think much of it. So has Danish singing vitnessed by early Arab travellers been described as close to the sound of howling dogs. Smiley

So close, and yet so far from the articulate and beautifully singing Swedish language which is a pleasure for the ear and tasty for the mouth as well.
It too has kept many ancient traces, so is the Swedish word for man 'mennisa' the closest to the Sanskrit origin 'manusa' among the Indo-European languages.

Often I hear Danes and Swedes communicate in English, which I find quite sad, (not here though) as both are able to understand each other well. That won't happen with me though, when ever I get the chance to speak it - its just yummy.  Grin

Not to get quite lost from the topic, all this was partly said to avoid getting a stone slung in my head and partly to wish you happy slinging, finally at last but not least to welcome you on the list. Smiley

The Hungarians - like the Swedes - have kept the ancient Roman salute 'Servus' with that small difference that you have translated it:

Tjenare

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #54 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 9:24am

Tjenare You too, Matolay

oh what a lovely messages! I really enjoy reading it!
Thank you!

I didnīt know about the saying, but I have the feeling that is the same all over the world; we swedes have a very bad reputation everywhere because we can not drink like normally people... Wink

Before I write more, I must also tell you, Iīm half half danich. My motherīs father is fron denmark. So I have some relativs there. Met them only once, but anyway.
I do have a lot of problems with the language, because it sounds like they all talk with brei in the mouth...  Roll Eyes

Yes, beeing a small country can be hard... There you have a point.

You donīt need to fear getting hit by a stone. Wink
I can not throw so far yet; and I have personally nothing  against the ones who lives in the small country down there Wink

Thanks again for a lovely written messages!

Ulrica

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #55 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:48pm

My comments to this whole thread:

Balearic/Archean slings:

I know of Roman (more later) depictions which show the sling to be a single strap. And I know of Etruscan (earlier) depictions which show the sling to be braided and having a three string pouch. (See also other posts from me.)

Slinging on horse:

Hitting the horse would be dangerous, but people do underhand slinging despite the fact that they could hit themself with the projectile. It is just a matter of training.

I do not think weight of the ammunition is really an issue. Average weight of Roman lead glandes was about 55g and of Greek 35g. A soldier including equipment (saddle, armor, weapons, shield, living equipment) weighed at least 100kg. 100 Greek glandes would have added 3.5% to that. I doubt 100 ancient arrows would have weighed less and they sure needed more space for storage.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)