Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please add to this list.. (Read 5034 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Please add to this list..
Jan 17th, 2004 at 2:00am

We really need to bolster the textual resources link.  it's looking awfully bare!  And I know there are others out there and people have mentioned them in the past.

Here is the current list:

• Savage, Cliff  "The Sling for Sport and Survival."  Breakout Productions.  Port Townsend, Washington.  1999.

• Cahlander, Adele  "Sling Braiding of the Andes"  Weaver's Journal Monograph IV.  Colorado Fiber Center, Boulder.  1980.

• Ballard, Lynn P.  "Making and Using the Venerable Hand Sling."  In, Mother Earth News  May/June 1985: 148-149.

• Korfmann, Manfred  "The Sling as a weapon."  Scientific American 229(4): 34-42.  October 1973.

• Campbell, Paul.  "The Chumash Sling"  SPT Bulletin of Primitive Technology.  Fall 1996.

• Owen, Rodrick  "Braids: 250 patterns from Japan, Peru, and Beyond"  Interweave Press.  Loveland, Colorado.  1995.

• Heizer, Robert F. and Irmgard W. Johnson  "A Prehistoric Sling from Lovelock Cave, Nevada"  American Antiquity 18(2):139-147.  October 1952.

• Schwartz, Max.  Machines, Buildings and Weaponry of Biblical Times. Old Tappan, NJ: Revell, 1990  

• Hawkins, Walter  "Observations on the Use of the Sling, as a Warlike Weapon Among the Ancients" Printed by J.B. Nichols and Son, 1847.  London : 14 p. ; 30 cm.  

• C. Van Driel-Murray (hrsg.) :Roman Military Equipment: The Sources of Evidence. brit. arch.rep. intern. ser. 476 (1986) s.255-279

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Re: Please add to this list..
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 3:36am

Comprehensive Treatise of Braids II: Andean Braids by Makiko Tada, 128 pages, softcover. Braids from the past, from the Andes and traditional Japanese kumihimo. Instruction in English and Japanese. $42.00 

I found that just the other day on http://www.braidershand.com/ - which is a great website by the way.  They have lots of other books, braiding equipment, and so on.

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 7:10pm

Heizer, Robert F. and Irmgard W. Johnson  "A Prehistoric Sling from Lovelock Cave, Nevada"  American Antiquity 18(2):139-147.  October 1952.  

Suggested by Archeorob actually, but people seem to avoid this post like the plague.... Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 3:48am

Avoiding?

No, but I just don´t know any good resources.  At least not in english. I found a "good" website, but there the most of the stuff is written in swedish, and that makes no sence for most of you, right?
On this Site they make or try to remake/remade old technics.
Here is the adress:
http://www.forntidateknik.z.se/IFT/MNTarb/1983/jaktvap1.htm#slunga

slunga is the swedish word for sling.

There they discribe a sling, to throw big stones with. You fest one end of the sling in a belt around your wheist  (ehh.,stomach) and the other around your wrist... They  say you can can throw 1 kg - stones with that techniqe.. But how you actually throw the stone they don´t tell.

Interesting ???
No....???

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2006 at 4:57pm

• Thomas Völling: Funditores im Römischen Heer. Saalburg-Jahrb. 45, 1990, 24-58.
  • Dietwulf Baatz: Schleudergeschoße aus Blei. Saalburg-Jahrb. 45, 1990, 59-67.

The first is a very good article about everything related to slinging in the Roman army. The second article compares slinging ammunition made from lead, stone and clay in a computational way. It can give an impression on the effect of different specific weights, but probably not much more. (He assumes spherical ammunition of a constant cd of 0.4 and slingers throwing them with 75 m/s.)

At http://www.mbsks.franken.de/slinging/slinging.html I have a page with information about my slinging successes and failures and experiments to reconstruct equipment from antiquity.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2006 at 10:27am

Zwie, the problem with the articles you mentioned, is that they are in German. I have had the dickens of a time trying to get them through inter library loan in the states. ( Keeps the librarians on their toes, though)
  Any suggestions on getting them??? ???

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2006 at 8:36pm

I posted these in another thread, but I'll post them here too. Some of these are articles or books and some have a lot on the sling and others just mention a few things, but they all have useful information. I found many of the articles in my library's database, but if you don't have access to something similar then you can probable get them through the inter library loan system.

Harding, David. (Ed.). (1980). Weapons: An International 
    Encyclopedia From 5000 B.C. to 2000 A.D. New York: 
    St. Martin's Press.

Mixter, John R. (2001, August). Man's first long-range
     missile weapon, the sling was a deadly military asset
     in skilled hands. Military History, 18 (3), 12.
     Retrieved February 9, 2006, from Academic Search
     Premier (EBSCO) database (4671041).   

Foss, Clive. (1974). Greek Sling Bullets in Oxford.
     Archaeological Reports, 21, 40-44. Retrieved
     February 9, 2006, from Arts and Sciences Collections I, II
     & III (JSTOR) database.

Crump, J.A. (1901, January). Trephining in the South Seas. 
     The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great
     Britain and Ireland, 31, 167-172. Retrieved February 28,
     2006, from Arts and Sciences Collections I, II & III
     (JSTOR) database.

Foss, Clive. (1975) A Bullet of Tissaphernes. The Journal of
     Hellenic Studies, 95, 25-30. Retrieved February, 2006,
     from Arts and Sciences Collections I, II & III (JSTOR)
     database.

Greep, S.J. (1987). Lead Sling-Shot from Windridge Farm, St
     Albans and the Use of the Sling by the Roman Army in
     Britain. Britannia, 18, 183-200. Retrieved February 9,
     2006, from Arts and Sciences Collections I, II & III
     (JSTOR) database.

Vutiropulos, Nikos. (1991). The sling in the Aegean Bronze
     Age. Antiquity, 65, 279-286.

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2006 at 8:44pm

Here's the rest of them so far. While at the library once in a while I'll look for sling info instead of doing my homework. Grin
If I find any more I'll post them here instead of the old thread.

This first one mentions the tribes in Tierra del Fuego that still use, or least when the book was written, slings for hunting. It also mentions the bola.

Coo, Carleton S. (1971). The Hunting Peoples. Bostan:
     Atlantic Monthly Press.

The next one talks some about the sling in Greece and presents a different theory on the clay bullets found there.

Perles, Catherine. (2001). The Early Neolithic in Greece.
     New York: Cambridge University Press.

The one below has some interesting things on the sling especially where it makes a short mention of the battle of Najar in 1367 AD where Spanish slingers helped hold off an invasion force.

Powell, John, ed. (2002). Weapons & Warfare: Volume I,
     Ancient and Medieval Weapons and Warfare (to 1500).
     Hackensack: Salem Press.

This last one has a very basic description of the sling, but the interesting part is the quote: 'I have seen a native (of New Britain) knock a bird off a tree at about a hundred yards distance; they seldom pitch a stone further from the object aimed at then three or four yards.'   

Stone, George Cameron. (1961). A Glossary of the
     Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor: In
     All Countries and in All Times. New York: Jack Brussel,

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2006 at 4:03pm

@ zwiebeltüte

the website you gave the link to is very interesting. The situation you mention is probably the retreat of the 10000 greeks after the battle of Kunaxa. I agree with you that the only reason why the Persians where not able to use lead glandes as the Rhodians did is the training you need to get familiar with a material that has a density that is 3 to 4 times higher than the usual one. The different density gives a totally different feeling for the ballistic. I tried lead sling shots for several times. Being used to stones it was hard to get the right moment of release. All sling shots went astray and I stopped these trials when I completely ran out of ammunition.
The Persians just didn't have enough time for training before the greeks managed to get out of close distance to the Persian troops. The quality of persian slings was rather no reason. A weapon normally is made for use under difficult and hard situations. No ancient soldier would trust in a weapon that was likely to break when strained a little bit more than normal.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2006 at 4:59pm

@slingbadger

I got my copy from the German National Museum in Nuernberg. That site is in German and I doubt they ship outside Germany.

@funda_iucunda

You are correct with the retreat of the 10000.

I slinged a few times with a lead glans. I painted it brightly for easier finding. So until now I have not distributed lead gandes in the environment. But until my slinging is acceptable I will stay 100% with stones. Maybe I should produce large quantities of clay balls instead as they are will vanish after the next rain between all the other clay here.

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2006 at 12:12pm

This one talks alittle about the Balearic slingers and it has a great picture by Angus Mcbride of the slingers in action.

Treviño, Rafael. (1992, March). Rome's Enemies (4): Spanish
     Armies 218 BC-19 BC. Osprey Publishing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)