Send Topic Print
Administrative...OT (Read 2323 times)
Ripcord
Tiro

Trebuchets, the "big boys"
sling!

Administrative...OT
Aug 7th, 2003 at 6:35pm

Chris,  you may wish to start another couple of forums in here.  One could be strictly administative (announcement and such), another for OT subjects that fellow members would still be interested in, a picture gallery area, etc.

I've found that on several message boards, the number of postings becomes to great that without a break-up by category, it becomes very difficult for anybody to follow a discussion.  Seperating OT and pictures allows folks to follow areas of interested, rather than walking away from a mass of messages they've no interest in.

Also, while I'm on my soap box here, can you set a link to easily get back to the index page?  When I first come here, I have a selection between "Slinging Articles", "Slinging Forum" and "Other Websites".  I haven't discoverd any easy path back to that page other than re-loading the browser. A link could be handy for referal, to the articles pages especially.

Okay, I'm off the box now... Smiley

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Administrative...OT
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 6:57pm

You took the words right out of my virtual mouth.  I was going to set up an administration-only announcements area for me to relay news to members without interrupting this thread.

An OT board might come in handy too.  My only concern is that since the forum is so new, and has yet to gain a lot of members, that it might be “spreading the butter too thin”.  To newcomers, it might appear there is less activity than if there was one super concentrated board.  However, as the population grows here, I’ll be more than happy to do that.  Less just give it a few more weeks.

Baby steps.

There is a way to get directly back to the index page.  Click the logo at the top.  I might edit the forum template more and add in hard links.  I just got to find the time!

Chris

IP Logged

Ripcord
Tiro

Trebuchets, the "big boys"
sling!

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2003 at 3:16pm

Ah, yes.  The logo does take one back.  Great.

Yes, message boards do need to "grow up".  Differing topics almost demand differing board structures. It'll be interesting to see how this "baby" grows.

IP Logged

BillB
Tiro

If it's outdoors....

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 3:18pm

Another way back is to click on the tree at the top of the page (the descending folders). Clicking on the name of the branch you want to go to takes you to that branch. I use that to get back to the General Discussion quickly after reading through a particular topic.

Bill B.

Bill B.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)