Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ok...I did it. (Read 3808 times)
Kristal
Descens

Iowa
Ok...I did it.
May 1st, 2006 at 7:13pm

Alrighty then.  I did a few sling attempts today in my research efforts.  Shocked

One of my first attempts I let it go, and looked, and didn't see it anywhere.  I was searching the horizon for it, and the sucker fell 4 feet in front of me...straight from the sky.

I felt like Chicken Little. "The sky is falling!"

I tried the Apache throw, and I must say...I must be doing something wrong.  I can barley swing as far as I can throw (which isn't saying much)

So what am I doing wrong...oh wondrous sling masters.

I do however have a sore shoulder from the effort.  Grin

--Kristal

Kristal Shaff, Fantasy Author

My Website
WWW authorkristalshaff  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Ok...I did it.
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2006 at 7:17pm

I must say, 4 feet in front of you sure ain't a bad try for one's first time out.   Certainly you will get the feel for it and post a 'Chicken Little Redux' for us again soon?

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2006 at 7:21pm

Quote:
One of my first attempts I let it go, and looked, and didn't see it anywhere.  I was searching the horizon for it, and the sucker fell 4 feet in front of me...straight from the sky.

Don't say we didn't warn you  Wink Smiley.
Apache was always tricky for me, make sure that there is always a lot of tension on the stone and that everything (arms, body sling) are extended. Try the overhand, underhand, or if you play tennis, you'll probably love the figure-8. If nobody and no windows are around, you could try the helicopter too Smiley

P.S. Yay, you signed up!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2006 at 9:19pm

I'd have to say that you are doing about average for your first throw. At least you missed yourself Grin Keep trying and I'm sure you will improve as you go along. Wink Enjoy yourself.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2006 at 10:38pm

Awsome getting out there and doing it!

Whenever someone is slinging with me for the first time I always explain 'tension' on the sling as swinging a bucket full of water over your head without letting the water spill out. I hope that's helpfull.

I would highly suggest using tennis balls until you feel sure of the direction you sling. This allows you to get over the fear of hitting yourself with the sling, or damaging people or their property. Once you are free from those distractions you can follow the directions that are on the posted guides much easier; the form will come surprisingly quickly.

Huzza! Huzza! Huzza!
Welcome to the ranks.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2006 at 10:41pm

If you can figure out how to do it, the tennis/figure-8 method is the most natural (at least it was in my experience). Of course, if you can't, you risk hitting yourself in the back (so use tennis balls).

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2006 at 1:53am

Kristal,
When I learned the Apache style, I read
Forsyth's article
, then I went out and tried it, and then I read the article again, then I went out and tried it, ... did this about five times, over a period of a week or so, before I felt like I was doing anything right. I definitely do NOT have your character's talent for precision.

I am now fairly accurate with the Apache style, as long as I don't think about it (just look and throw).  But I can't sling a tennis ball any farther than about 30 yards.  The old Mescalero gentleman was devastating at 35 yards!  (Of course, rocks fly farther than tennis balls.)  It does take a lot of practice.

I read about several styles here in the forum, and tried them all.  I had no conscious plan, but looking back I believe it helped me to be working on several different styles.  First, being analytical, I am prone to think about what I am doing and that interferes with an "instinctive" activity like slinging.  Second, when I got frustrated it was nice to have an easy style like a simple underhand to relax with (of course, that was after I got to where my underhand casts went forward, not up or backward).  Finally, there are similarities among several styles, and working on one would help me with other similar styles.  I wrote about a number of slinging styles, with links to the original descriptions,
here
.  Perhaps the various descriptions of the styles, will help you.

Keep slinging, and good luck!  And don't clobber yourself...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2006 at 1:56am

Kristal! So now you are a slinger!  Cheesy    Excellent!!                                             
     I have come to believe that we were born to sling. That is, so many human games and hobbies are of a "ballistic" nature.  What is a child's ball? Of course, it is a PROJECTILE. Indeed, I remember reading somewhere that there are some paleoanthropologists who believe that early protohumans gained a great survival advantage by being able to throw rocks at animals for food. This initiated a positive feedback loop where those who could throw better survived longer to have more offspring who would be even better throwers, etc......      
     I, too had some difficulty with my first slinging attempts, but you will get better. Just don't get arrogant or cocky. Your novel's character has special power, but you are a mere mortal like the rest of us.  Smiley
     It took me about 100 to 150 throws to get to the point where I could get a good trajectory on the stone. Another 100 throws or so before my slinging became really positive and reliable. I am now at 350 to 400 and can hit a tree trunk from about 20 paces about 70% of the time if I CONCENTRATE. ( I use the Apache technique. )                                                
     Don't push yourself too hard. Give yourself the time. everyone learns at their own pace.                                                                  
     My suggestion is to not try for accuracy at first, but rather to go for good form and to try for, what I like to call "slinging for trajectory,"
that is, I try to get the stone to fly in a nice, smooth, "elegant" arc ( aimed only in a general direction. )
      It gives me great pleasure when I achieve this. As I said, I suspect we humans have an instinct for this! And I congratulate you; you  are now a member of a sort of "club" that is at least 9,000 years old!!                                                                 .......Dan

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:28am

Welcome Kristal,
you may have noticed that there is a small female minority here.
We handle that by just ignoring it mostly, but it is nice to know that we are a tiny bigger fraction now  Wink

If you keep having problems, try a sling with a different length. (Easiest done by tying a knot in both strings.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2006 at 4:34pm

Hey, speaking of "small female minority" ...

Ulrica!  We miss you!

I am glad we have a number of women here (Taikis_Girl, Math Freak, Narya, Bjärn, Moonhunter, Slinging_Good_Time, Sensingpresence, Willeke, Kate, and Ulrica -- there are others but they have not posted anything).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2006 at 12:44am

Quote:
Welcome Kristal,
you may have noticed that there is a small female minority here.
We handle that by just ignoring it mostly, but it is nice to know that we are a tiny bigger fraction now  Wink

If you keep having problems, try a sling with a different length. (Easiest done by tying a knot in both strings.)

Willeke

All of us slinging guys think all of you slinging gals are SPECIAL.  Kiss

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2006 at 10:07am

yes indeed we do  Grin (ofcourse my slinging gall is most special to me but that goes without saying Grin)(i had to say that i don't want trouble  Shocked Tongue)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #12 - May 4th, 2006 at 10:49am

hehe, without that last comment you wouldn't even see that "wild" shot Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #13 - May 4th, 2006 at 11:56am

Lol naah she knows i'm kidding (if she's going to get in to the forum soon otherwhise she wouldn't even se it) (talking about taiki's_girl btw  Grin)

Taiki  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:00am

I tried Slinging Gal's once.
I found the sling need was to bulky and cords extra stong. Now I settle for just catapulting gal's lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)