Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uploading / embedding pics (Read 1809 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Uploading / embedding pics
Apr 14th, 2004 at 7:05pm

I'm hesitant to send pics to Chris as it seems like an additional load to impose on the administration (which is top notch... site has a great layout and runs like a well oiled machine) Central hosting certainly makes sense though, especially for archival purposes. It's frustrating to read through the old threads and find missing photos...

I'm well aware of the pitfalls of allowing direct uploads, so I guess I'm just looking for either a confirmation that you don't mind the extra work or a response suggesting that you'd rather us find our own host space.

Perhaps "verbose" replies are only needed if a filename needs to be changed. This might cut the load a bit, and it easy to edit a post if neccesary to avoid conflict.

Thanks for the terrific site,

Matthias

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Uploading / embedding pics
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2004 at 7:34pm

All the pictures people have sent to me should still work.  It's only people using external hosts that are now getting broken links.  Central hosting is definitely the best. 

I don't mind hosting peoples pictures and movies.  That's partly why I am here.  I've considered having an upload page, but that can be easily abused.  I like to provide a bit of moderation to what goes up on the site.  Plus, I provide the extra ability to scale and compress peoples images so they aren't enormous downloads.  So far, I haven't been overwhelmed with upload requests, so I don't mind.

Keep em' coming,
Chris

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:55pm

so if someone want some embedding pics in his post ... 1st have to send pics to chris?
How are done those posts with the pics explaining something? i.e how to make a sling?

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 1:08pm

Getting the pics to Chris is probably the best way in the long term, as the photos will be archived along with the site. If you host the photos yourself, and your later switch servers, the links in the forum will break. Not really a problem if you take care of your posts, and it does make it easier to post since you don't need to wait for Chris to find time.

I've started using www.photobucket.com to host pics. They provide a free (donations appreciated) service and the results and interface are nice.

To link to a photo, you put the url between {img]...[/img] tags (but replace the first curly bracket with a square one)

Here is a pic:

If you hit "quote" to reply to this message you'll see the codes.

Hope you figure it out, we all like pics!

Matthias

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 2:02pm

Thank you very much  for the info, matthias i have no webpage yet, and i've started some of it on my hard disk (status: larvae) i still have to make a lot of pics and write a lot of text to set it up but i think uploading pics to the account will be nice, at least for posting the pics with explanations here Smiley

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 2:16pm

Hello Zorro,

I just sent you an email. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,

David

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 2:43pm

Hi David, yes i've received your e-mail, i think i'll try to sign up  one of those  "store your photos" account and link the desired pic when posting, so i don't increase loadwork of somebody
Thank you very much Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)