Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Re: Hunting with a sling
Reply #16 - May 5th, 2006 at 4:59pm

Hello.
Magpie is english (I think ) for the black and white crow (it is in the crow family).
Dan, good luck with the throwing sticks. I know how you must feel when you cant sleep at night, (when the squirrels are eating up your house).
If you dont hit them with slings or throwing sticks you can try a slingshot. They are easy to use and dont cost much money. Cheesy
Because of pain in my shoulder I had to stop using the apache throwing metod. I am now only using the underhand throw, and this seems to work eaven better than the apache throw (for me at least). Now I can hit at my aiming point maybe 30% of the stones thrown Smiley(before it was only 10% -15% I think)
Is there anybody else that prefere using this throw? (underhand that is)

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #17 - May 5th, 2006 at 8:25pm

Rebel,
It does not seem to me that the Apache style should hurt your shoulder.  It will, of course, if you do it wrong.  I know this by having done it wrong for awhile.  Embarrassed

Reading Forsyth's account again, I have been impressed by how he described the old Apache grandfather: calm, unhurried.  I think that he would not have so appeared, were he trying to force his slinging.  Thinking about this, and observing my own best throws, I have come to the conclusion that my arm -- and your arm -- should be an extension of the sling.  Lift your arm from where it rests at your side, but from there on most of the power should come from twisting your body around, and your arm and sling will just transmit that power to the stone. 

When I have managed to do this, my throws have been more powerful and have felt less effortful.

After your shoulder has healed, try the Apache style again.  Do not try for power at all, at first, just work on form.  The power will come when the form is right.

As for underhand, it is not one of my favorites right now.  I sling tennis balls for my dog, and I have trained myself to release late, lest I strike the dog in the face -- he is usually dancing a few feet in front of me, waiting for me to sling the ball, and so standing right in the line of fire, so to speak.  Unfortunately, I keep on releasing late even if the dog is not there, and so my accuracy suffers.  On the other hand, if I lob something underhand, I drop on target quite often.  Underhand would thus be a good technique for, say, hitting ground squirrels in the garden without damaging my wife's vegetables... Grin

I note also that in the "O-SAST" discussion, TechStuf wrote that he cast a stone 278 yards with the figure-8 style, and 384 yards with the underhand style!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #18 - May 5th, 2006 at 8:42pm

"Thinking about this, and observing my own best throws, I have come to the conclusion that my arm -- and your arm -- should be an extension of the sling."

perhaps it is most appropriate to say that the sling is an extension of the arm, instead of the other way around.  for is it not that the arm can operate on its own, while the sling cannot?  there for the sling is truly the extension of the arm.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #19 - May 6th, 2006 at 2:54am

Ummm ... yeah.  Sling is extension of arm.  Right.  Got carried away with my own pontificating.  Brain shut down, fingers kept going...  Thanks for catching that, Siguy!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #20 - May 6th, 2006 at 7:40am

I wonder why people are always so fond of killing something and then so proud if they managed to do it. Being desructive is so much easier than being constructive.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - May 6th, 2006 at 2:29pm

mostly because dead things taste so much better with barbicue sauce than live animals do Grin

IP Logged

Stuarto1
Tiro

Nil bastardo carborundum

Reply #22 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 2:22pm

Knocking something off is satisfying because it gives one the (false) sense that one can better what nature has to offer.  Human hubris.  That is why getting a target is satisfying.  It gives ont eh illusionone can survive and prosper in the 'old' world when in fact................................

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:12pm

and so you think gardening and or raising farm animals is better it's still killing. Your just paying some one else to do it

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:38pm

good point

Taiki  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:56pm

Quote:
and so you think gardening and or raising farm animals is better it's still killing. Your just paying some one else to do it

I think they were talking about killing for pleasure... I don't know that farmers take pride in killing the farm animals Undecided

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 6:07pm

a hunters joy is being able to find kill prepare and afterwards enjoy a good meal

i'm no hunter myself and i don't plan to be but i can understand the thing it is that drives them...

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 6:21pm

...food

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #28 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 8:48pm

Ok just finished reading this thread. When I get good enough with my apache style of slinging I want to use it for hunting small game.

What is the fascination with this for me........

One since I only kill for food or to prevent my food from being eaten or to prevent being eaten myself. I get no real pleasure in wholsale slaughter of animal life.

Now this particular arguement looses a lot of it's impact when I live in the united states where if I'm hungary i can just go to my pantry or the grocery store down the street and pick up whatever I can afford.

If it were otherwise I bleeping sure wouldn't be using a sling. I would be using a .22 hypervelocity long rifle rimfire semiautomatic rifle with laser pointer and variable power scope and an extended box magazine.

For me it's giving nature a chance while I stalk my prey ( in this case rabbits and squirrels) creeping up on it in the way that the native predators do, and having to get as close as the same predators do. If my skill isn't perfect then I don't get to eat cute furry pasture/woodland creature. Now mainly due to the above reasons this is of no real consequence to me at this point in time. If my stalking is good and my aim and impact are good then i have become much more a part (and have a much better appericiation) of the natural order of things.

It also gives me something to strive for in my slinging. the ability to accurately place a stone/glande into a small area with enough force to do the demanding task that I want it to do.
Positive reinforcement at it most basic level

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:41pm

Well said!

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy)