Send Topic Print
Hunting with a sling (Read 7214 times)
Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Hunting with a sling
May 1st, 2006 at 7:55am

Hello slingers.
Have any of you ever hunted with a sling?
I almost hit a crow yesterday. It was siting in a tree
about 25 meters away. I missed it by only one inch.
If I had hit it, the crow it would be a very dead crow I think.
This was the first time I have aimed for a living thing and almost hit where I aimed (normaly I miss by a mile Roll Eyes). I was using the apache throwing style, and it looks that I have a greater chance of hiting anything using this style than any of the other types of throwing.
What is your prefered throwing style, and have you ever hunted with it?

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Hunting with a sling
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2006 at 3:29pm

According to Forsyth, the style he learned from that Mescalero Apache gentleman was intended for hunting.  Steven described his experience with an elderly lady who had herded sheep as a youth; her style was similar (a single swing with the whole arm, almost no wind-up), and she had killed many coyotes with her sling.

Hunting with a sling is discussed from time to time.  If you want to find other peoples' stories, just search in the forum for "hunting".  Be sure to change the settings for "Max Age since last post" and "Display how many results"-- the default values will only give you things posted in the last week.

I have not intentionally tried to hit any living thing, yet.  But if ground squirrels move into our garden, I am going to give it a try -- those rodents are very destructive.  On the other hand, if I miss the squirrels but damage the vegetables, my wife is going to be hunting ME!  Grin

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2006 at 3:47pm

Easy and humane fix.....trap the ground sqirrels....then then release them into the wild.

Might I recommend the overhand cast over water in this instance?

Cheesy

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2006 at 3:57pm

or even after trapping them, make some ground up squirrel meat.
Not that high in fat content but great meat for lets say lasagnas and such.

this is what my family does with squirrels when we go small game hunting with shotguns, tho this year I am gonna go into the woods and setup like 5 dozen snares and check them every night to see if i got something Smiley we'll see

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2006 at 5:02pm

I've never hunted with a sling. I see no point to killing something just to see how good I am.
Now, if I was going to eat it, make clothing and such....maybe. As it stands, the only animals that live in my area need not have an extra hunter on their backs. Undecided

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2006 at 4:02am

Here in Norway there is no ground squirrels, but the magpies and crows are considered pests. I have problems sleping at night because the magpies are maiking a hell of a noise outside my bedrom window.
They have made a roockery/nest (spellig?) i a nearby tree and they start making noise around four o clock in the morning. If I cannot scare them away with my sling I am thinking of using my airgun. And no, I am not going to eat them if I ever hit any of them. Smiley

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:29pm

i dont blame you for not eating the crows(not sure what a magpie is). I tried to actually eat a crow once, but the meat isnt that good. Its naturally tough and I didnt like the taste (they are scavengers so they dont eat the healtiest of food).

BLAH Lips Sealed

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:31pm

fi3l2 oh go eat crow

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2006 at 3:31pm

Bjärn,
I agree, killing should be done only for food: either you want the animal for food, or you want the animal to stop eating your food.

You might say, either you are inviting the animal to dinner (as main course), or you want the animal to stop inviting itself to dinner (in your garden).

Well, you might say that if you are a smart-a**  like me...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2006 at 9:07pm

blah Tongue

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2006 at 1:51am

Quote:
Here in Norway there is no ground squirrels, but the magpies and crows are considered pests. I have problems sleping at night because the magpies are maiking a hell of a noise outside my bedrom window.
They have made a roockery/nest (spellig?) i a nearby tree and they start making noise around four o clock in the morning. If I cannot scare them away with my sling I am thinking of using my airgun. And no, I am not going to eat them if I ever hit any of them. Smiley

I know your trouble, Rebel, as we have a bunch of squirrels living in the dormers of this house. Two of the dormers on the second storey have nests in them ( out of 10 windows total. ) As winter was coming, every morning at dawn I would wake up hearing "CRUNCH,  CRUNCH, CRUNCH" as the squirrels were apparently trying to enlarge their nests by chewing on the woodwork. The little bastards are slowly eating my house! And they don't pay rent!! Well, that's it for me ....... the goddamn squirrels gotta die!                                                      
     As this house is in town, I can't just blow their brains out ( too much noise ) and last year I bought a box trap, but they figured out how to take the bait without springing the trap! ( Clever little bastards ) Now that spring is here they have stopped eating the woodwork, but as you can see, this will require drastic measures. As my slinging is not accurate enough, I intend to try making some THROWING STICKS. THIS IS WAR!                                                                     
     Ill let you guys know how it works out.       .......Dan                  

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2006 at 12:13pm

slinger, you could try setting up snares for them on their favorite branches. 
You could even setup deadfalls, the figure4 isnt as hard to setup as ppl think as long as you have a pic of it handy  Tongue

Just make sure you check those snares often, wouldnt want a hanging squirrel on a limb for a few days, neighbors would think you're a lil weird

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #12 - May 4th, 2006 at 12:32am

Hello, fi3l2,                                                                                    
     Now that you mention it, fi3l2, we had a huge tree taken down last summer that was hanging over the house. It was a maple ( nice hardwood ) and I haven't cut it up yet. I'll try the figure 4 deadfall. Thanks for the good idea!                                          .......Dan      

IP Logged

pyja

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2006 at 10:48am

thanks to this website i built my own sling and i ll soon be ready to hunt birds on trees .
i wonder how to shoot running rabits ??
what is this apache way of slinging ?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - May 4th, 2006 at 1:13pm

Pyja,
in one of the articles at the main part of the site there is a describtion of making and using a sling, as told by a man who had Apache ancestors.
Here is a link to that page: http://www.slinging.org/22.html

Have fun.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)