Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How about embarassing stories? (Novel related) (Read 6037 times)
Kristal

How about embarassing stories? (Novel related)
Apr 28th, 2006 at 7:50pm

Thanks so much so far on my last question!  This was definitely the right place to come for information.

Ok, so my character is learning this new skill.     Grin

What are some funny and or embarrassing sling stories?  I would love to incorporate some of the learning curve with realistic experiences.

What were common blunders or mistakes that you did when you were first learning the skill? 

This could be a fun thread.  hehe.

--Kristal

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: How about embarassing stories? (Novel related)
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 8:38pm

The worst of my many blunders (so far....
(yikes  Lips Sealed )
) can be found here:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10816453...

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:11pm

Quote:
What were common blunders or mistakes that you did when you were first learning the skill?

Usually, either hitting yourself during windup (especially if you're learning the tennis/figure-8 method) or missing your target by a long shot as your projectile is strangely attracted to glass Wink.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:16pm

i think that techstuff's pretty much tops it, but anything that has to do with the stone going in the wrong direction and breaking something is pretty authentic, and has happened to almost every slinger on this site after a little practice.  Embarrassed  Cheesy
also, maybe you should put in a bit about a stone actaully going where he wants it to go, and making quite an impact, wether it be smashing a foam target board to little bits, or snapping a dead still standing sapling in half with a well placed stone.  or maybe you should have the stone slip out of the pouch and go straight up, only to land just a foot in front of him, after he gazes in all directions looking to see where it went.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:21pm

My worst blunders have been from three causes:
  • a badly braided sling (twisted under tension, dumped ammo out)
  • ammo not securely in pocket, slipped out in unintended direction (?? Now, where did that rockTHUD ... Owww)
  • badly timed release (let go of sling cord too soon, or too late)

Now, I suspect that with his(her?) gift, your character is not going to have much trouble with the third item, as his gift will guide his fingers.  But the first two sound like prime cadidates for comic relief, especially if he/she is very accustomed to doing things well, quickly.  I don't think the special gift is going to help much in braiding a sling straight, or (at least at first) in judging whether the rock is secure in the sling.

Playing with different styles that you see someone else doing, is also a source of amusement -- or pain.  I have scraped a rock across my shoulder blade, trying to learn a style where part of your swing is actually behind your back (the figure-8, or Nwmanitou, or Weaver, or any-number-of-other-names style, which was introduced here four times independently by four different people).  I also clipped myself in the jaw, when trying a style that (I thought) started with the sling draped across your shoulders, with the rock hanging in front.  It sounded like a good, harmless-looking way of holding the sling, where you could cast a stone in an instant.  Didn't work like it was supposed to.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:27pm

Not very humourous, but I believe that some members have nearly killed their family members, or have let family members try slinging, almost killing other family members or themselves in the process.

The worst I've done is have rocks shoot back at me (ricocheting), and having ammo ricochet off the ground into neighbor's property  Undecided

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 4:06am

And of course there are the hunting stories in which the animal is hurt but not killed in the first try.

If the opponent has a weapon he can use when apparently dead or badly hurt......

And a few stories about people aiming for an animal because they where sure they could not reach that far or accurate and killing it by accident.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 4:28am

Quote:

A common blunder when you first sling is when you go for the throw and realeasing the stone.  And then wondering were the stone went.  A few seconds latter the stone lands on the ground/on you're head with deadly force.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 8:53pm

I once was slinging stones to the ocean on a beach with my favourite sling.  Without thinking, I decided to try a style that I have never used before.  The stone flew great but the problem was that my sling sliped out of my fingers and flew fifty feet towards the ocean.  I dove (fully clothed with shoes on) to get it back!  Luckily it floats, otherwise I would have gotten myself into the ice-cold water for nothing! Tongue

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 9:03pm

well i have two i'll share..

at a local football field i was trying out something i saw on xena wich involved a sling and the helicopter style the only problem was that my stone did not go where i wanted it to go it instead went through the window of the nearby clubhouse (never tried the helicopter move again)

while trying to figure out a spun overhand throw i found that my chosen stone had not left my sling..i found this out since it hit me in a Very sensitive area...Auw Embarrassed(needles to say i never tried that one again either...)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 3:02pm

I have two as well.
They have mostly to do with sling design.

The first time I attempted traditional slinging I drove out into a near by field, making sure I was away from everything. I cut the cords from my staff sling in a moment of improvation, picked up a pebble the size of a small marble, and gave it a go.
Wham!!!

Suddenly my eyes were watery and I felt dizzy. The pebble had never left the pouch (the pouch design was faulty, made for trebuchets and large ammo), and struck me behind the head. I'm very glad that it was just a pebble. To this day I thank my lucky stars I didn't try slinging hard my first time.

My second story is similar to Tints. I was at an archery shooting match surrounded by compound bow shooters. I had spent most of the morning trying to make good with the officers of the range by volunteering so that they wouldn't mind me slinging. They didn't mind it seemed, so I went through the course slinging pine cones, until very suddenly a blister ripped open in mid-swing (poor retention cord design, and too much zeal), sending my pinecone barely humming over the heads of 20 or so people, and tearing the very sling from my hand. To my shame, I cried out in pain and everyone looked my way. The president of the range even came trotting over to see if I was ok. No one seemed to notice the rouge pinecone, but they all saw my soaring sling.
Embarrassed

I hope you find this useful.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - May 1st, 2006 at 1:58pm

Oh, man ... if Kristal uses half the hit-myself-in-the-head stories we have shared amongst us here ... her poor character is going to end up buried somewhere, and the rest of the people in the book are going to have to finish the story without him.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2006 at 2:15pm

I for one, am empathetic to the possibility, though I hope that he is perceptive enough to avoid such happenstance. Should he prove strong enough to effect a speedy healing to precisely his former condition upon meeting such occurrences....I shan't be surprised.

Cheesy

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Kristal

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2006 at 7:05pm

Quote:
I for one, am empathetic to the possibility, though I hope that he is perceptive enough to avoid such happenstance. Should he prove strong enough to effect a speedy healing to precisely his former condition upon meeting such occurrences....I shan't be surprised.

Cheesy

TS

LOL.

Grin

--Kristal

IP Logged

Leeds-Lobber

Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2006 at 11:52am

Nearly slew my eldest daughter when she was about 4 - using the helicopter method on a beach, stone flew sideways and literally parted her hair.

I have bounced a rock through someone's picnic... managed to get my sling in a pocket and stand there with a 'now where did THAT come from?' look on my face.

Killed a duck while on holiday. I was so sure I was going to miss it. It expoded. This was not a 'wild duck on a lake in the middle of nowhere' situation. This was a 'tame duck in front of a lot of families on a river near a campsite' situation. Very embarassing indeed.

You don't know how many terrifying possibilities there are with a slinging newbie, until you have tried teaching someone to sling. Do I cover my face? My testicles? Can i look coolly educative while cowering behind that tree? Would my student consider letting me stand in the next field and talk him through his technique by Mobile Phone? It is a genuinely horrible feeling!

Pat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)