Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Writing a Novel...looking for sling advice. (Read 6541 times)
Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: Writing a Novel...looking for sling advice.
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 2:33am

Greetings, Kristal,                                                                      
      Your project is very interesting and I applaud you for taking the time to do research to insure technical accuracy! I am particularly disgusted with the complete CRAP that comes out of Hollywood these days. It is ANNOYING beyond words to pay money to watch movies that contain howling technical errors.                                             
      Also, there is no doubt in my mind that the sling has been "short changed" in both literature and film. There is ample evidence of the widespread use of the sling all over the globe from neolithic times to the present.  Thank you for giving the sling it's due.                           
      Let me just suggest going back a page or two on this forum to the thread started by mgreenfield entitled "Hints to Increase Accuracy" as several of us posted on this thread about our experiences trying to make our slinging more accurate. Your character could go through something similar, but of course within a compressed time frame because of his special power.                      
      Also, if you've ever seen the movie "Clan of the Cave Bear" it was interesting to watch Ayla learn to sling. I thought the movie was OK but I have never read the book. A friend who really loved all of the novels in the series told me the movie was OK but the book was MUCH better. It is one of the few movies I've seen that has any slinging in it at all.                                                                         
      Best of luck with your project and if you have questions, believe me, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!                         .......Dan   

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 3:41am

Kristal,                                                                                       
      I added some comments to the thread "Hints to Increase Accuracy" and it should now be on page 1 not far from this thread. I hope you find this information useful.                                           
                                                                             .......Dan

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 3:59am

And Kristal,
as said slinging a few yourself is very usefull, my way of not getting hurt in the process was using balls. I started with soft, sloppy, childrens playballs the size of a tennisball. You can also use tennisballs themselfs.

I now use balls golfball size but rather light and hardly bouncy but they do alow me to sling in a park, no way I can hurt anyone with them.
After a few tries you can move on to heavier ammo too, because you have learned the basics.

And the precision of a farmboy might be real high, especially if he has used the sling most of his life either to hunt or to protect his flock.
And sheep herders use (in some places still) the sling to place a stone just beyond the sheep they want to turn around. You do not want to miss your target and hit your sheep when you do that.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:41am

Kristal,

Your novel sounds really cool.  I am writing a fantasy epic story about a slinger too!  But your plot sounds a lot more complex and I am writing in Chinese.  So we are not direct competitors.

I really like the special powers in your world.  They make the characters special yet believable.  What is healing power?  is it to heal others? or just the person who process the power? or both?

As far as slinging goes.  I would recommand the helicopter style.  There are a few reasons for this:

1)  It is easy to visualise.  Everyone have seen someone else swing a flexible object overhead at one time or another ie.  cowboy with a rope.  It make a lot of sense even to readers who have very little understanding of physical activities and I believe this is the style that most people would try when they pick up the sling for the first time without a demonstration beforehand.

2)  It is relatively powerful.

3)  Can be used with any length of sling. (unlike the figure 8 and other styles with vertical wind up)  

4)  In situations where the character need to be one against many.  The helicopter style with an extended wind up would make every man standing on the same level, even those standing behind him, a potential target.

5)  The rapid fire move (a rather advance technique that reload the sling quickly), should you decide the  character to be able to perform it, can easily be done with this style.

The major draw back with it is that it does take a while to get the momentum for good power.  Also it takes a bit of open space to perform the move.

It would make sense that the character would start the cross train between different styles over time.  He may have a favourite move but as he gets to be more adept with the sling, I believe he would want to experiment with other ways to throw.

I think there is a common misconception amoung non-slingers that longer wind ups means more power.  To us slingers, it is like Popeye swinging his fist around his shoulder a hundred times before punching the bad guy, it make no sense.  Unless your character is using an extra long sling (4ft or more, I'd say) he would release the stone with no more than 3 rotations for optium power.  He might want to have an extended wind up while waiting for the right time to release or have a few extra rotatoins to get himself ready but he wouldn't do it to gain extra momentum for the shot.

Good luck with your story.  I'd love to read it someday.  Please let us know when it is done.

You ought to know by now if you have anymore questions, we are egar to help!

Peace,

Tint  

IP Logged

Kristal

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 10:30pm

Quote:
Kristal,

Your novel sounds really cool.  I am writing a fantasy epic story about a slinger too!  But your plot sounds a lot more complex and I am writing in Chinese.  So we are not direct competitors.

I really like the special powers in your world.  They make the characters special yet believable.  What is healing power?  is it to heal others? or just the person who process the power? or both?

As far as slinging goes.  I would recommand the helicopter style.  There are a few reasons for this:

1)  It is easy to visualise.  Everyone have seen someone else swing a flexible object overhead at one time or another ie.  cowboy with a rope.  It make a lot of sense even to readers who have very little understanding of physical activities and I believe this is the style that most people would try when they pick up the sling for the first time without a demonstration beforehand.

2)  It is relatively powerful.

3)  Can be used with any length of sling. (unlike the figure 8 and other styles with vertical wind up) 

4)  In situations where the character need to be one against many.  The helicopter style with an extended wind up would make every man standing on the same level, even those standing behind him, a potential target.

5)  The rapid fire move (a rather advance technique that reload the sling quickly), should you decide the  character to be able to perform it, can easily be done with this style.

The major draw back with it is that it does take a while to get the momentum for good power.  Also it takes a bit of open space to perform the move.

It would make sense that the character would start the cross train between different styles over time.  He may have a favourite move but as he gets to be more adept with the sling, I believe he would want to experiment with other ways to throw.

I think there is a common misconception amoung non-slingers that longer wind ups means more power.  To us slingers, it is like Popeye swinging his fist around his shoulder a hundred times before punching the bad guy, it make no sense.  Unless your character is using an extra long sling (4ft or more, I'd say) he would release the stone with no more than 3 rotations for optium power.  He might want to have an extended wind up while waiting for the right time to release or have a few extra rotatoins to get himself ready but he wouldn't do it to gain extra momentum for the shot.

Good luck with your story.  I'd love to read it someday.  Please let us know when it is done.

You ought to know by now if you have anymore questions, we are egar to help!

Peace,

Tint   

Wow, a Chinese fantasy novel?  Do you mean you are actually writing it in Chinese or it is about Chinese?

The healing power in my book is both self and other healing.  However, when they heal someone else, they absorb their wounds first, and then heal them with their own body.  So you can see that a healer must like you to want to heal you...because they will have to momentarily go through your pain.  They also can't heal if the person is already dead, because it will kill them.  However, it will bring the other back to life. 

Thanks for all the info!  You guys are great.

--Kristal

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #20 - May 1st, 2006 at 12:29am

The book I'm writing is in Chinese, that's my first language.

I asked about the power of healing because out of all the powers this one sounds the most super-natural.  Everyone process the other qualities in a lesser degree and they can be trained (may be not perception and empathy).  However, a person with the healing power could perform what would be considered miracles in the real world.

That is just my first thought when I saw the list of powers. 

Have you tried slinging yet?

IP Logged

Legionare_Atimon
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 1:29pm

This might be off topic. I am preparing to start a novel about something roman don't quite know the plot yet but it will be about something roman with lots of battle. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a good site about roman slingers, archers, etc. etc. Being 14 I don't like doing research very much just writing the story but to have a good story you have to commit to long hours of research (my downfall) Also if you have a good idea for a plot or story let me know you will certainly be mentioned in the stroy wether if it is dedicated to you or your like the centurion of the Baelic slingers. Is that right Baelic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)