Send Topic Print
Knot to pouch (Read 3189 times)
Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Knot to pouch
Apr 27th, 2006 at 2:24pm

This knot secure enough? Opinions welcome.

Cord up through hole in pouch; wraped around pouch and then the line passed under the existing wrap. There is an overhand stopper knot in end of cord to keep the end of the line in place.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:53pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Re: Knot to pouch
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 2:35pm

One way to find out.... Wink

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 5:16pm

Too true Roy...  Smiley

It could be time to:

DUCK & COVER Cry

Won't know without more testing. I've been using this with large pocket tennis ball sling and it's been ok there. This pouch is optimized in size for 2-4 oz. (57-114 gram) lead football sinkers. Time and usage will tell.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 5:40pm

It is one of the iffy ones.
If the cord has enough friction, a rough surface structure, it can be enough.
But if it is a slippery rope you will need to retie the knot every so often, in that case, look for a different knot.

Check the knot after the first 5 throws, again after each fifth for 5 times, and afterwards for 5 sessions of slinging before and after slinging.

In the first 5 throws a little slippage is natural, it is called setting. If you feel the need to retie the knot within the first 25 throws, stop using it.
But if it stays stable for above testing periode I would trust it. But keep an eye on it.

As I said, it is an iffy one.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 5:47pm

it looks pretty solid.  however, i think that you should trust willike on it, her being the authority on knots and what not around here.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 8:13pm

Quote:
It is one of the iffy ones.....
Check the knot after the first 5 throws, again after each fifth for 5 times, and afterwards for 5 sessions of slinging before and after slinging.
...keep an eye on it.

As I said, it is an iffy one.

Willeke

Thanks Willeke.
I'll continue to use it... and watch it closely. I 'll dunk the knot into PVA glue ( white ) to keep it from loosing itself.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:56pm by Steven »  

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 11:58pm

now THAT'S a good way to make sure the knot is secure Grin

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 1:48am

Here is another way to attach cords to pouch.
Cord goes up through hole, around itself and back down through hole, then draw the end back through the loop and then tie a figure-8 stopper knot, being sure to include the other side of the string in the knot.

EDIT, MUCH LATER:  It has been pointed out to me that it is easier to tie the loop in the end of the cord, and then push the end of the loop through the leather.  Also, remember to cinch the knot down snugly, which will help keep it secure.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:53pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 11:05am

me i used a hangmans noose when i had slings like thet (long time ago since i have no leather resourses anymore (wich is sad i liked those things Sad )

Taiki  
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 9:30am

Either a bowline or two half-hitches will work. Both are high strength and tighten when under stress.

IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 12:31pm

that knot is called a sheet bend, and i would recommend a noose over that one, or at least a quick noose

Loki

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)