siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
string sling
Apr 23rd, 2006 at 2:52pm

i am aware that there is already a string sling tutorial here:
http://slinging.org/42.html
but i was unable to figure out the knots for this sling until recently, and recognizing the usefull properties of being able to tie a sling out of a peice of string, i ventured out to try to figure out a knot that would work as a substitute.  the results are as follows.

i prefer this to the one that was previously established, because i think that it is simpler and easier to tie, once you get the hang of it. 

you start out with loops like this, as long as you want the pocket to be.

i laid the strings on the ground for this part, because it is easier to see what is going on this way, but i actaully do all of this in my hand.
you then pull the cord around the top loop and make another loop above it. 

you take the end over the rest of the string, and...

take it through the loop...

and pull it tight.  you may have to slide the knot to the end of the loop, buit either way  it is easy to do this step.

you turn the thing around and repeat on the other side.

you can tie a simple knot like this for the finger loop;

or you can tie this kind of knot(the name escapes me at the moment);

for the release knot, i use a figure eight, as it is bigger than a usual overhand knot, and it can be undone pretty easily;

start with an overhand knot, then add an extra twist to the cross, and pull the end of the tring through.

here is a giant sling i made with a 1 cm diameter rope.  turns out it makes a pretty good swing. 

i am in this one to show the size comparison.  i am 5' 5" or 165 cm tall.

here is my brother sitting in it.  sorry he is sortof low; i couln't hold him up for as long as i was waiting for the camera's timer went off.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: string sling
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 3:03pm

Nice sling.
By the way, the knot for the loop is the bowline.
These knots will adjust faster than those in the instructions on the tutorial, but might be a little harder to remove after use. But they are also a little smaller. And you only have to undo one, the other will be a slipknot then.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 3:08pm

yes, exactly.  i find that the knots actaully do come out pretty easily, depending on the string you use.   and the other one will come out as a slipknot unless you cross the cords during the tying proccess, then if you try to slip it out, it ends up as a little knot in your cord, and you have to pry it out.  thanks

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 9:47pm

so how far can you sling your brother?

sorry I couldnt resist that one Grin. Actually this is a good tutorial for beginners. Too bad we didn't have it when that guy came around asking how to make a sling out a single cord.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:33am

yeah, that is too bad.  oh well, for the future guys who come around looking to make a sling out of a single cord. Grin

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 3:33pm

Have you tried slinging a basketball with that? I bet it would be awesome if you were in a gym (and were able to sling such a large projectile properly).

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 4:49pm

i have made one big enough to sling a basketball, but i never had the chance to try it.  you can bet that sling  had a wrist loop instead of a finger loop. 

i just returned from a nice long walk out in the woods, and i took my big rope along with me.  so we came to a clearing that had a big pine tree in it, and i made a that giant sling again, but without the loop and retention node.  i tied it up on a horizontal branch, and then sat back and relaxed. it sortof hurt my rear end, but it was okay.  maybe if i wove another rope into the pouch as with willeke's mini, it would be more comfortable.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 4:01pm

actually i tried a football today i got bored and some fellas i used to know from school where playing soccer at the field i sling at so i ran up home again went to fetch a length of rope and ran back Tongue i didn't get it very far but it Did work Shocked next time i'm gonna try a shorter version Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 7:03pm

i've personally never tried to make a sling large enough to throw basketballs, footballs or brothers (i'd LOVE one of the brother firing slings, just give me the weight to range ratio and the right cord: and he'll be gone for a while Tongue) thanks for the pix
Tito

btw: no offence to your brother, but he looks a bit more female than male Undecided

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 7:17pm

check the 'what you look like' thread so that we don't get into that here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)