Three string sling (Read 1315 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Three string sling
Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:35pm

I know this was mentioned before but i couldnt find it. Any way I am working on a sling with a single braided retention cord. the realese cord is two separate cords slightly laced into a leather pouch. The pouch is tear drop shape (zorros shape). The narrow end of the pouch is split. This is the release side. I believe the allows the stone to release with less obstruction. Like pitching a fastball. I threw around thirty rocks or so. Not one tangle and the lighter seperate cords make a nice little crack sound. Ill post pics after i work out the complete design.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Three string sling
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 5:23pm

You will just have to do a forum search for it.

There should be some pictures of a three string sling in the pictures section.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 2:03pm

Here are a couple of links to three-cord slings, found by searching in the forum.

Mgreenfield made
this one
.  It was designed for golf balls.  the release cord is the single cord, the retained cord is split.

LoboHunter made a very similar
three-corner sling
, entirely of leather.

Here is a
brief discussion of three-cord slings
; the last post has pictures of a three-cord and a four-cord sling (Findlay's four-cord sling is very similar to TechStuf's StarPocket design; Findlay has longer ears on the corners of the pouch).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 11:52am

Dork

Your split front pouch idea has great possibilities. Is it easy for you to control pouch orientation? For me it’s been frustration with long slings. I’ve been using two slings with what I call forked release pouches for a while for slinging baseballs. My version has only one release cord with a trip hook that lets the front of pouch to flap open.
A release hook (roller nut) is standard on all of my current slings.

POUCH  LENGTH  25cm
                WIDTH     5cm
Each side of the pouch release is 10 cm long with a small loop of cord attached to forward end. The single hook holds both small loops until a short (18cm) branch of the retention cord rotates it around. The thin cowhide pouch is very soft and pliable, so the forked front separates just fine and with silence---that slinging bugaboo---oh well--LOL!

I did the split pouch release as an experiment to sling baseballs with minimum or no spin. It works great, pouch orientation no longer matters (slings are over 1.5m folded).

No more thoughts about backspin, topspin, Magnus effect, lateral precession.
Just use narrow grip and watch as the ammo gets up and goes!

Most of the previous experiments were to augment backspin and get more distance for a given elevation angle. It was fun and results good, but the equipment can be quite complex. Now the elevation angle can be greater than my usual 25 degrees or so while consistently eliminating both cord and pouch interaction at release.

So does my 18cm trip cord qualify as a third cord or is it slinging treason?

for similar sling see reply#17 at link
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10599949...

Tom

SPLIT A LITTLE                                       

LOOPS

OPEN VIEW

GRIPPED
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2006 at 11:06am by Thomas »  

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 2:13pm

Thomas,

I look forward to seeing the picture.  As part of the "gadget freak" subculture here at Slinging.org, I relish your posts!

Ah! You edited your previous post and added the pictures!  I guess I had better edit MY post and note that the pictures are now there -- otherwise I look like I am blind...  Grin  Thanks, Thomas!
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006 at 4:50pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 6:51pm

Hmm looking at my old post made me wonder about the back spin tech used by Rock chucker with this type of sling. A report is soon to follow

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 9:35pm

Thomas your sling sounds very interesting. Hard to invision. As far as the control of the one i made, I think it was the accurate to use. The biggest down fall is i cant load it as fast. You have to make sure the release cords arent tangled. Although i never tried to use it when it was tangled.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark)