Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A couple questions...... (Read 1467 times)
turtlepee
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

A couple questions......
Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:32pm

just wondering, is a cut up tank-top a good material for a sling? I need to know because i have no lether and don't know what makes a sling easily. Also, does the weight of a sling without a rock in it really matter that much?? I want to know because i made a sling from stiff, thick paper and rope, and it wasn't very good. Thanks for replies.

Turtlepee!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: A couple questions......
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 5:48pm

a cut up tank top can work, but it might not work well.  i suggest you cut a square of the matierial, then do something like what is pictured in the link below.
the weight of a sling can matter, but the stiffness of the materials matter more.  stiff paper and rope can make it so that the sling will not become tuaght(sp?) when a stone is placed in the pouch, uinless it is very heavy.  if you use a peice of tank top and some lighter string(some cotton twine or something like that will work fine)

http://www.slinging.org/images/nergaard/IMG_5453.JPG
this is one of gard's slings.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:37pm

welcome.

if you use the shirt it will most likely rip, as it is only cotton (i'm assuming). if it is really all that you have available, use this knot http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/sheetbend.htm

Just substitue the rope on the left with your tank top. Don't use a heavy rope; a shoelace would me more appropriate.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:45am

Smiley Turtlepee, greetings and welcome to the forum! Trust me, you're gonna love slinging! I was out just a few hours ago in the late afternoon. I hurled just a handfull of stones, but it was fun. Slinging is addicting.                                                                                          
     I suggest going to the how-to articles and the member gallery. You will get all sorts of ideas. There is a how-to article on how to make a sling from just rope and several discussions on the forum on the same idea. My feeling is that tank top material will not last long, but don't let this stop you. There is more than one way to skin a cat ( to make a sling. ) I have been using a rope sling for about three months now with good results. Anyway, welcome aboard!               .......Dan

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 8:25am

i would suggest a simple sling with a bowline split pouch - a pouch of material (leather, tank-top, whatever) can't go wrong if it isn't there

if you search for "my slings" by tito, there are some great bowline examples among his splendid collection

sv

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:17pm

turtlepee, i have thought of another solution.   if you were to braid a sling like the one in this link;
http://slinging.org/20.html
then you could use the shirt material for the pouch material in an apache sling like this one, since these two are the same except for the solid pouch pouch or lack thereof;
http://slinging.org/22.html
that way you would end up with an apache sling. 
i did the same thing with my split pouch braided slings, but i used some felt i had laying around the house.  i had no leather at the time, so that was my only solution.  it works well, and my brother is still using an apache sling with a felt pouch.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

turtlepee
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:36pm

turns out that t'shirt ain't to good. It will go about 50 feet. or about behind the house across from me. I mean that the sling doesn't go as far as the well know sling-shot that will shoot an acre. I don't really recommend using t's for slings. The t's will curl and make it so barley anything will fit in it. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:17pm

If you dont have leather and braiding is not your thing, I would use denim, or a heavy gage nylon(old seat belt) nylon can be a little slippery. Whatever frabri you use make sure you hem any torn or cut edge including any wholes punched. Fold over and hand sew the edges. you do not want the pouch to rip in mid swing. I always figure the speed of the swing puts the stone under (guessing) more than 10 G's. That kind of power unleashed at the wrong time can prove fatal. never shortcut material safety.

IP Logged

Duane_Dibbley
Tiro

What a Dibbley!

Downstate NY, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 8:48am

Welcome Turtlepee,

If you want to or have to use pure cotton then a braided sling is probbly the best way to go.  BUT, they are fairly prone to slippage and for that reason may not be the ideal soil for your budding obsession.  May I suggest what is referred to on this site as a "drawstring pouch"?

Denim is good, and cotton t-shirts WILL work, but fold your pouch into layers, and sew them together.  This will help avoid excessive "cuppage" of the stone; your 50' throws were probably the result of this little teaser.

Weight is not much of an issue but sling length and material flexibility are, so experiment, be prepared for a steep learning curve. 

Go now, frolic and make merry in the glory that is "sling"   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)