Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My first Atlatl! (Read 5653 times)
Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

My first Atlatl!
Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:28pm

I finally completed my first atlatl. Sorry I am not an adept photographer.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0032.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0034.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0035.jpg

The majority is made from an old oak board that has been stored in my garage for over a decade. I decided to go for a hammer style grip as it seemed most natural to me. The dart rest was a later addition when i realised that holding the dart in the same place for each throw was difficult, particularly as I am a begginner. The spike to place in the nock of the dart (I am insure of its real name) is made of an old bolt I filed down (I hope to replace this with horn or bone when i get some). The atlatl weight (made from slate) was the third I designed, it seemed to feel most natural and gave the best accuracy (this however could be due to more practice). Your critiques are welcome!
Oh and here is a picture of my latest sling!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0013.jpg

Coops   Grin

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: My first Atlatl!
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Coops,
I like what I see in the Atlatl, but I have never used one, I am not even sure I have seen one, so that is not worth a lot.
I am better suited to judge ropework.
And that is a very fine piece you show in that last pic.

How well do the atlatl and the sling work?
And do you have also pictures of your darts?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:55pm

Thanks for the praise on the sling! I have been trying to get my dad to teach me to splice rope for ages, and now that he finally did I thought it would make a perfect sling. The knot on the end is a Carrick mat that I modified into a cylinder to hold the hardwood peg for the release knot. I am beggining to achieve accuracy with the atlatl, but with the sling I am doing less well (mostly due to lack of a safe place to practice). I have made darts from both bamboo and birch dowel with copper and steel tips respectively. I will try to get a photo soon.

Coops

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:11pm

that is a very nice atlatl, and i love your sling.  it seems as though there are several slingers on this site that are coming to the conclusion that  a spliced rope would make a good sling, which is cool. 
i personaly would also like to learn splicing, but i guess i will have to wait to find someone that can teach me.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:23pm

I had previously ignored the idea of using hawser laid rope for slings thinking it would twist and the cords would tangle. This problem does not seemed to have emerged, on this sling at least. Splicing really is not that hard its just a bit fiddly to do it with small stuff. Start off with a larger diameter rope and check out this website.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/eyesplicingeli.htm
Don't forget to tape up the rope to prevent it becoming overly untwisted!
Coops

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:28pm

Hey I learned that in Sea Scouts.  Smiley

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:31pm

Some of the best rope workers I know are sea scouts! I am sure you could teach me a thing or two.
Coops

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 6:10pm

Not to good with the rope, just telling people what to do.  Im a boatswains mate.  If your the age you should join its pretty fun.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 7:00pm

Quote:
The spike to place in the nock of the dart (I am insure of its real name) is made of an old bolt I filed down...

Yes, Dart is the correct terminology for english.

That is indeed a very fine at'latl Smiley

O and you can actually put the photos right into the post, just put the tags {img} and  {/img} on either side of the URL. Replace the {} with [], I just don't know the proper way to display those tags without them thinking i have an image to show.

O and nice sling as well, what is it made out of?

P.S. at http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11452094... you said Quote:
So far i have made blowguns, slings, an atlatl, slinshot, club, bolas, pistol crossbow, staff-sling, longbow (which broke), bow drill.............. the list goes on

Feel free (polite way of saying 'please') to post pics and/or info of all these.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 11:10pm

cando, from what i feel, he was asking as to the name of the little spike that the dart goes onto. 

coops, since you are using photobucket, you can imbed the images by copy and pasting the code that is in the window labeled "img" and not "url".

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:25am

To see how others put photos in their posts, go to a post and click on quote.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:56am

Glad you like the atlatl! I was asking about the name of the spike but I see now that I could just as easily be asking for the name of the dart. Sorry for the confusion.
I realised i could put the images directly into the posts but i felt I would leave them as links as they are quite large to be loaded up all at once (especially for those still using a 56k modem)
I will post photos of the other items in the near future if thats what you guys want. Thankyou for such a good welcome to the forum!
The sling is made of spliced rope (nylon I think) as metioned in a previous post.
Have any of you made atlatls before? I would be happy to see your ideas and any pictures of slings.

Happy slinging/atlatling
Coops Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:51am

Wow! Nice atlatl! Normally, we call the little spike "The spur" or, like my friend, who is terminally gutter minded, "the nipple" but that's just him and most people refer to it as the spur. The sling looks great, as well, and I can honestly say that I am most jealous of both your atlatl and sling building skills! Keep up the good work and please post more pictures of your other works. I may be able to get some inspiration.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 11:10am

Glad you liked the atlatl, it took me a whole month (on and off) to build it but now it has finally come to the stage where I am satisfied with the design. I have heard about adding a further dart rest which "grips" the dart instead of you having to use your fingers. Having only a little knowledge about it I decided to omit that from the design. Does anyone have any further details on this form of dart "grip"?

Thanks for enlightening me about the name of the spur. This website is the best I know for inspiration. It has been the brainchild for nearly all my primitive ideas.

Speaking of my other works here is a picture of my bolas. Sorry again for the rudimentary photography.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0036.jpg

The two sphereroidal weights are beach pebbles held within Turk's head knots. The rope is a braided  polypropelene (I think) that I purchased from a local yacht chandler. The handle is some form of bloodknot (from what little I remember about knots, I just made it up as I went along). I weighted the handle by filling the centre of the rope with a core of lead pipe solder.

Hope you like it,
Coops
Cheesy

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:28pm

once again nice atlatl (i bet your getting sick of hearing it Tongue) i like the bola's too what are the dementions cause before i read the discription i had the idea i was looking at a prototype of maybe the size of a keychain but After reding the description i'm pretty sure that is not the case Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)