Send Topic Print
Yikes! (Read 1989 times)
Duane_Dibbley
Tiro

What a Dibbley!

Downstate NY, USA
Yikes!
Apr 17th, 2006 at 6:30pm

So, I was on my way to the creek today slinging stones at various targets and I missed.  BUT, I didn't miss safely, no-siree.  The stone blasted a sapling only about 10 feet in front of me instead of the safer, distant one, ricochetted straight up-right into the sun and plowed into the earth not 1 foot to my right....

But wait, there's more....

Somehow, I make it to the creek alive, and begin hurling stones at a boulder in the middle of it, say, 60 feet away.  The stones usually shatter when they hit and this particular stone was no exception.  In fact, it exploded like Alderran under the Death Star and sent a shower of jagged stone bumble bees right at my....

.....eyes!  You guessed it!  Thank goodness for sun glasses!  Anyone have stories they'd like to share?

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: Yikes!
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 7:30pm

That, my friend, is why I use tennis balls... Now if only I had a syringe Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 7:33pm

go to a vet/docter and explain why you want one he might part with one of his bigger ones Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 7:39pm

Sixty feet (18 metres) away, and the shards still ricocheted back at you!  Wow!

My slinging has been much safer.  I've never hit myself once I let a rock go.  However, I have bounced rocks off various parts of my anatomy while they were in the sling...  you know the figure-8 technique, where the sling swings once behind your back?  Don't swing too close to your back, your shoulder blade kind of sticks out when your arm is bent back over your head... That hurt!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 8:08pm

similar thing with one of yureks styles. (kind of hard to describe the way i sling for long range, just look at yureks videos, some of them are of him in a large area and he kind of winds the sling up behind his back and runs forward at the same time, releasing overarm.)  my right leg crosses behind my left just as i rotate to get the last bit of power out of the shot. anyway the rock smashed into my right shin...i had that bruise for weeks Tongue
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 8:20am

the vsame thing happend to me yesterday.

i cast most powerfull with similar (stationary, halfturn method - underhand windup and side release)

it turned blue in the same second i hit miself

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 9:04am

Quote:
Sixty feet (18 metres) away, and the shards still ricocheted back at you!  Wow!

My slinging has been much safer.  I've never hit myself once I let a rock go.  However, I have bounced rocks off various parts of my anatomy while they were in the sling...  you know the figure-8 technique, where the sling swings once behind your back?  Don't swing too close to your back, your shoulder blade kind of sticks out when your arm is bent back over your head... That hurt!

I was once trying an overhand throw with several wind-ups. I still hadn't learned the figure-8 yet, so the wind-ups were only on the right side. Just before I was going to release, when I had the most speed I could get in the sling, I hit myself in the knee! My god, that hurt. I began seeing yellow dots in front of me, and I felt cold and sweaty. So I had to sit down until I was in such good condition that I was able to walk. I had a blue knee for two weeks.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Duane_Dibbley
Tiro

What a Dibbley!

Downstate NY, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 4:07pm

Yes, Tito, Gard!  That's the good stuff! 

Hooray experience!!!

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 1:39am

I once hucked a rock into the woods, and it bounced off of one tree and hit another, which in turn caused it to bouce back into the first tree and then back again into the second. It was quite a sight. *thockthockthockthock!* I was kind of standing still for a bit hoping it wouldn't bouce back at me, but it didn't.

The worst ones are those that slip out of the pouch and go straight up, and you're too afraid to look up to see where it went. All you do is stay in one spot hoping to hear it hit the dirt!

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 2:06am

Quote:
The worst ones are those that slip out of the pouch and go straight up, and you're too afraid to look up to see where it went. All you do is stay in one spot hoping to hear it hit the dirt!

I could see this as a Darwin Award. Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 6:28am

Ow yeah Cheesy

Taiki  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 10:29pm

Quote:
I once hucked a rock into the woods, and it bounced off of one tree and hit another, which in turn caused it to bouce back into the first tree and then back again into the second. It was quite a sight. *thockthockthockthock!* I was kind of standing still for a bit hoping it wouldn't bouce back at me, but it didn't.

Slingers!                                                                                       

I have had this happen to me several times and it is certainly unnerving! If I'm not mistaken, if we were talking about baseball this would be called a "pop fly." ???                                                      
      As I work in a hospital and know how serious head injury can be, I developed an EMERGENCY DRILL for this kind of scenario:            
     If you feel the stone leave the sling pouch BEFORE your intended release, do not look for it. Instead, assume the worst, that you are about to be hit. IMMEDIATELY protect your head by raising both arms over your head with your forearms together parallel to each other. If the stone hits the dirt, so much the better. If the stone falls straight down on top of you it will hit your forearms instead of your head! 
     It is a good idea to practice this drill several times so you can react quickly if need be as you may have only a second or two before the stone comes straight down on your head. You must be able to react QUICKLY. Try it!                                                 .......Dan

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 11:08pm

good thought. it might also be a good idea to shout "HEADS" as you are covering your head.  Grin

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:30pm

only problem is that then everyone else looks up  Tongue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)