Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi There! (Read 2869 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Hi There!
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 4:19am

It depends, for me, on how I'm feeling that day, and on how many feathers I have.  I love the Indian eastern woodlands spiral fletching, so I try to do that on both arrows and darts - only requires two feathers, it's authentically primitive, looks really brilliant, and is accurate, because it causes the shaft to spin like a rifled bullet.  Or sometimes I'll use three feathers.  I don't use glue to hold the feathers to the shaft, but I do use some resin to secure the bindings.  If you want to find out more about the two feather spiral fletch, I'd advise the purchase of "The Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers, vol 1", by Jim Hamm and Steve Allely.  I'd buy it anyway, if I were you.  It's great.

IP Logged

Kyle
Novicius

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: Hi There!
Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 11:23am

I split the feather down the vane and discard the smaller side.  Then I trim the feathers at each end.  I tack three feathers at approximately equal angles around the spear shaft, and usually gule down the length of each feather with a hot glue gun.  Then  I use rafia to bind the feather to shaft at each end of the feather, going around a bunch of times and then coating the rafia in a thin layer of white glue.  I find it protects the feathers from being ripped off when the spear goes through a target.

Primitive Ballistics Manitoba: www.freewebs.com/ballisticsmanitoba
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)