Send Topic Print
Hi There! (Read 2864 times)
Kyle
Novicius

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hi There!
Apr 14th, 2006 at 6:31pm

Hi!

I'm Kyle, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  This a great site!  I've just started practicing with slings, but the ones I've made seem to work well so far.  It's easier than I thought it would be!  I've also been playing around with the atlatl for about eleven years, but I'm still better at making them then using them! Smiley  I also do a bit of knife throwing, as well as martial arts (www.innovativema.ca).  Anyone else from Manitoba?

Primitive Ballistics Manitoba: www.freewebs.com/ballisticsmanitoba
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Hi There!
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Welcome, Kyle!  I wonder if the atlatl (et cetera) practice has given you a head start on slinging, or if you just have greater dexterity than me.  I'm glad you are doing well.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:11pm

Welcome Kyle!

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:21am

Welcome! Hope you have a great time here, and that you learn a lot, I have! Smiley

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Duane_Dibbley
Tiro

What a Dibbley!

Downstate NY, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 2:14pm

Hi Kyle,  how do you get those atlatls to work?  I'm good at hitting the ground about 4 feet in front of me, but not much else!

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:15pm

Welcome. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to post them. There are many knowledgeable slingers here and they're always willing to help. I myself have learned a lot from them.  Smiley

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:24pm

Welcome!
Im a Canadian slinger too!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 7:28pm

hi kyle, and welcome to slinging.org
i think that you will enjoy being a part of the community, and at the risk of quoting someone else, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  there is a plethora of knowledge between all of the members of this site, and it can all be unlocked with a simple post(and the consequating responses, of course). 
anyways, welcome and i hope you enjoy this new found hobby.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Kyle
Novicius

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:39pm

Thanks!

Quote:
Hi Kyle,  how do you get those atlatls to work?  I'm good at hitting the ground about 4 feet in front of me, but not much else!

Well, when you're starting, really make sure you've got the butt of the spear pressed hard against the hook of the atlatl.  When you throw, make sure the hook remains in contact with the spear for a bit, even after you let go.  Remember, it's not like throwing a ball, or even a spear by hand; you have to let go just a little sooner.  Longer spears, about 5 to 6 feet, are also easier to throw than shorter spears.  And follow through!

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:18am

Greetings, Kyle, and welcome to the forum. One of the things that impressed me about slinging.org is that slingers seem to be everywhere ( although thinly spread. ) I am about 60 miles WNW of Boston and the Atlantic so you are almost ( not quite ) on the other side of the continent from here. It is a curious thing that we are using the highest possible technology to form a community around our mutual fascination with NEOLITHIC technology!                              
  If you have a digital camera, I'd love to see some pictures of your favorite slingspot. And just as with the sling, I've been interested in trying the atlatl for years but just "never got around to it." Well, I'll have to do something about this!                                              
  Again, Kyle, welcome, and I look forward to reading your posts.       
                                                                                   .......Dan      

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 7:08am

Atlatls rule - you can actually make one in a few minutes in the woods if you have a knife.  You might find that the fletching is almost unnecessary if you have the right shaft for the dart (that is to say, something quite flexible of a length between 3 and 4 times the length of the atlatl itself), but it is good to stabilise, and flights look cool.
  I think of the atlatl and sling as two kindred weapons.  Both are underestimated in terms of power and range and so forth, both of a roughly similar age, used in many of the same regions, relying on somewhat similar principles.  Anyway, hope you have a good time on the site, you're certainly welcome!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 10:01am

Atlatls are cetainly amazing, for a very fast way to get started, check this out. http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1139...

For fletching all you need is duck tape; put one layer on each side, stick them together, then cut them into a better looking shape.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 11:12am

I don't like using modern gear personally; that's who I am, and I am pedantic.  The duck tape is probably very quick though.  Feathers are free, and so is bark or nettle, and I like to spend time making things.  But if you want to just use it straightaway, I bet the duck tape is good.  Good practise.

IP Logged

Kyle
Novicius

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 1:43pm

Yes, I like feathers myself.  I've used archery fletching too, but I found the technical differences negligible. But, feathers bound to a well dried willow shaft, now that just looks cool!

There's sand quarries not too far out of the city where I live, lots of good ammo just laying around.  I got my parents to come out with me, and we all had a good time slinging stones at old plastic bottles.  This is just too much fun! Grin

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Honestly I don't currently own any duct tape fletched darts. Turkey feathers are much nicer. But they did save me once at an I.S.A.A.C. when everything started coming undone Smiley

English and Kyle, how do you fletch your darts? I don't know proper terminology, but I wind a cord around all three darts at the same time, at the same angle as the vanes. In essence, the cord spirals up the dart. I sometimes secure that with a drop of glue on the knots. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious that day, I'll glue it down the whole way also.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)