Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ultimate distance sling (Read 4512 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: Ultimate distance sling
Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 12:46pm

the problem with fishing line is that, while strong, it is generally tangle very easily... I wonder about fly-fishing line, the softer/thicker kind that floats on water.  Anyone know anything about that?

solobo88  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 12:58pm

the best lines i have seen for slinging have to be woven kevlar paraglider lines - however they are expensive
(although i have several hundred metres of this line i think i'll leave them where they belong)

sv

IP Logged

Matt Macho

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:16am

Quote:
Welcome, have fun giving slinging a shot (pun not inteded)!

I personally think that wire would be unnecesarily heavy... it is metal after all. Also, I wouldn't trust a lone wire... any metal flexible enough to be used as a sling would probably not have enough tensile strength or work resistance, or it would cost too much for most of us. Cable would be very nice (like a brake cable from a bike?), but then it's still metal and so is unnecesarily dense.

High-tech fishing lines are probably the way to go: enourmous tensile strength, excellent flexibility and resistance (in the sense that it has no resistance to) being bent and folded up, very light weight.

Also, a seperate pocket material isn't necesary, make a fishing line mesh or simply use a split-pouch.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my heavier, stiffer slings...

----------------------------

Thanks for the welcome, and again I am not even up to the standard of novice slinger (yet!) but I think the basic principle was about aerodynamics/density.  Yes, metal is heavier by volume than rope, but to really reduce drag you want to reduce volume, the increase in weight I would think would be extremely minor.  Look at it this way, would you rather get whipped with a length of wire (or cable) or an equal length of yarn? 

The flexibility issue is a good point, though I would think it really would only be an issue at the point where sling meets hand--the rest is pretty much tensile strength, where metal is tough to beat.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 1:00am

One thing i learned over the years is, when you release,the stone wants to go and it wants to go now. the lighter the release cord the better. Because the stone has to kind of push through the pouch to get out, any extra weight actually delays your stone. a millasecond in delay from the intended release,added to the speed of your swing can equal a shot off mark. From ten feet to the left to 45 degrees to your left. I never use a sling any longer than the tip of my thumb to my shoulder. usually to mid bicept. i think it is better to familiarize with a general length. Get good at adjusting your technique. Different length=different technique. With only the variance of my windup and release on average i will throw about 50 yards. i can throw a good 120yards just using more body longer step and better timing. Remember the sling doesnt throw it farther you do

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:11pm

I think the point of 'which would you rather be whipped by' is my point exactly; you want the energy to go into the projectile, not to be wasted on the cords. The extra mass of the cords may make the sling move better, but ultimately that energy isn't being transfered to the glande. I know that it's a strange concept, but the empty slings ability to move is largely irrelevant. With lighter cords, you can make the same projectile move faster, or use a heavier projectile (which thus contains more KE, although moving at the same speed). This is of course assuming that all other factors are constant.

Flexibility, actually, is hugely important. Some of us prefer stiffer and some very flexible, but for pure efficiency, the more flexible the better as this makes the glande release more easily. Again, less energy being wasted on the cord opening up to release.

I was not speaking of the traditional, transparent plastic fishing line by the way. They now make fishing line out of some fancy fibers which is braided. Over a hundred pounds of test is now as thin or thinner than the more convential twenty pound test. It's also more flexible and 'softer'.

You're right in that it is a matter of volume/surface area that the cords occupy. This line certainly occupies the same or less volume than any steel/metal cord which could be used. Fly fishing line was mentioned but I'm not sure how strong they make it, I'll have to look into that.

The things compromised by such an efficient sling would be accuracy and feel since it is so flexible and aerodynamic. Thus a stiffer metal cable may be better in real practice... then again so too would be alpaca wool, coconut fibers, etc. For this reason I'm not even going to bother making one of these slings, but rather stick to braided fibers/plastic and paracord.

Anyway, I'm sure that a metal sling could be excellent, especially if you wanted it to double as a cutting garrotte, I'm only debating on the finer points... which I would probably not be able to notice a difference in, in real practice.

Matt, you should sign up... it enables Private Messages (PM's) and will store all of your posts in one convenient place.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:40pm

i'd be afraid to use a metal sling... i'm sure i would manage to whip myself with it  Grin
i'll have to try one of those fishing line slings.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:57pm

Quote:
One thing i learned over the years is, when you release,the stone wants to go and it wants to go now.

Physically speaking (speaking in Physics), the stone would "want to go now" the entire time it is being spun in a circle. That's because of Newton's first law (Inertia) that states that (among other things) an object in motion will naturally travel in a straight line. So, when you stop applying centripetal force via the tension in the sling you allow the rock to travel in that straight line which it has always wanted to do.

Sorry I'm being so picky, I just felt like sounding smart Roll Eyes.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 2:48pm

{It's still useful information. It means in terms of slinging...}

And thus, the more flexible and aerodynamic the cord, the happier the stone. The happier the stone, the more times it will hit the target.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 4:15pm

Quote:
The happier the stone, the more times it will hit the target.

So a "happy stone" is more likely to murder someone than an "unhappy stone". Tongue

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #24 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 8:43pm

Thanks Atlay for clearing that up.   Wink I have a tendancy to ramble until I dont make sense. ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)