Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ultimate distance sling (Read 4573 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Ultimate distance sling
Apr 13th, 2006 at 12:05pm

Anyone have any ideas?  the shorter and braided slings are all well and good, but every once in a while it's nice to just wing those rocks way out into the distance... my best distance sling is made of a small braided bowstring-material, about a yard long when folded, small oval pocket... i'd heard about possibly using tennis-racket cat-gut type string for a cord with almost no wind resistance...
what are your experiences/inventions?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Ultimate distance sling
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 12:10pm

hmm that is an idea actually...lets see what i can do with clothline Cheesy

Taiki  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 1:47pm

I've made a few "extreme" slings, but it's pretty hard for me to see much advantage gained. I don't think my technique / strength lets me take advantage of anything much past about 1m long.

The gold one is my longest, thinnest, lightest, most aerodynamic sling.

Matthias

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:37pm

I think you should build a sling modled after the hammer throws in the olympics.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:43pm

My 5 foot six inches Kelvar slings go extremely far.  Light and low air resistance is the key.

Cat gut would not be good for slinging cause they'll coil up to much.

IP Logged

invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:44pm

Matthias, I am so jealous of your braiding/netting/ability-to-do-anything-with-string abilities (as I am of Willeke's and others' braiding abilities). I just had to say those netted slings of yours are awesome!
Back on topic, I think i remember someone saying that they found the optimal length for distance and power to be approximately from the tip of the right fingers to the heart. I braided a sling of this length (now lost, sadly) and, while it was significantly longer than what I'm used to, it got me quite a bit more distance! I rigged together a hasty, longer sling and didn't get as much power, but that may have been because of the poorer quality. In any case, the longer of the two just didn't feel right. If I had a little more time, I would try to experiment some more with this. Hopefully, I'll get to later.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:58am

4-5 Foot staff sling
Waiting for this weekend to actuallysee what kind of open field distance it will do. but it should outdistance any hand sling out there. Of course a lot is dependant on the skill level of the user.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas?  the shorter and braided slings are all well and good, but every once in a while it's nice to just wing those rocks way out into the distance... my best distance sling is made of a small braided bowstring-material, about a yard long when folded, small oval pocket... i'd heard about possibly using tennis-racket cat-gut type string for a cord with almost no wind resistance...
what are your experiences/inventions?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 3:01am

Ultimate sling? Here's a picture of one:  Grin

Just look at the muscle behind that sling...

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:19am

The ultimate distance sling length would be the length you can handle best. The longer the better, but stop before you get troubles with using it. Doesn't help to have a sling which is 1,5 meter, when you have problems with using it.

It would have to be very aerodynamic, but when you make it thinner, it also gets more unstable.

Small pouch, where the stone have no problem getting out. No friction.

If the stone go into the release cord under the release, it'll make the stone go slower. The release cord will also have to be light and not stiff at all.

Gard

P.S: This is my post number 300!  Roll Eyes

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:24am

I beleve that there is an area on the slinging.org site that talks about the world record for sistance with a sling. 1450 feet, if memory serves me right. That's the person to talk to.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:33am

So, what's the best material for making the best sling? ??? I want a good sling(although I do not sling much) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:56am

The sling I wove out of artificial sinew was really lightweight. Good for long distance. Almost scare the pants off of me the first time I tried.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 10:38am

artificial sinew... where would you get that?  and matthias, what did you make your beauties out of?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Matt Macho

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 8:37pm

If density/low wind resistance is key I would think the ideal sling would be made of wire or extremely thin cable.  The grip and release would need to be thicker to keep from cutting into the hand but theose parts are less relevant to the aerodynamics.  Ideal pouch maybe wire mesh?

Not tried slinging yet, was directed here from a thread on Sword Forum Int'l--love the site, am intrigued and plan to try it.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 8:45pm

Welcome, have fun giving slinging a shot (pun not inteded)!

I personally think that wire would be unnecesarily heavy... it is metal after all. Also, I wouldn't trust a lone wire... any metal flexible enough to be used as a sling would probably not have enough tensile strength or work resistance, or it would cost too much for most of us. Cable would be very nice (like a brake cable from a bike?), but then it's still metal and so is unnecesarily dense.

High-tech fishing lines are probably the way to go: enourmous tensile strength, excellent flexibility and resistance (in the sense that it has no resistance to) being bent and folded up, very light weight.

Also, a seperate pocket material isn't necesary, make a fishing line mesh or simply use a split-pouch.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my heavier, stiffer slings...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)