Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hints to Increase Accuracy (Read 4333 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Hints to Increase Accuracy
Reply #30 - May 14th, 2006 at 9:38pm

Rebel, ...welcome to the forum.   Re the glandes, ...there's a ton of info here covering molding these.  'Jurek' is probably the expert.  Re your technique, it sounds like the 'Greek' technique & there are a couple slingsters here who use it a lot.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #31 - May 14th, 2006 at 10:40pm

In the 18th century there use to be shot towers in various locations. As their name suggests, these were places where shot was made. The way it was made,was that hot lead was poured from the top of the tower. As it fell is took on a natural spherical shape.According to the amount of lead poured one could vary the size of the shot needed.......say one ounce of lead for a .75 cal musket ball etc,etc. Anyone want to try pouring hot lead off some tall structure? Roll Eyes                  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #32 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:43am

The size of the orifice through which the lead was poured determined the size of the ball formed.  Also, I suppose the temperature of the lead being poured insofar as this would affect viscosity of the liquid.

After cooling and forming during it's drop through the air, the lead balls hit water for final cooling and cushioning of the fall to prevent dents, etc.

Manipulating viscosity & orifice size is the exact technique still used today to set the size of tiny superglue drops used in the assembly of electronic and similar equipment.  Also, to set the particle size for powdered milk and similar materials.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #33 - May 15th, 2006 at 3:02pm

wow mgreenfield
You are a font of information. Do have any links or sorces where I could find more information on this.
I use to make attempts at this as a boy with aproane torch and a small cast iron skilet as a boy from the top of our wind mill. I had limited succsess

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #34 - May 29th, 2006 at 3:52pm

More hint to increase accuracy, having to do with design of the sling itself:

* The sling cords have to be large enough diameter and stiff enough so that they won't momentarily tangle on the ammo as it leaves the sling.

* The joint between the sling pocket and the release cord has to be absolutely smooth, so the ammo can slide out of the pocket with no hesitation.

* The preferred grip is close, ....Apache or similar.  A wide grip lets the ammo "rattle around" in the pocket, and requires use of a larger pocket.

* The pocket should be absolutely as small and flat as possible, and still retain the ammo.  Again, no pocket suitable for a wide grip is small enough.

Conclusion, ...all my slings with pockets made of crossed straps, joined to the cords with fat loops, have to go into the trashcan.   Thanks to nwmanitou for letting me try one of his fine slings.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #35 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 1:29am

Hey, TheRedneck33,                                                            
         By posting on this thread, I will put it up on the first page near the top. I hope this discussion will be of use to you. Also, we've had several other newcomers join the forum so this might be of use to all of you. Be sure to go to the home page and then to the guides and articles section for more information on technique ( and other good slinging stuff, too! )                                                  .......Dan

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #36 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 11:24am

I dont like a long release cord myself. a short length between thumb and forefinger is enough for me.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)