Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hints to Increase Accuracy (Read 4337 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Hints to Increase Accuracy
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 12:23pm

i carry two slings( well actauly three or four, but the others are backup etc) Shockedne very short that i whipped up a few days ago that has cords twice as thick as my other sling.  it is apache style, except for the pouch is narrower.  from mid pouch to release node is 18 1/2 inches(47 cm), but is only 14 1/2 inches(37 cm) from mid pouch to the end of the finger loop.   the difference is so that i can grip the release cord across my whole palm, which increases accuracy from what i read.  also, the cords are 1/2 inches(13 mm) wide and 1/4 inches(6 mm)  thick.  the pouch is nylon netting cut form an old backpack.  the pouch is relatively narrow, but holds stones well.  i find that i am noticebly more accurate with this sling than with my others, which i think may be due to the fact that the shorter the sling, the closer i come to thrownig directly out of my hand, which i am more accurate with than with my slings.   

my other sling is apache style.  it is 25 1/2 inches(65 cm) from mid pouch to the end of the finger loop, which i wear on my middle finger. it is 25 1/2 inches(65 cm) to the release node, which is gripped between my thumb and forefinger.  i use a leather pouch on this sling.  i am less accurate, but more powerful with this sling.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:19pm

Slinger_man_Dan,
I had a look at the gallery.  I agree with you about the Danish slinger: that is the Apache style, or something very similar.  The German slinger looks like he's using the same style.

On the other hand, two rows down from the Dane, is a painting of David taken from a monastery wall.  The slinger is partway through a figure-8 windup, methinks.

Thanks for drawing my attention to these!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 11:20am

Did somebody mention consistant practace i try get in fifty throws every day I beleave I adapted this number from you mgreenfield ty

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 4:31pm

the greek style Really works too Shocked its wonderfull i can actually hit stuff the size off a notice board at 10 orso meters Shocked while today is the first time i used that style its incredeble Shocked

Edit: i misread the article title i was under the impression i was trying apache while it was greek overhand all along Roll Eyes but still it was pretty impressive how accurate it is Shocked
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2006 at 11:42pm by Taiki »  
Taiki  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 3:33am

Slingers,                                                                                     
     In another thread, Kristal, a guest was looking for information so I directed her to this thread. Then it occurred to me to add a few more comments which I hope will be of use.                                          
     Consider these concepts:                                                             

BIOMECHANICS is the study of biological systems as if they were machines, which of course, in a manner of speaking, they are. In particular, when slinging, I am acutely aware of my arms and muscles acting as levers and the forces at play during the throw.                  

PROPRIOCEPTION is the reception of stimuli generated within the organism itself. Thus you do not have to stop and look to know where your left index finger or your right knee is at this moment. You know because you can "feel" it. Athletes such as gymnasts have a well developed sense of proprioception. We as slingers must work to develop this especially as slings can't be fitted with sights. Much of slinging is done by "feel."                                                             

I find that when I sling, there is an intense VISUAL concentration on the target and the angle of my body toward the target, but my actual stance ( whether I lean forward or back, how I distribute my weight on my feet, etc. ) and especially the throw itself ( how my arm moves through the arc and the feel of the forces being released ) is done entirely by FEEL. ( Curiously, I really enjoy the tension on the sling. If the cords are taut and I can feel the pull of the stone then I know that I HAVE THE POWER! ) Proprioception.                           

As my arm goes through the arc ( I usually use the "Apache" technique) I try to keep my arm almost as far to the left as it will go. Since I am right handed, this means that my arm is actually vertical
through part of its arc and is almost brushing past my right ear. Since my arm cannot go any farther to the left this gives me a very positive index for the arc. If I concentrate, I have now gotten to the point where I can hit a tree trunk about 70% of the time. If I lose concentration and "loosen up" my arm will not go vertical and I find that I will generally miss the tree trunk to the RIGHT. Biomechanics.

Although this is a very analytical approach to the problem, I believe that as I gain experience I will get to the point where I no longer have to think about any of this. It will all become automatic.
Conversely, If I am slinging and start to miss a lot, I will stop and analyze what I am doing wrong and try to correct my form.            
                                                                                  .......Dan

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 6:52pm

Yeah, slinging is almost all form, ...like golf, bowling, archery, only even more so it seems.

I recently added this mental trick that seems to much increase power, accuracy and consistency.   FYI I use nwmanitou overhand and an underhand with total 1-3/4 turns.  I think there's film on the site showing this form.

The trick is this; I think of the wind up as a motion separate from the snap.  Mentally, I dont even try to make it all one motion.  Now, to force this perception, I look at the target before I start, look away during the wind up, then look back at the target right before the snap.  Seems to be a big help.

Let me know if it works for you.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 8:44pm

that make a lot of sense!  I'll have to try that.

Thanks Greenie!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:37pm

Mgreenfield
I use the same trick. Only I add the old karate kid trick and visulize my gland going though the target not just hitting it Grin
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006 at 10:56am by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #23 - May 10th, 2006 at 9:02am

A few things worked for me when building up accuracy:

1) Consistency. If your mucking around with different throwing styles, sling types, ammunition shapes/weights, target distances etc then it will take a very long time to get accurate. Try and keep every variable above the same each time you practice. I use the same sling, same throwing style, same ammunition (tennis balls) etc.

2) Easy goals. When I first started I picked a 50cm square target at a 12 metre distance. Initially you want a large target and a short distance to help provide positive feedback in the learning system. Shooting 100 rocks at a coke can from 50 metres is fun, but you get no information on why your hits are missing, or why they are getting close.

3) Practice Lots. Lots. More lots. This and consistency are the most important. The very first time I went out to practice with my setup above I did 360 throws. My accuracy was 25%. 20 practice sessions later with an average of 220 throws per session (4800 throws in total over the two month period) and my accuracy was now up to 75%. At this point I felt comfortable experimenting with target size reduction and distance increase.

4) Low power. I use about 40% power when Im practicing.  Like many other similiar skills the goal is to train your muscle memory and brain to perform the action. You cant do that if your trying to go for full power everytime. Your technique will suffer, thus you will be teaching yourself the wrong things. Also its a tiring process. I can do 300 throws in a session (takes me about an hour) and my arm feels a little tired towards the end. If I was going at full power I wouldnt last half that long so my practice sessions wouldnt be nearly as benificial.

I still do some power training, usually when Im finished for the session I'll throw 20 or so shots at higher power levels but its not something Ive been concentrating on at the moment, plus high power throws with tennis balls against a concrete back wall tends to destroy my ammo Wink

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #24 - May 10th, 2006 at 1:11pm

...wise words, Brother Wrenn, wise words.

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #25 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:56am

[quote author=pancaker link=board=1;num=1144936450;start=0#8 date=04/14/06 at 14:58:06]Apache Accuracy

Most of my accuracy experience is with Apache throws.
Slinging varied stone sizes, I have found a great accuracy gain from "feeling" the weight of the throw in my shoulder.

I am not sure if I can explain this, or if it might be applicable to other throw styles, but here's a try:

Sorry this is going back a ways on the post but i have to agree with Pancaker that I find the most accuracy with the apache style throw and I prefer to use larger stones so that I can feel the weight as it flies over...
I have tried many different styles for the apache throw and i always get frustrated when it feel like a good throw but it goes the wrong way...hmmmm...then I start to throw even harder and get even worse so I agree with you on all you said Pancaker!!! Wink
-Hound-

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #26 - May 11th, 2006 at 3:03pm

Ok, I started to day hitting a near tree of about 10 paces or 6-7 meters away using Apache style. After maybe 20 marbles I got a hit! With the marble thereafter I started to count for my hit ratio: of 18 marbles I had 3 hits (17%). Not much, but it really is a start and I had at least 4 or 5 near hits.

What I probably will not so soon reach is slinging a large quantity of stones. I have no place where balls are not easily lost but easily retrieved. So I buy and sling pebbles. 4800 pebbles would be about 200 kg. I really do not want to distribute 200 kg pebbles here on the fields. (At least in a short time.)

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #27 - May 14th, 2006 at 2:42am

Freebooter, by posting on this thread I have pulled it up to the top of the page. I'm sure you will find information of use to you here. Give that sling a good workout!                                                               

Zwiebelteute, just a thought: maybe you could spray paint some of those pebbles orange or red to make them easier to find?                

.......Dan

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #28 - May 14th, 2006 at 11:45am

i suggest not using red, but flourescent orange, because when i go looking for red things that i have dropped/thrown out in nature, i find that red blends in far better than one would think.  flourescent orange is not so able to blend with nature.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #29 - May 14th, 2006 at 3:26pm

Hello slingers.
Up until now I have mostly used stones of diferent sizes,
but I have some lead and I am thinking of melting it into glans (spelling?).
The easy way to do this (I think) is just to pour (put) the melted lead into a spoon and let it harden. I have not tryed this metod yet, but I hope it wil work Smiley.
Have any of you tryed this, or similar ways of making glans?
As for my throwing I have started using helicopter style, but with only using 3/4 turn. I start the throw holding the rock in front of me and over my head, and then swing (throw) it to my left. I release when the stone has gone about 3/4 of a turn. I have thrown about 200 stones using this metod of throwing and I am geting better with every throw Cheesy. For targets over 50 meters I use the underhand throw and normaly 2 windups.

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)