Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hints to Increase Accuracy (Read 4336 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Hints to Increase Accuracy
Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:54am

I'm satisfied with my range as an old guy, ...reliably 100+yds.   I'm now working on accuracy, using tennis balls as ammo.  They're the "Whiffle Balls" of slinging.   Here are a few hints that I think add to accuracy.  Any additions are appreciated.

1/ Use a vertical or near-vertical "wind up", whether overhand or underhand.  This for safety and to get (nearly) every throw at least going in the right general direction.

2/ Dont rush the throw.

3/ Dont "over power" the throw.   You can even reduce your range by throwing harder.  Accuracy is always messed up.   Technique.  Technique.  Technique.

4/ "Reach" directly for the target as you release.  This is a huge help!

5/ Reduce the number of "wind up" turns.   None would probably be best.

6/ Grip the release cord with your whole fist.  Finger knots and tabs just dont seem to work as well for accuracy.  Use a release cord fat enough to be gripped this way.

7/ Use "fat" fairly stuff sling cords.  These seem to make the sling "more stable".

8/ Use as "shallow" a pocket as you can, and still contain the ammo securely.   Be sure there are no knots, etc to "catch" the ammo on the way out of the pocket.

9/ What else??

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: Hints to Increase Accuracy
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:53am

mgreenfield,                                                                               
   This is an interesting topic, as the sling is a fascinating instrument but a difficult one. I will admit that my experience is very limited, but over the past several months I have come to some conclusions, which while not definitive, at least give me a general direction:                  

I use the "Apache" technique, as I have had little luck with other more complex techniques. Obviously, much more experienced slingers like the Bealearic islanders can do amazing things, but for a beginner SIMPLE is probably better.                                                               
    Don't worry about extreme accuracy at first, go for form. It took me about 200 throws to get a good feel for the technique and to consistently get a good trajectory.                                                
    Don't get discouraged: EXPECT a long learning curve. Give yourself the time. I find that I can really concentrate for only about the first 20 throws ( although I've done up to forty in one session.) Great fun though slinging is, if you do too much in one session your accuracy will suffer because you cannot maintain your concentration.      
    I am now at the point where I am trying for an overhead arc that is consistent from shot to shot. This has improved my accuracy in windage (side to side) and I can now hit a tree trunk about 60% of the time from about 20 yards. (Tree trunks are good for practice because they are tall, narrow targets.) This is after about 300 to 350 throws. Pay particular attention to the angle of your body to the tree trunk. Try to repeat this angle cosistently.                                                                                          
    As you throw, try to analyze your form. Especially important, are you consistent from shot to shot?                                                   
    I suspect that accuracy in elevation will be the hardest to acheive as this will depend on millisecond timing of the release.                  

So far so good, but still a ways to go. This is one of those situations where the journey itself is half the fun.                        .......Dan

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 7:48am

good points - i agree particularly with point 6 mgreefield. my accuracy increased noticeably when i put the retention loop on the little finger instead of the forefinger, and gripped the release cord across the palm instead of between the thumb and forefinger.
i would add that a short sling (a few inches less than fingertip to fingertip with arms outstretched) and a loop bowline split pouch rather than leather etc also seemed  to help me.
also i found that there was no point in trying to persevere with a technique that you don't find natural - for me, fig 8 hurts the rotor cuff after a while.  i found that when i instinctively slang quickly at something it was with a single  underhand wind-up and sidearm release. so i use this as my method.   
the other thing is to practise little and often, and don't  overdo the muscular effort. after a year i can hit a treetrunk more often than miss - THUNK!!!  lumps of bark or a little cloud of resin fly off, (depending on tree type) with no apparent effort.

sv

sv

IP Logged

alander
Novicius

Sweden
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:32pm

I totally agree with you guys.
when im slinging i often sling for accurasy and power, the funny thing is that these two things dont mix easly, my hint is throw hard and try to hit target  because soner or later you will manage to hit the target.
as they say "practise makes perfect".
as Slinger_Man_Dan says you have to expect a long learning curve....

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:43pm

9/ Use a big target, and stay close to it! Even though it might be a little too easy to hit: it's better to hit 80 out of 100 with a too easy target, than 5 out of 100 with a small target.

You won't get better by using too small target and stay too far away, it'll only make it easier to quit slinging!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:00pm

right then i'll go back to try hitting windows then Wink i seem to have a natural talent in that Cheesy

Taiki  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:22pm

Yeah, good to have something fun to throw at, not just boring trees and targets made especially for slinging! Windows (the bigger, the better) will make practicing much more fun! Grin

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:56pm

Mgreenfield,
You are right on!  One at a time, I have discovered the same things.

When I started slinging, I had already been reading this forum, and so I knew there would be a long period of learning, and I would need things to keep my interest going.  So I switch among several different styles, and I vary my targets and distance.  I find it much more satisfying to walk around, slinging at stumps and trees and bushes, than to stand and sling at a single target.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:58pm

Apache Accuracy

Most of my accuracy experience is with Apache throws.
Slinging varied stone sizes, I have found a great accuracy gain from "feeling" the weight of the throw in my shoulder.

I am not sure if I can explain this, or if it might be applicable to other throw styles, but here's a try:

Instead of using deltoid, pectoral, and bicep muscles to throw, turn and move your body so that your shoulder moves in a straight line towards the target.

Do not twist in one rapid, jerky movement: that will give you no feedback on where the stone is and what it's doing.

Instead, start slow and then accelerate your shoulder towards the target. You will be able to feel the forces in your shoulder. If you do this right, your outstretched arm will accelerate at the same rate as the sling, and your arm and sling will always form one continuous line.

Your body has a great sense of where your limbs are at any given time, and you can train yourself (subconsciously) to release when your arm is at angle "x". If you do this right, then the sling will also be at angle "x" when you release. In theory, this should improve accuracy.

The slow start and progressive acceleration do not mean your throws will remain slow or weak. With practice, you can increase the acceleration in your arm and sling equally. The idea is to avoid using your arm as a staff sling or trebuchet, rather to make your arm be part of the sling.

Personally, I find this to be the most natural and intuitive way to sling accurately. While I get better power out of figure-8 and related side releases, I have a harder time judging release timing from the angles of both shoulder and elbow joints. With those throws, I also do not get a good feel of how fast the sling is moving, and so I cannot rely on my muscle memory to judge how heavy the stone is - leading to a more involved subconscious calculation involving my memory of how heavy the stone was when I picked it up.

I am sure that those throws can be just as accurate, but they may require extra practice and may gather greater benefit from uniform ammo.

Perhaps slingers with lots of practice with baseball, tennis, and similar throws already have the elbow & shoulder muscle memory learned, in which case it may be more natural using a figure-8 throw. Unfortunately, I used to play basketball Grin

-pancaker

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 3:18am

I'm trying to figure out how the Apache method starts. Do you start with your arm by your side? If so, is the longest possible sling for this method the distance from your arm (at your side) to the ground? That's only about 1/2 - 1/3 as long as I've been using with tennis/figure-8...

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:58am

the apache method is sort of like throwing the javelin except without the run-up. you start with the arm behind you. 

sv

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 10:36am

Altay,
The Apache style starts with you facing at an angle to your target.  If you looked the direction you are facing, you would be looking about 45 degrees away from your target.  Hope that makes sense.  You start with your arm hanging at your side and a little behind you, so that if the target was looking at you, it would not see the sling or your arm.

Forsyth suggested keeping your other arm tucked across your body, so it is not obviously an arm.  Animals know what people look like, but the apparent lack of arms confuses them, and they don't realize they are about to become dinner.  That's the hope, anyway.

The longest sling you should use with the Apache style will not quite reach the ground.  You do not want the sling to brush the ground and empty itself; swinging an empty sling at a rabbit does not get you fed.

Of course, all I am doing is repeating what Forsyth wrote in his
article
.  His description is what I learned the Apache style from.

LATER: Sv's remark about throwing the javelin, in the post previous to this one, is also very good.  I've gone through the motions, and there are distinct similarities.  I have seen a picture of someone slinging where he started with his arm raised not quite to shoulder height, other arm raised in front of him; put a javelin in his hand instead of a sling and he would be doing it exactly right.  My version of the Apache style (which is as close as I know how, to Forsyth's method) starts with my arm hanging at my side.  Once I've raised my arm, I'm doing just what the guy with the javelin swing was doing.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2006 at 6:24pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 1:26am

I went out to try the Apache method this morning (well, I woke up at 5:38 PM, so evening really) and I shortened my sling down to as short as it would go (about 2-3 feet). I figured out 3 things I was doing wrong. I was trying to use a sling that was too long, so I was having trouble with it. I was trying to sling too quickly using my whole arm, so I couldn't really do anything. And finally, I wasn't aiming at anything in particular. It still seems like a rather uncomfertable method, and it doesn't fire very far (not compared with underhand and figure-8, at least), but it is extremely accurate. Not only did it go forward, but it hit various targets I aimed at. A knocked a few dead branches off of a tree. Anyway, I think I finally got it. I just thought that it was more complecated than it really was. Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:00am

Altay,                                                                                             

Although both paintings and sculpture are by their very nature static, it may be possible to infer something from the "body language" of the slingers depicted in the artwork. If you go to the historical gallery, look closely at the images with the captions: "Danish soldier with sling and pouch, circa 885 A.D." and "German slinger opposing the column of Aurelius Antonina, bas relief, circa 4th century." and the close up for the latter picture.                                                
     There is, of course, no way to be sure, but the posture of  the individuals depicted suggest the use of a simple technique like the "Apache" technique. Especially in battle, standing shoulder to shoulder with perhaps hundreds of other slingers, whirling the sling horizontally over your head ( "helicopter" ) could be just as dangerous to your comrades as to the enemy!                                                            
    The sling I'm using now is rather short, only about 14 inches from finger loop to pouch, so dragging on the ground is not a problem. Also, I had gotten the impression from my reading here on slinging.org that there is a feeling that although a short sling develops less power, it is easier to get good accuracy from a short sling.                                    
     Hope this helps.                                               .......Dan      

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:09am

The reason I don't like short slings is for the obvious fact that the longer your arm is extended, the more power you'll get (assuming you maintain control). Therefore, if you get used to the longest possible sling you can use for each method, you'll develop accuracy, and the maximum power will come naturally. It's not much good to carry around a sling that only increases your range by a small amount, so the longest sling would be preffered. That's my philosophy. Therefore I disliked the Apache method because it forced me to use such short slings (in comparison with other methods).

&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)