Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I wonder (Read 1717 times)
ibez
Novicius

Primitive Enthusiast

I wonder
Apr 12th, 2006 at 5:58pm

Did they ever use Big slings? like maybe longer, 2 handed ones that launched 10 lb rocks or something. it would be feasible if you got a spinning start.

You know, kinda like what the balista is to crossbows

Enter my mind, Let reality fade.&&Flee from the sun, fall into the shade.&&A childs eyes are all you need, &&Maturity hangs on the forbidden tree. &&Perception is found upon the chair,&&Deception's creeping through the air,&&Temptation's yearning, too much to resist,&&Leave my mind.. You won't be missed.
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: I wonder
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:08pm

check out this link

http://www.slinging.org/2.html

Its in the article section.. Quite fascinating

IP Logged

ibez
Novicius

Primitive Enthusiast

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:12pm

oh, cool. Although in the end it says golf ball, did he maybe mean baseball? since golf ball sized, 500 feet can be done with a normal one heh

Also, i was thinking they couldve even made sling-like siege weapons using large machinery, but a guess theres no point when youve got trebuchets heh.

Enter my mind, Let reality fade.&&Flee from the sun, fall into the shade.&&A childs eyes are all you need, &&Maturity hangs on the forbidden tree. &&Perception is found upon the chair,&&Deception's creeping through the air,&&Temptation's yearning, too much to resist,&&Leave my mind.. You won't be missed.
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:14pm

yea i would imagine that a seige weapon designed like a sling which involves more than one short (even 1/2 rotation) wouldn't work very well...

A trebucet(sp?) is basically a huge staff sling. So in a way I guess seige weapons were built off the sling in certain ways.

IP Logged

ibez
Novicius

Primitive Enthusiast

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:19pm

Yea. it does have a throwing arm to it, i guess the only difference is the momentum is attained in a different way.

Id like to try and build a big sling like that, but maybe even longer since that's already been tried. Only thing is if i wanted to test it I probly couldnt, in my town projectiles on any district owned property is illegal. While the law doesnt mention slings, a large rock in a 15 foot or so sling would probly count. heh

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 3:22am

A trebuchet is a seige sling. There really is no other way to make a machine that uses a sling. Perhaps there is some way, but it wouldn't work well. Anyway, it just uses the force of gravity to throw, a wooden (or possibly aluminum) beam for an arm, a pin for a thumb, and a giant sling. It uses the Apache method. Can't get much simpler or accurate than that on the large scale.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 12:09pm

I've used 2 meter slings, but they are hard to use. The cords twists easily, and you need many rotations, and they can't be trusted about the direction the stone goes neither. It would be better with thick cords, then it won't twist as easily, and having a place where it's no chance of destroying anything is needed.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 9:40am

I had a long 12 foot sling once. I shot bricks out of it. I could only throw the brick as far as a normal sling could throw a rock but the brick hits harder Grin

I spin my whole body around twice to use the bigger slings, i also like stiffer thicker cord.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 10:03am

whoa... considering that a normal sling can throw a rock a couple hundred yards, that must have been one dangerous brick...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 8:37am

and one dizy douglas 8)

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)