Send Topic Print
self defence? (Read 3300 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: self defence?
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:13am

so, yesterday i made a short, thick sling, as part of an experiment to see if the theories about short, thick corded slings are true, and decided to try to make it into a combat weapon.  i used a lightweight synythetic mesh in place of a leather pouch(it is a split pouch braided sling, made from nylon kite cord)so that i would be able to use the sling as a single peice of rope without the pouch being in the way.  also, the mesh folds up easily when one pulls on both the release and retention cord, making it seem almost as if it were not there.  i then wrapped the sling around my hand starting with the release knot, and wrapped to a little past the pouch.  i clipped a heavy carabiner clip through the finger loop and attacked a young tree(one inch in diameter) with it as though i were holding a heavy ended whip or flail. 

conclusion:
against the tree, it was pretty innefective, because it kept bouncing back at me.  against a person, it would hurt alot.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:02am

Quote:
if you get them in the head that will stop Anyone i'm sure (unless ther fueled with some kind of painkiller or performance enhancing drug) but hit them anywhere else and it will mostlikely just really hurt for a while if the bone isn't broken...after that the atacker can just pick up where he left off

If you're being attacked by a man, you could start twirling it underhand rather than overhand (with a rock in the pouch) and aim between his legs. That ought to slow him down for good unless you miss. Ouch! Shocked

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 6:25am

slings used that way are just too easy to parry, they don't have the momentum of a real flail, so i think it would be the best if you could wrap short, thick braided sling around your wrist, to protect your bones a bit, tighten the punch, and give a free peeling treatment to your opponent.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 4:27pm

it's painfull altay believe me its Really painfull  Cry still i'm sure that using your sling as strangle or grasp weapon would be the better idea (if you use a carabiner in the fingerloop try using it to swing across your target instead of hitting it Grin )

Taiki  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 10:43am

well you know the best self defence is run away.
with the sling i would sugest if one had too. Use it a t a distance run away gain more distance. then run away again. sooner or later or attackers may get tired of being pelted with stone at over 100 yds. but as always never engage unless you have to engage

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 1:36am

I think the applications for self-defense would be fairly limited. Usually somebody will lure you away from a crowd to get at you, and then assault you at close range. If I were a nefarious character, my last choice would be to scream "Hey, you! I'm gonna rob ya!" at about 100 yards.

If you were going to hurt someone unprovoked from a ways away, then the sling would be a great weapon for it, but not much better than a gun.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 1:46am

The problem with using a sling as a "self defense" weapon is that it is a ranged weapon. The idea behind ranged weapons is that you can attack without risk of being attacked. This in nature is aggressive. If you are the only one attacking, you can hardly be defending yourself. Unless of course your attacker also had a ranged weapon. However, being the attacker, he'd get the first shot (unless you were expecting to be attacked). After all, if you fired the first shot, that'd make you the attacker Roll Eyes. Anyway, the only real way you could defend yourself with a ranged weapon is if you were attacked, but the attacker missed. Then you whipped out your sling and grabbed a nearby rock. This scenario, however, is highly unlikely. By the time you got out your sling, loaded it, and slung the rock your attacker would have gotten 2-3 shots at you regardless of his ranged weapon. And if we assume your attacker had a melee weapon, well, what good would a sling be in hand-to-hand combat?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:42pm

Hmmm I imagine a different scene. first I seem to have a rock in my pocket with the sling. earlier a pick up the " perfect stone" this is like 75% of the time. lol Grin
second the "attack" start with jeering and insults.
This is the point I sugest run 100 yds stop and load up
if the would be assailent dint go coward and wander off.
but instead began presuit. this is where we launch all avaible projectiles up to three. then you guessed it we run away again. Not a eleguent method but could prove effective.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:58pm

a person could also have sling designed with a pouch that clipps together with a stone inside. Always loaded. Perhaps sewing a button on the inside of one of cords just above the pouch, and slot for the button braided in the other cord. One could button the pouch shut tight around the perfect stone or golf ball. Thus creating a weapon to beat your attcker with. And with just the unfastening of a simple button your hand combat weapon becomes one with long range. Quickly you stand your ground and fire at any other would be attacker coming to aid his fellow thug. Hey, Hollywood could make it happen. Only problem this could qualify as a concealed weapon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)