Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
self defence? (Read 3302 times)
person3

maryland
self defence?
Apr 12th, 2006 at 5:41pm

I was wondering how to use a sling for self defence. An idea i posted on the "April fools" topic was to sling eggs at tresspasers and vandals, but it would be just plain hipocritical Angry to post more stuff like that on a topic on pranks Grin

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: self defence?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 5:50pm

ummm...sling some stones at the other guy?

but seriously; one might use a short sling as a whip, or use a longer one to do some jackie chan style tying of the hands, or use a metal spike or something attached to the finger loop somehow to use like a really short dart whip or something. 

other than that, i don't have any ideas.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:01pm

well actually there isn't a single way to use a sling for self defense when you try throwing with it..But a strangle cord jumps to mind for grabbing and snagging of limbs

Taiki  
IP Logged

ibez
Novicius

Primitive Enthusiast

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:05pm

well if someones running at you dont try and fire at them, put a rock in it, get it swinging and hit them with it. that would hurt worse than getting hit from a distance anyway id think.

Enter my mind, Let reality fade.&&Flee from the sun, fall into the shade.&&A childs eyes are all you need, &&Maturity hangs on the forbidden tree. &&Perception is found upon the chair,&&Deception's creeping through the air,&&Temptation's yearning, too much to resist,&&Leave my mind.. You won't be missed.
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:13pm

but then your rock falls out  Undecided effectivly disarming yourself Undecided so i think using it in the manner of strangle cord would be most effective if indeed there isn't any weight in there to use to bludgeon your atacker...

Taiki  
IP Logged

ibez
Novicius

Primitive Enthusiast

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:15pm

Well, i just mean it seems like if you  did that it would be somewhat like a hit with a bat, It would hurt so bad they couldn't just ignore it and keep coming at you. i mean i dont know how fast it gets going when you twirl a sling but say its going maybe 150 mph, well imagine getting hit on the head with a rock going 150 mph.

Lips Sealed

Enter my mind, Let reality fade.&&Flee from the sun, fall into the shade.&&A childs eyes are all you need, &&Maturity hangs on the forbidden tree. &&Perception is found upon the chair,&&Deception's creeping through the air,&&Temptation's yearning, too much to resist,&&Leave my mind.. You won't be missed.
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 6:20pm

if you get them in the head that will stop Anyone i'm sure (unless ther fueled with some kind of painkiller or performance enhancing drug) but hit them anywhere else and it will mostlikely just really hurt for a while if the bone isn't broken...after that the atacker can just pick up where he left off

Taiki  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 4:59am

Maybe you could try tying some sort of meatal beads to the realease knot and use the sling as a flail?

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 5:54am

arkanii; that is pretty much what i was thinking, but i would attach something metal and heavy, maybe spikey, to a mini carabiner, like for keychains, and clip that to the finger loop on my sling, and wrap the whole thing around my hand starting at the pouch and wrapping the release cord around my hand, holding it in my hand along with the base of the down cord.  this would create a pretty effective flail.  i think i will try to build one of these devices.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:12am

if you put metal beads on the release end make sure you can take them off fast and put them on faster otherwise it won't be a lot of use in a self defense situation Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:10am

A problem i though about is when I use the underhand style throw some times the realease knot hits me on the head.  While it doesn't hurt much with nylon but with a meatal bead it could hurt really badly  Cry  Tongue

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:36am

about as badly as i would be hit on the head of an atacker Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 7:52pm

May I suggest no spikes on weights. they might look scary, but you'll probably end up doing more damage to yourself than the attacker (Studs are a different story though Smiley)

Check out the 'close quarters combat' page in the primitive weapons section. In it, there's a link to a website about flexible weapons (a rope, a coat, tie, belt, or a Sling). It may be a couple pages back, but i think i remember seeing the thread fairly recently. check it out.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:06am

I would not suggest metal beads on the release cords. I tried it once thinking it would with rappid fire, it really slows down the release. However this topic crossed my mind before and i secured some washers to the underside of the pouch. This would make for perment weights on the pouch. It seemed to release better,and also help with evening the wieght between heavy rocks and light ones. Even when the pouch is empty you can get it swinging like its not . Conclusion load the stone and fire if you miss you could still beat him th an empty sling and never miss a step. Various metal beads or nuts maybe keys could also help give it some style.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 9:02am

there is a martial art system that uses ropes or scarfs - this would be more practical than slinging a missile if attacked
failing that,  a severe boot to an opponent's cluster has been known to buy time to escape.

http://www.hapki.co.uk/articles/rope_techniques.html

sv 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)