Send Topic Print
strip sling (Read 20133 times)
Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: strip sling
Reply #45 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 6:49pm

When whirling around the sling a lot of air is moved and I need more force than with my other slings.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:34am

I practiced recently with the Etruscan sling and I think it is really nice. I bought cat toys in the form of small American footballs made from foam for demonstration. They can be slinged very well with that sling.

Btw. I want to show also underarm style because it is historically somehow documented and fits best to people with armour. Is there a good documentation availble which dosn't say "like softball"? I found a MikeG1 movie which is rather good, but more would certainly be better.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #47 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:49am

Zwiebeltuete,

I have actually modified that area of the casting styles after you put your request on the discussion page.

Have a read of the new version if you still don't understand I I have Siguy working on my next project which is video's and movement pictures for each of the casting styles. (I am still looking for an artist by the way.)

If the new version isn't good enough please let me know.

nightweave.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #48 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:53am

The description is rather short, so it is in my opinion good enough for knowing an underarm style when you see one, i.e. it is a good definition of this style. But it is not good as a guide to do this style because it has little detail. I am thinking about if it would be a good idea to have first a definition and then a guidance. Underarm like many other throws is in principle a whole group of techniques. Some make it so, some so. In the guidance there could be a specific, prooven underarm technique. After my bad Apache style movie I got so many additional information to the already much Apache style information on the guidance page. All that helped me very much. So even for this most simple style there is so much to tell about. So an underarm guidance should really be written by a person (or maybe even two) who is very experianced and good in this style.

Btw. who did the drawings for the figure-8? This a very good! Just the clothes are rather big and do therefore a bit conceal the main body movement.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #49 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 10:35am

Z-- Is it possible that you can weave in some slits where the projectile rests?? This will probably cut down on the air reistance.
   I found out about this when I made a reproduction of the Hedeby slings with the slits in the pouch. I got better distance.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #50 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 11:43am

Johnny did the drawings for the fig 8 style, here is a link to the first time when they came on the forum: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10839297...

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #51 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 4:41am

Zwiebeltuete,

Your suggestion is noted, but I doubt that there enough motivated, experienced slingers here to make each pages viable. (That's a challenge people's prove me wrong.) The aim of the casting styles page is to introduce each slinging style type I am going to eventually start bugging the artists on the forums for help with the page but not right now. My motion picture subject hasn't got back to me yet, so it can wait.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #52 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 9:50am

nightweave, i may have already volunteered for this, but i will trace some of the videos for the casting styles once they are up.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #53 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 7:40am

Siguy,

Thanks, on both efforts. (Yes you had volenteered for the videos)

By the by, lead glands are sooooooo much more fun than tennisballs.

If you could keep the progression across the wiki page like we have with Johnny's I would also appreciate that.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #54 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 12:54pm

sure thing.  i am going to try to start working on them today, but i don't know if i can get my brother to help me out

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)