Baking Obsidian (Read 1930 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Baking Obsidian
Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:26pm

I know in flintknapping sometimes it's a good idea to bake certain types of rocks to make them more workable and break more predictably, but I got hold of some really fissile obsidian that tends to shatter more than flake and I was wondering if it was common or acceptable practice (or safe, for that matter) to bake obsidian to make it flake better and how would I go about it?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Baking Obsidian
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:36pm

try posting on paleo planet as well; they're good with that sort of thing.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 11:30am

It really depends on water content as to whether it's safe or not.  I've never really used obsidian, so I don't know much about the water content in it.  I know that most flints and cherts typically have quite a lot of water in, and will often just shatter or explode when heated.  I'd say go and ask someone on PaleoPlanet.  Sorry I couldn't help.

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 3:24am

heating it will not help     more info on tools used  angles  thickness  and other  info would help      obsidian it like any other glass  only made by nature

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

CavemanBob
Novicius

It's so easy, a Caveman
can do it!

State of Confusion
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:36pm

Actually, obsidian is a working material that you don't need to heat treat.  I suspect what you got on had is just bad obsidian (well, for knapping, anyway)...remember, obsidian is a glass, made in volcanoes, and the problem might not be water at all, but the gasous composition of your material...the Obisidian Spirit did not create all obsidian to be equal. 

Speaking for myself, I prefer to use obsidian (from www.neolithics.com) or glass.  When I get flint, it's already heat treated, which is a slow process of bringing the heat up slooowly, and bringing it down slooowly.  Otherwise, you get...gravel.  For much more info than you could ever think of using, consult my friends at...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheTarp

Caveman Bob

Just because a Caveman can do it, doesn't mean it's easy...

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:52pm

Thank you all for your help and your responses. They parallel exactly what I have been getting off other boards. this tells me I may have what I expected; bad obsidian, or at least not great. All and all, I didn't really lose out. I traded a guy some slings and some glandes for it

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar)