it survived! (Read 4265 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
it survived!
Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:07pm

let's start with a little story:
so, this morning i woke up and was like "oh no, i have only five minutes until i need to be out the door" and so i rushed around getting ready, packed a very nutritios breakfast and lunch(powerbar for breakfast, pre-packaged brownie for lunch, with a caprisun that i drank with breakfast) and quickly looked for my favorite sling, not finding it, i just stuck my second fav into my pocket and ran out the door.  i come home this afternoon, some hours go by, and i walk in to the kitchen, where my mom is sitting in front of the laptop.  i am like "ummm...mom, you see my sling anywhere?"  then shee's like "yeah, it's sitting ontop of the clean laundry pile"  i have a flashback; take off pants, toss into laundry hamper, little did i know at the time my fav sling was in the pocket.  back to the present: i walk to the pile, pick up my sling in suspense, and am very happy with what i find.  my leather pouch is soft and pliable as always.  yay!  this tells me that the leather that ron sent me in trade for a sling was probably deer hide, not cow hide, meanign it will dry soft.

anyways....
that is why i am so happy. anyone else have any near sling death experiances?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

fishertech
Novicius

*Shifty eyes*

Keene NH
Re: it survived!
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:16pm

Well my sling did almost go through the wash today, but since I went out slinging this evening I remembered I left it in my pants pocket and was able to save it from the evil washer. Not that going through the wash would have hurt it at all... But whatever.

Hobbies: Yo-yo, Making maille stuff, Slinging, Archery, Mountain biking, Driving stick, Climbing trees, Airguns, Potato cannons, And electronics.
fischertek23  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:19pm

Well ... I boiled a sling nearly to death, a couple of days ago.

I picked up some leather scraps from a shop that makes leather goods.  Free!  I made a sling with a LoboHunter pouch pattern.  That design requires stiff leather, and this stuff was quite supple.  So I remembered about "cuirbouillie" and decided to try it.  Put a pot of water on the stove, a rock in the pouch, and dipped the sling in the water and held it there about five minutes.  Then I pulled it out, and hung it to dry.

It worked, sort of.  The leather is stiff, and the pouch holds the desired shape.  But it SHRANK!  And it shrank UNEVENLY!  The pouch is not straight anymore, it curls!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:23pm

that's a shame dale.  times like that you wish you had a time machine to go back in time and not do something like that. Sad

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:42pm

Yeah, next time I'll boil the leather BEFORE I cut a pouch from it...

Or maybe, since I can't hurt it anymore, I'll boil it again and stretch it while it's drying.  Ought to work.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:04pm

siguy,
  I know it was deer hide, and I believe its brain tanned.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:07pm

I once was on a trip in PEI, Canada.  At a beach I suddenly wanted to try a new style of slinging, the underhand behind the back.  With my favourite sling I went full power.  It was a pretty throw but the probem was that my sling flew out with the rock!  I don't know how but it slipped out of my fingers.  The sling floated about 50 feet away from me on its' way across the atlantic ocean.  What did I do?

I dove, fully clothes with shoes on, into the ice cold water and got it back! Grin  My friends thought I was crazy, but I know real slingers would understand. 8)

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:10pm

woa.... and this is why I don't make slings that nice. Good story though Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:23pm

I didn't have to dive into freezing water, but I managed to underhand my sling up into a tree one time. Animals my size aren't natural tree climbers, but my friend who was with me said it was pretty impressive to watch me jump into the tree and break off the branch that snagged my sling. There was no way it was going to support my weight at the end of the branch, and it was higher than I could jump and grab. He also laughed at me for not using one of the numerous sticks on the ground to get it out of the tree. Typical me, I suppose...

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:42pm

At times of crises sometimes things like that happen.  Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:45pm

like getting stuck in an elevator for eleven minutes and resorting to cannibalism.

or swimming 4/5 of the way to civilization only to get tired, so have to turn around.

Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 5:43pm

That's OK, Let me tell you about my young apprentice.
( he knows who he is)  Somehow, his sling got lost, and became a cat toy. This was a sling made of pigskin leather, and the cat shredded it!
  I just want to see the size of the cat that did it.( or maybe not)

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 6:13pm

My sling was washed, and it dried stiff, so I took olive oil and put it in with that (on the not-flesh side), and then letting it stay like that over the night. Next morning I streched aound the edge of the kitchen table. It really helps.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 4:02pm

Quote:
from hemp braid:
  I processed the sling with a trip through the washing machine. Now this sling is quite soft and fluffy. I don't think the overall strength was reduced by much and it does not whistle as much when I cast.   

This is an 8 Strand with 2 ea. 4 strand as a split pouch
back to 8 strand. And much improved , I believe, by the trip through the washing machine. Some times washing is beneficial.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 3:07pm

On the topic of washing
I've noticed that braided slings a very easy to wash, particularly if there made of nylon. This is important, because lately there have been muddy conditions where I'm at.

I think these stories should be compiled, and archived somehow. Label it 'sling humor', 'stories of sling & stone', or 'Slingers stretch'. Some of these stories we can all relate too. Roll Eyes

Slingbadger,
My GF fosters kittens, trust me a single fluffy little kitten can be a monster to any thing that has string. Fear not that shredding machine is only fluffy.  Grin

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)