Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Slinging after a break (Read 7865 times)
Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: Slinging after a break
Reply #30 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 4:02pm

In fact I couldn't wait that long and just tried your suggestions. I know that the stone flew. I heard that it did fly quite some distance. But I can't say more. It's to dark to see. And it is now raining again.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #31 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 6:54am

I tried the arm position, hip movement and body not-movement here at my throwing site in the office (from 3 meters distance at a post-it note at the wall with a paper ball). I think it is more stable than with body movement. It reminds me much of golf. The difference is that with golf you do a 180° turn of your hips. Maybe somebody who knows how to do Apache might want to try a 180° turn. It is done in golf by standing with knees slightly bent, so that they can adjust to the rotation. The position is not 45 but 90° turned sideways. The feet are slightly turned outside. Starting position would be hip 180° turned away from target. Final position would be hip pointing at the target.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #32 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 12:34pm

so maybe an analogy to golf would be better than one to baseball?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #33 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 12:53pm

For me? Sure! Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #34 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 2:22pm

Golf!  Why didn't I think of golf?  Siguy, Zwiebeltüte, you are both right, my footwork for the Apache style is more like a golfer than a baseball pitcher.  A golfer does not lift either foot from the ground.  However, a golfer twists both feet, and I just twist my right foot (the one to the rear).  My left foot remains planted.

Oh!  I have just figured out the mechanics of why a baseball pitcher takes a step forward.  He is increasing the force of his throw, by leaning in the direction of the throw; he must lift his leg, to counterbalance the motion of his upper body; that means he falls forward as he throws, and so must put the leg down again to keep from falling over.

Zwiebeltüte, in your video you were doing the same kind of lean-forward that a baseball pitcher does, but you did not lift your left leg to counterbalance, and so you must lift your right leg behind you to counterbalance.

The Apache slinging style, as Grandfather taught it to Larry Forsyth, does not use leaning at all; it depends on twisting the body to increase the force of the cast, just as a golfer twists his body.  The twist is different, of course: the golfer is twisting his shoulders and upper body in a slanted plane; the line from his heart to the golf ball lies in that plane, and the golf club's head travels in that plane.  The slinger is twisting his whole torso in a horizontal plane; his shoulders lie in that plane, but the stone or ball he is slinging does not move in the plane at all.  Mechanically, it is a more complex motion.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2006 at 3:38pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #35 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 2:25pm

I tried to follow the comments with success. 3 out
of 50 hits on the trunk (yesterday 0 out of 50) and maybe 5 or 6 in the branches above (yesterday 0). The things I changed are: only little movement of my body ahead (I think this improves stability and therefore accuracy), turning of the hip, throwing arm hanging straight down, turning of the throwing arm more vertical, non-throwing arm on body. I will try to make another video on the weekend. With all that the power behind a throw increased, although without a quantitative measure. And I have the feeling my accuracy increased. And I have also the feeling that my greek overhand has more power now.

Thanks, you save me months of training.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #36 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 3:38pm

Btw. I am collection all my slinging related stuff at http://www.mbsks.franken.de/slinging/slinging.html . There is also a log of my accuracy.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #37 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 4:14pm

Dale,

True words! I experienced the same during the start of my second slinging season.

funda

Quote:
Zweibeltute,
You have been slinging since about last September?  You are not doing badly.

My slinging varied wildly, at the start and for several months.  Lucky I was slinging tennis balls.  Mostly.  I did sling a few rocks, but I gave that up after I sent one straight up and didn't know where it was going to hit (and so didn't know which way to duck!)

What I noticed, was that I did best when I was not thinking about it.  If I tried a new sling, or a new technique, I did well for a short while, then I did poorly again.  My conscious mind started evaluating what I was doing, and trying to control how I was slinging.  But slinging is too quick for conscious control; you must just look at the target and GO.  And you have to practice and practice to attain consistency.

"Beginner's luck" is something that definitely occurs in slinging: your first few casts may be good, because you don't know what you are doing and so your reflexes (especially if they are trained in some other sport like tennis or baseball) can work the sling for you.  In my opinion, the only people that will sling badly at the very start, are those that think they know how to sling and are working the sling consciously.  Especially if they think they have to build up speed for 10 or 20 rotations before letting go...

But that does not describe you, from what I know of you.  I believe this awkwardness is just a phase in your training, where your conscious mind and your reflexes are fighting for control.  When you learn to consciously select a target and then hand it off to your reflexes, you will get better.  I don't know how this happens.  But it does.  I am much better now than I was at my six-month mark; I've been slinging for about a year and a quarter, I think.

Keep slinging, and don't get discouraged.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #38 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 5:10pm

Zwiebeltüte,

I just looked at your personal slinging page.  I heartily agree with something you said there:

"Golf is a challenge for your whole life, but slinging is a challenge for your next three lives."

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #39 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 10:43pm

Dale, your words are pregnant with description....but to enter the 'hall of heroes' here at slinging.org we must have benefit of even the most humble video clip.

You know I speak truth, big brother.

If you doubt this, you might ask Mgreenfield about the honor bestowed upon him after posting his video clips.

Or perhaps look back to my revelatory 'discus pitch' episode.

Or not, my memory is a bit 'haze'y.....

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #40 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 11:03pm

Ahhhh... the discus pitch installment... good times.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #41 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 11:38pm

Certainly your signal whip sling footage puts you closer to Nwmanitou's pedestal than I!

Wink

TS
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2006 at 2:05pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #42 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 10:20am

Ta, ta, ta, ta! Ladies and Gentlement, I proudly present a new motion picture recording of my humble slinging talents:

http://www.mbsks.franken.de/slinging/apache-060618-cinepak.avi

Vielen Dank fuer Ihr Vertrauen
Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #43 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 10:24am

nice video!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #44 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:35pm

It looks like you feel better with your movements, if it is not enough yet, try stepping while you move your sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)