Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Slinging after a break (Read 7858 times)
Leeds_Lobber

Slinging after a break
Apr 10th, 2006 at 4:38am

It's been a cold dark winter, and working the hours I do I have had almost no opportunity to sling during the winter months.

So, with the clocks going forward I went to the Park on Saturday for my first practice since maybe November.

Oh my. Accuracy has not been affected, but range certainly has... I went to the wall I shoot at to collect rocks, and couldn't find any - had they all overshot? nope - they had all landed maybe 30 metres short!

I have a lazy life, do little upper body excercise (lower body is great, legs good and strong, but arms are like pipe-cleaners) and it looks like my slinging muscles have wasted away over the winter!

Any suggestions for an excercise regime that would strengthen slinging muscles in particular? I use Helicopter by the way.

Pat

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Slinging after a break
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 7:13am

I'd just keep slinging! Cheesy

Most pleasurable excercise there is!

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 7:49am

anthing that works your arms and deltoids in your back and shoulders is really good, but I would rather sling and work out the right muscles and have fun doing it rather than spending time in the gym.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 10:11am

After not practicing for a while you could be more open to shoulder injury, so some of these exercises might help preventing that:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11406273...

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 12:32pm

I'd just suggest some simple free-weights.  Most of all, try to exercise both triceps and biceps - the rotations of the helicopter sling style require contraction and expansion of the upper arm muscles, and both sets are needed.  That's all I'd do if I wanted to improve my slinging.

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 6:30pm

I started slinging this year some weeks ago. It didn't start bad. Good distance. Reasonable good direction for me. But since one or two weeks I am slinging terrible. I do not feel putting power into slinging anymore and the direction is terrible. Have you had similar experiences? I hope this get's back to normal soon. (Or even better than normal.  Grin)

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 7:13pm

Zweibeltute,
You have been slinging since about last September?  You are not doing badly.

My slinging varied wildly, at the start and for several months.  Lucky I was slinging tennis balls.  Mostly.  I did sling a few rocks, but I gave that up after I sent one straight up and didn't know where it was going to hit (and so didn't know which way to duck!)

What I noticed, was that I did best when I was not thinking about it.  If I tried a new sling, or a new technique, I did well for a short while, then I did poorly again.  My conscious mind started evaluating what I was doing, and trying to control how I was slinging.  But slinging is too quick for conscious control; you must just look at the target and GO.  And you have to practice and practice to attain consistency.

"Beginner's luck" is something that definitely occurs in slinging: your first few casts may be good, because you don't know what you are doing and so your reflexes (especially if they are trained in some other sport like tennis or baseball) can work the sling for you.  In my opinion, the only people that will sling badly at the very start, are those that think they know how to sling and are working the sling consciously.  Especially if they think they have to build up speed for 10 or 20 rotations before letting go...

But that does not describe you, from what I know of you.  I believe this awkwardness is just a phase in your training, where your conscious mind and your reflexes are fighting for control.  When you learn to consciously select a target and then hand it off to your reflexes, you will get better.  I don't know how this happens.  But it does.  I am much better now than I was at my six-month mark; I've been slinging for about a year and a quarter, I think.

Keep slinging, and don't get discouraged.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 7:53pm

for some good basic exercise; do push ups and crunches.  i started a couple of months ago doing twenty pansie push ups(on my knees, not toes)and 150 crunches in between sets of 10 pushups.  i am now doing twenty five push ups on each side, with 225 crunches in the middle.   this builds all of the basic muscles and slims up your belly.   these may help, bnut definately keep slinging.  maybe try some heavier ammo than you are used to, to build up your muscles, then switch bakc to normal weight ammo.  you may notice an increase in distance then.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:01pm

how about this fancy device?
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11445086...

on each side... you mean one-handed like? congratulations.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:24pm

no, i mean one part before the crunches and one part after; one on each side.  i wish i could do one handed!

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:45am

I have already noticed, that if I do not get the stone away after two or three rotations it gets really bad. Tongue

Quote:
Keep slinging, and don't get discouraged.

I will do so. Thanks for your advice.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:11pm

I did as suggested and now at least the direction is back to my normal precission. The distance is still bad, but there are more days to exercise.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:20pm

At the moment my "precission" is back to normal, but not my distance. Today I ignored distance and did some lazy Apache slinging. With little effort the pebbles flew up to 50m, which is not bad compared to my record of about 75m.

Btw. I did made yesterday baked balls from selfdigged clay like they had in the Roman Empire. I also made yesterday a lead glans. (What is the plural of "glans"?)

When people see these projectiles they think the clay ball is heavier. When people hold them they think the lead glans is heavier. In fact both have a weight of approx. 52g.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:05pm

Glandes.

I like to use the word Glans in an agressive manner.

When my wife is assisting me sling, i particularly enjoy it.

"Here Darling, will you just hold  my Glans for me? Don't put it in your mouth, you might choke."

Pat

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:47pm

Wink

Ok, just like in latin.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)