Send Topic Print
Staf sling string (Read 1791 times)
Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Staf sling string
Apr 8th, 2006 at 5:56am

Hello slingers.
Does anybody know the ideal string length for a staf sling?
I have made 2 staf slings. The string length from pouch to the staf is about 75 cm. Is this to long?
On my next staf sling I am thinking about using a string lenght of about 40 cm (from staf to pouch).
I am using sisal rope as a string. Both on my normal slings and staf slings. Do you think this to stif?
The reason I am using sisal for string is that I fell it is more historical than nylon.
Maybe I will try a softer rope next time, if it makes me throw the stone longer. Smiley

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Staf sling string
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm

It depends. The longer the cord, the more power is needed to launch. Of course, the long cords also mean longer distance. Which means of course more power needed to get the job done. Undecided Confused??
  I experimented a long time with mine. The distance works for me.  I would recommend just experimenting.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 12:11am

Hey, Rebel,                                                                                    
   Sisal is a very nice material but I suspect it is too stiff. I have made a couple of slings out of ordinary cotton clothesline 3/16 inch (5 mm)
thick. I have been using one of these for about two months now with good results. The cotton rope is very flexible and has a nice soft slightly "warm" feel in the hand.                                    
   I suspect that hemp rope may work well also but I have not been able to find any thicker than string in the stores around here.         
   I haven't tried a staff sling yet but it is definitely on my "to do" list.
   Best of luck and let us know how it works out. Pictures would be nice if you have a digital camera.                                   .......Dan

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:53am

i hve seen a stafsling without any cords actually just a long leather pouch that connects to the hook on the end. looked like it worked too;D

Taiki  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 8:48am

Thanks.
I will try diferent kind of rope, and maybe
a long pice of leather also (if I can find some). Smiley
Slinging with an ordernary sling is quite painful to my fingers, so I think I will stick to my staf sling.
I am new to slinging and i find it easier to hit my targets
with a staf sling than my normal sling.
So far I can throw a stone of aprox 0,5 kilo ca 50 meters.
With more training I hope to doble that distance Grin
Do you have similar experience?

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 9:47am

i can get it a fair distance but nothing near half a kilo  Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 10:10am

I did not weight the stone, but it was quite heavy (and big). It was maybe not a half kilo, but not far of either. (hope my spelling is ok. I have a litle problem translating to english from my native norwegian.) Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 6:42pm

don't worry about it, your english is much better than some of our (or as it would be said 'are') new members.

haha, sorry i just had to put in that last bit before reconcilations are made.

^^it is true though

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 12:09am

Cry Rebel,                                                                                  

If you are experiencing pain in your fingers with an ordinary sling let me suggest making one with a much larger finger loop. I made my cotton rope slings with a retention loop big enough to wrap around three fingers: middle finger, ring finger, and little (pinky) finger. I suspected that a one finger size loop would put an awful lot of stress on that finger, so I made my loop big enough to distribute the stress over three fingers and so far I have experienced no discomfort at all. You could even try a "wrist loop" although I haven't tried this yet. In fact, I was out this afternoon and probably hurled about forty stones with no problem at all.  Smiley                                                                           
    You could also try padding the loop. The cotton rope I am using is 3/16 inch (5 mm) in diameter and so does not dig in like a thin string would. 8)                                                           .......Dan            

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 5:36pm

Thank you Slinger man Dan.
I will make a new sling with a big wrist loop.
I have bought some 5 mm nylon rope that I will try.
I cut down a nice tree for making a new staf sling.
It is about 1 inch (2,54 cm) in diameter and ca 1,5 meters in length.
I have spoken with some friends that are longbow shoothers, if I can demonstrate some slinging for them. They where very interested, and maybe I can convert them to slingers Grin
I have been invited to the long distance shooting competition (with bows) and have a go with my slings.
I dont think I can throw wery far (compered to a bow),but at least I will give them a demonstration in slinging. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)