Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Death of Manfred Korfmann (Read 2698 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Death of Manfred Korfmann
Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:55pm

I looked up this great archaeologist on Wikipedia and realized he passed away last August. As most of you know, he wrote a great article for Scientific American about the sling. Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Korfmann

Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Death of Manfred Korfmann
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:25pm

That man had an an enviable life!

Also recently passed away....is Reverend Stacy Groscup who has done a good work (among many) in demonstrating the plausibility of the Biblical David and Goliath account.  Dr. Groscup was quite adept at using various primitive weapons.

http://stacylgroscup.memory-of.com/photos.aspx

Stacy participated in the Ancient secrets of the Bibe DVD wherein he demonstrated the sling to show it was in fact, capable of the feat contained in the David and Goliath account.

These men, Korfmann and Groscup, certainly did more than their share to advance a knowledge worthy of surviving them.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:47pm

I think the reason he(Stacy) lived such a full life was because he was a kid on the inside!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:51pm

Kind of like most of us on the forum! 

Wish I could be a little more like one on the outside, these days....

Embarrassed

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:03pm

I've known for several months that Dr. Korfmann passed away.  His contributions to the field of slinging will never be forgotten.  I still regard his article in Scientific American as the most prominent piece of literature on the topic.

Chris

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 7:27pm

Helloooo,

Anyone has a copyof his (manfred korfmann) article in the scientific american, my local library hasn't got that magazine... 

Thx,

Burro.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 7:53pm

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 10:01pm

The Trojan wars didn't take place in Troy in Turkey. They actually took place in Bronze age Britain, as a war between mainland Celts and their British kin over tin deposits around Northumberland.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:27pm

Evidence?  I would decide, personally, not to call them the Trojan wars if they took place outside Troy.  What you're saying, really, is that the Trojan wars did not take place, because I find it somewhat unlikely that Homer would have written about Northumberland.  I suppose it's possible, theoretically, that a war could have been fought between continentals and Britons in the Bronze Age, but it is more likely to have been Cornish tin; at least, somewhere further south (ie, closer to the continent) than the Borders.  In whatever case, there was a large conurbation called Troy on the western tip of Turkey that around 1200 BCE had a protracted war with several parts of Greece, and this is what Homer wrote about.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 8:40pm

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 11:23am

I say we give him a 21 sling salute. Cremate the body, work the ashes into glandes, then launch!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)