Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Energy of a slingshot. (Read 1290 times)
Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Energy of a slingshot.
Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:23pm

Hello slingers.
Have anybody found out how much energy a slingshot will give? Mesuring in ft.lb or kgm.
I am thinking of a normal throw using both roman glans and a stone.
Does anybody know this? Smiley

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Energy of a slingshot.
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:29pm

not of my knowlage but its a sling here not a slingshot Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:33pm

Sorry.
My bad spelling. Sling it is Roll Eyes

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 5:59pm

dale did some math for force exerted on the sling, and my figures for ft lbs of energy are the last post of this page : http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11430761...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:37pm

Here are some figures I came up with.  I'll go through the calculations in a minute, but the bottom line is: a well-slung rock can pack nearly the same punch as a popular military side-arm.

OK, here's the details:

Speed of rock at release equals rotational speed of sling.  That, in turn, is circumference of circle the sling swings in, divided by how long it takes for a full circle.  Circumference is twice the radius, times pi.  Radius is my arm length plus the sling length; call it 5 feet  or 1.5 meter.  Rotational speed of sling, just before release, somewhere between 7 and 10 revs/second.  Pi is 3.14 (plus a few million more digits that we won't worry about).

Putting the above data together, we can get minimum and maximum figures for the speed the rock is moving as it leaves my sling:
   2 * 3.14 * 5 / (1/7)    = 220 ft/sec = 150 mi/hr
   2 * 3.14 * 5 / (1/10)  = 314 ft/sec = 214 mi/hr

In metric, the speed range is  to 67.0 to 95.8 m/s (241 to 345 km/hr).

Now, the kinetic energy of the rock is found by multiplying half its mass by the square of its speed.  If the rock I'm slinging masses 4 ounces (113 grams)...

"Too confusing for English, switching to metric!"

OK, with the mass in kilograms and the speed in meters/second,
   0.5 * 0.113 * 67.02 = 254 joules
   0.5 * 0.113 * 95.82 = 519 joules

Converting this back to English units, that's in the range of 187 to 382 foot-pounds.

For comparison, the kinetic energy of a .45 caliber bullet fired from a Colt automatic (standard U.S. Army sidearm, or used to be) is around 500 to 550 joules (369 to 405 foot-pounds) at the muzzle (depends on who measured it, I saw different figures in different tables).

I think somebody like Jurek, or Knollslinger, or Larry Bray, would probably exceed the 10 revs/second figure, so their rocks would pack even more punch.  I was going to measure Jurek's speed when he knocked a tire off a wall, but I cannot view his video anymore ... lost the video codec or something.

Hmmm... Roman military physicians had an tool practically identical to what modern physicians use to remove bullets.  The Romans used this tool to remove glandes.  Now we know why they needed such a tool.

Be careful with those slings, people!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 3:39am

Thanks.
This is almost wath I belived it would be. My first guess was the same energy as a 38 spesial.
Because of my rheumatism I can not throw very hard. But with my stafsling I think the energy is going up quite a bit.
Finaly the snow is melting away here in Norway also. Soon there will be stones for my slings Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)