i need some tips (Read 2174 times)
sling-slangman
Novicius

i came i slung...i think
i hit the neighbors car..

Sanfor, Florida, US
i need some tips
Apr 5th, 2006 at 3:36pm

Hey im new to this whole slinging thing (i just started a week ago)...and i was wondering if you all had any advice for me...i have already made two slings...my newest one consists of one 3 strand brait 4 or 5 feet long, and a 4 strand braid of about the same length.  My pouch is a 6 inch oblong octagon.  Is this too long... i am only able to fling stones around 70 or 80 yards with it.  what are your suggestions?

p.s. Slinging is awsome!   Grin

Chuck Norris slings....
igotascrewloose3  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: i need some tips
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:01pm

is that 48 to 60 inch from the center pouch. Depending Apon your slnging style that maybe a little long But there are slingers on here that definily use longer slings with good results

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

sling-slangman
Novicius

i came i slung...i think

Sanfor, Florida, US
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:28pm

yeah thats 48 to 60 from the pouch.  also...do you think i should use two triple braid strands or two 4 braid.  i find that with the configuration I have now, the larger braid gets in the way...btw my "release" strand is wider (being that its 4 strips of rawhide) than my "anchor" strand (which consists of three strips of rawhide)

Chuck Norris slings....
igotascrewloose3  
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 7:08pm

when i braid i just combine all my strands into three groups and make it simple. when i braid with four main strands, i like to use a core which prevents the braid from stretching too much.

BTW nice picture Grin

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

sling-slangman
Novicius

i came i slung...i think

Sanfor, Florida, US
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:45pm

what kind of core?  wire or somthing more flexible?

Chuck Norris slings....
igotascrewloose3  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:34pm

That length sounds a little long. For me, when I make a sling I find the ideal length by extending my arm with a fist and hook the pouch on my thumb and stretch the cords to my shoulder of the same arm. When hung relaxed by side its a little higher than ankle length. Biggest thing is to take slow until it feels natural, its all about control. Learning to sling is exactly like the first time you learned to throw your first ball,except with a lot more potential for damage or injury.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:09am

I forgot to add not to over do it with the number of revolutions you swing. There really is no need to swing any more than one or two swings before the release. The more revolutins the greater the risk for tangling the cords. It is also harder to aim. I like one quick powerful swing and release making it all one single motion. I cant stress enough to clear out a large area including behind you. A safe slinger is a happy slinger

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:49am

Quote:
what kind of core?  wire or somthing more flexible?

always something flexible and has no stretch. i would never use wire unless i need it to add weight to the sling cords, and even then, i would only use really flexible wire. For example; Matthias used lead-cored fishing wire to make his whip sling (http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11231050...), and that turned out really well. but in general, a core must be flexible and and have no stretch. hope it helps. 8)
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

sling-slangman
Novicius

i came i slung...i think

Sanfor, Florida, US
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 7:29pm

thanks guys thats alot of help-

I made a sling with the length that dork suggested, and it rocks.  My accuracy is up higher as well as sling speed. thanks alot guys

Chuck Norris slings....
igotascrewloose3  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 9:20pm

Welcome sling-slangman!

Experiment as much as you can and you'll soon find out what suits you best.

Do you mind changing your avatar?  I find it a little disturbing.

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Quote:
Do you mind changing your avatar?  I find it a little disturbing.

I like it Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:57pm

An actual head shot is not quite so dramatic. More grey matter than bloody ooze. Usually only a small entrance wound with a large exit wound, unless you hit him with one of LoboHunters hunting glands Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:51pm

I agree with Tint, please change it.

The movie is also making the site slower, you will not know it if you are on broadband, but I used a very slow connection yesterday and then it can make a difference of minutes.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)