Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
North American Slings (Read 10119 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
North American Slings
Apr 4th, 2006 at 12:29am

I just want everybody to know about a new site I just found. The American Museum of Natural History in New York has a number of slings in their collection. You can see them at:http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/query_result.cfm

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: North American Slings
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:55am

Quote:
I just want everybody to know about a new site I just found. The American Museum of Natural History in New York has a number of slings in their collection. You can see them at:http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/query_result.cfm

Hello again, bigkahuna! Slinging people! Bigkahuna has hit slingers gold! For some reason the link did not work for me so I tried googling "american museum of natural history slings" and hit paydirt. I got back in by googling "Plantation cache charmstones" or even
"Chuuk sling." Both the projectiles and the sling are beautiful work.
I wonder what the Chuuk sling is made of? Also, it is a braided sling with a split pouch but the pouch appears to be in FOUR braids as near as I can determine from the photograph?? Maybe one of you who is good at braiding could "reverse engineer" one of these slings!? The article can be downloaded as a PDF.

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 7:37am

Thanks bigkahuna! Grin

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 4:33pm

this makes me want to cry!  i went to the american museum of natural history in new york at the end of last school year.  i wish i had known of slings then i surely would have looked and then i would have seen!  oh well. i plan on returning someday.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 1:04pm

That is a nice sling Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:07am

Any time any of you guys go to a museum, you should check to see if they have an Anthropology Dept. If they do ,then ask if they have any slings in their collections. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:02am

Anthropology is just intrinsically interesting anyway, so even if they have no slings, go along anyway.
  Some of the slings in the collections are from the Plains - a Gros Ventre sling, for instance, and a Lakota one.  However, they appear to have been collected late - I assume they aren't traditional objects, but introduced later.
  The leather work on some of these slings is exceptional.  The south western slings are really nice.
  However, my favourite one is a Nootka sling collected in 1897 of "plant fibre."  Knowing the climate in the region, I'd say it could be of two main plants; willow bark or nettle fibre.  It looks a lot like willow bark to me.  I've made a willow bark sling, but it's a heck of a lot crappier than that one.  I'll try and make a replica when the sap starts really flowing again.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:10am

Oh, btw, I searched the collection for "bow" and on the third page, there was an Inuit crossbow stock, exactly like Chinese tribal crossbows!  It's fascinating.  It was collected in 1894 and so it is almost certainly due to new, shared information with the outside world, and the shape of the stock undoubtedly copies a gunstock, but even so... it's quite amazing.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:24am

Like Yogi Berra said, "you see alot by looking".

John Walker  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:35am

Indeed. Lol. Smiley

I've actually found some other little native American crossbows, and the bows are very beautiful.  Thanks for showing us the site.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 10:24pm

My pleasure.

John Walker  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Bumping this up for the Benfit of the newer Members

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 1:57pm

There are some interesting pouches there. I notice a lot of them have a line of nicks or notches cut into the fold line. I'll try something like that soon no doubt Smiley

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Sling-man-Dan

Having lived  'next door' by Pacific island standards (on Kwajalein in the RMI), I saw a fair amount of braided 'fiber art' done by the Micronesians, of which the Chuukese are a part.  My best guess is that that sling is made from split strands of coconut leaf shaft.  It could be from Breadfruit or Pandanus, but coconut fiber cord is the general purpose twine, and  pieces long enough to make that sling could easily be turned out in an hour or so in the shade of the palm that the leaves came from.  What those folks can do with coconut palm leaves in just a short time is flat amazing.  I wish now I'd spent more time on the yearly Manit Day (local crafts demos) watching the twine/rope makers.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 1:47am

siguy wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 4:33pm:
this makes me want to cry!  i went to the american museum of natural history in new york at the end of last school year.  i wish i had known of slings then i surely would have looked and then i would have seen!  oh well. i plan on returning someday.

Just be happy that you ever got to go to that museum.  It is something that every person should do before they die - the place is that much of a wonderful jewel.
I haven't been there in years, but my dad used to occasionally take me and my siblings.  I still remember standing under that giant prehistoric shark jaw and staring up in amazement.  Shocked

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)