Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
glass arrowhead buildalong (Read 8059 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
glass arrowhead buildalong
Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:02am

I don’t have the greatest of pictures so bare with me Grin

All you need is a nail and some glass. I have an old file with a pointy tip that i also use.

Try to get some glass in the shape of what you want first it goes quicker that way. I was being stupid and broke the curved green beer bottle glass, I wish i would of gotten a pic of the bolt with the green glass head on them. Looked like something out of tolken Cheesy

I like to knapp the glass on a hard surface like wood and i would always do this outside or some place that you can clean up the glass. Wear glasses or something you dont want glass in your eyes.  Hold the glass at an angle and place the pointy tip of the nail on the glass close to the edge. Press and pull down and little chips of glass will fly off of the edge. Repeat this all the way down the one side of the glass.  Being an arrow you only need to get the right shape and the point I dont think that it needs to be sharp. So dont worry about turning the glass over and makeing the edge sharp.

If the glass broke unevenly and you want the arrowhead shape go over any of the spots that stick out.

the pictures that show how to hold the glass when knapping got messed up so hold on a while longer for them.

once you get the arrowhead shape start on the little groves (do they have a name?) that the string will wrap around to hold the arrowhead in place. Just keep breaking glass off of one spot. I would use the nail for this part you don’t want something too skinny for some reason very pointy things like to snap the glass. Once you have a groove in one side repeat with the other. I always try to file the sharp edges of the groove down with the side of the nail so i don’t cut the string.

Now that you have the arrowhead you can start to attach it to the arrow shaft. I used a saw to cut a deep groove as wide as the glass arrowhead in the shaft. I like to use sinew its great stuff and holds the arrowhead together well.

I suck at steam bending and i don’t have any rose or other
straight pieces of wood so i cheated and used a wooden dowel rod. It was crappy wood and split as i was trying to saw it. I tied the arrow head on also the split hunk of wood back together.

I was making a bolt and not an arrow and i was reading somewhere that they use to use leather fletching. So i gave leather fletching a try and its great. They keep better then feathers and there easer to get.

I just cut the shape i wanted and glued them to the shaft.

(I did use pine sap then tied  on the first batch on my steam bent sticks. But the sticks bent out of true and after a while the threads broke that tied the fletching to the shaft. I was going to make more but wanted to exparament with the glass arrow heads first. I just whipped these up and hot glued them to the shaft. Smiley)

you cant see too much but here is the whole thing

sorry about the crappy photo's and the lack of them also. Ill try to retake the ones showing me knapping.
I also apologize for my complete lack of descriptive skills so thanks for trudging along this far Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: glass arrowhead buildalong
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:12am

looks very cool, nicely done. A green, translucent, arrowhead would definitely look awesome, especially on a black arrow shaft. You make it sound pretty easy, only experimenting will tell though...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:13am

its not that hard truth told. Just go slow.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:16am

I use a a Perrier or sparkling grape juice bottle bottom if I want green arrowheads, root beer for brown/black and whatever brand of beer I happen to be drinking at the time will give me a different colour! Nice job, man! That looks pretty nasty. In the best way, of course!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:18am

And "the little grooves that hold the string" on the arrowhead are called notches. just ffr.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:46am

Thanks. I was worried that i was getting bow notches mixed up with the. So is any groove that holds a string called a notch?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 12:14pm

when you parry in swordfight if the steel is not of good enough quality - your blade will be notched, and in battle it could become saw-like, and break eventually.

so, there are many kinds of notches Smiley

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 12:45pm

say doug how about trying a bigger piece of glass and maybe thicker ? that point looks great but it looks a bit fragile really  Undecided i can't do better thats for sure i would have shatter the glass while working it it looks so thin  Shocked

also thanks for those tool pics Wink i might just go find a nail and give it a go Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 1:17pm

You can use a large bolt or a small file to break the bottom out of a beer bottle and break the vertical sides off it and knapp the discoidal bit at the bottom into a usable arrowhead. Just search for Knappers anonymous and "From beer bottle to arrowhead" and that should put you onto the website that gives you visuals and instuctions on how to do it. It's a lot easier than trying to do it out of straight obsidian chunks if you're just starting out. the problem, I find, with beer bottle bottoms is the writing and the markings on them that tend to make the glass shatter and break in strange ways.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 1:19pm

Yes at last a good glassknnaping buildalong.  Thanks Wink

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 1:24pm

Quote:
Thanks. I was worried that i was getting bow notches mixed up with the. So is any groove that holds a string called a notch?

well, a groove in the back of an arrow is called a "nock" as are the ones in a bow, as I was taught the terminology. And the string that holds the head in place is called the hafting.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 2:50pm

Here is a good glass knapping link:
www.geocities.com/knappersanonymous/bottle.html

Bottle bottom to arrow head in 8 steps

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:19pm

Nice article DtB! It's certainly a lot easier than trying to find flint or obsidian. PS, I like the carpet.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 10:15pm

Quote:
say doug how about trying a bigger piece of glass and maybe thicker ? that point looks great but it looks a bit fragile really  Undecided i can't do better thats for sure i would have shatter the glass while working it it looks so thin  Shocked

I see what you mean, but I certainly wouldn't underestimate that point... certainly lethal. As for being fragile, I don't think that you could break the glass with your fingers (without slicing them to ribbons anyway).

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 12:39am

Quote:
I see what you mean, but I certainly wouldn't underestimate that point... certainly lethal. As for being fragile, I don't think that you could break the glass with your fingers (without slicing them to ribbons anyway).

i never meant i would break it with my fingers Wink just while pushing down or something with the tool maybe i'm underestimating glass... and i'm Quite sure its lethal Tongue Absolutely

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)