Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
On request
Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:17pm

This is a simple braided sling with a woven pocket.
I give the basic instructions first, later I will give some variations.

Take 4 lengths of string each 3 times as long as the sling needs to be. You might have string left over at the end but it will be enough.)
Put one more length of string to the side, it need not be the same but it is easier if it is, same lenght is a good idea too.
The string needs to be about 2 or 3 mm (1/10") in diameter. Write down how long your strings are.

Tie your first 4 strings together in the middle. (For precieze people, just 5 cm (2") of the actual middle.)
Tie the piece of string you used to tie the strings together to a fixed point, use the longer lenghts, and braid 10 cm, (4") in the round braid of four. (You can use this
link
to see how to do that. )

After 10 cm (4") (or as much more or less as you want the finger loop to be,) tie a piece of string around your braid, it should have a tie at both ends now.
Bring those 2 ties together and tie a string around the whole. Make a note how long your strings are now, they sould be about 1.5 times the length of the sling now.
Make a new connection to your fixed point and start braiding the round braid of eight, (see
here
) as soon as you have used all your strings once take away all the pieces of string round your braid and pull on all the strings so there is no slack in any of them.
Braid till your string is long enough. But use no more than 20 cm (8") less than half the length of your strings. Check against the note you made at the start of the braid.
Tie a piece of string round your braid.

Tie each of your strings to a short stick, about 30 cm (12") from the end of the braid. (You can use this
knot
with your stick instead of the blue string.)
Take the piece of string you did put to the side and add fiddle it through the braid just before the tie. One end should be just long enough to tie to the stick, the other end can be wound into a little ball.
Tie both ends of the stick to your belt of to a bit of rope going round your back.
When you lean back there should be tension on the strings.

Now with the long end of the extra string you go one up one down between all the other strings. If you end Up go round the last string so you start with down on the second row.
At first you pull the extra string tight and puch it gently to the tie around the braid.
When you make your next row, pull it a little less tight and push it a little harder to the last one.
Continue with letting the weave go wider till the pouch is wide enough and continue in a straight line till just before the end of the pouch. Pull the string tight in a mirror image of the start of the pouch.
I made my pouch 12,5 cm (5") long and about 3,5 cm (1 1/3") wide. You can adjust the size, a bit, to your own preference.
At the end of you pouch tie a piece of string to keep all the strings together for the next braid.
Take all strings from your stick.
Idealy you now have one short string (the extra one added for the pouch,) eight of the same lenght (the ones you have been braiding with,) and one of unknown lenght. (Left over from weaving the pouch.) Keeping the 2 extra strings in the middle of the work start braiding again. (It may be easier to tie those extra strings to your belt again) braid for about 5 cm (2"). Take out the string around the start of the braid and pull well on all strings, and cut one of the the extra strings in the middle, and after an other cm (or so) cut the other too.

Go on with braiding till the string is long enough, if you want to tie a release knot it needs to be about 5 cm (2") longer than the one with the loop. Tie a temporary piece of string around the braid and see if the sling is right.

Tie a release knot (if you do not know an other the overhand knot will work) or tie a fancy knot in your strings.  See
here
for some you can use.

Your completed sling may look like this. But with the end more compact.

Variations:
- When you come to the weave of the pouch, do add 2 string and make a split pouch.
- Weave the pouch, split or not, with a much softer string and let it go round all the strings, covering them.
- At the end of the braid drop the strings one by one and in the weave pick them up one by one.
- Use weaving tablets and make a tablet weave pouch, using thin string for the weft you can make it a warp faced weave.
- Use your imagination and change more.

Willeke

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 12:56am by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: On request
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:56pm

Just want to let you know the pictures aren't showing up for some reason. It's probably my computer at work, but you never know...

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:04pm

it must be your computerat work  Undecided they work for me Smiley lets hope it clears up mammothunter there nice pics Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:06pm

Would "the filling for the wing" (http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/wing_table.html) work to make an easy netting for a sling?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 1:02am

MH,
That your pictures do not show may have to do with a pop-up blocker, I have troubles with that every now and again too.

Altay,
In my very first sling I used the 'filling for the wing' and it did not work for me, the 'knotwork' is to loose. But that might have been the string I used, so go ahead and try it for yourself.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 9:12am

Yes, thank you, they showed up at home last night and I was really impressed. I'm tempted to go to the hardware store today and get some twine so I can try it out myself!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:57pm

Bring to the top.
Because we are talking about it.

Willeke

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 8:48pm

Thank you for the great sling pictures and instructions. This is my next project.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:20am by bigkahuna »  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:09am

Are the frilly little bits on the release cord of any practical use or just because it's a girl's sling ? Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:12am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:09am:
Are the frilly little bits on the release cord of any practical use or just because it's a girl's sling ? Wink

I guess the picture was taken before the sling was finished:

Willeke wrote on Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:17pm:
Your completed sling may look like this. But with the end more compact.

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:27am

thats a nice sling willeke, thanks for the instructions.
so how well does a sling made from ribbon work, or is it a show piece?

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 3:55pm

The frilly end was a try to make a sling that cracked, but for me it did not. Might well be that I do not put enough power in my casts.
I had enough length of string to play with so I did.

It did sling well, but I am very much fond of my 4 coloured sling and I would hardly ever use anything else.
So when I had a reason to send a sling of I did send this sling.
It is now living in England, and I have never heard if the new owner ever used it.

(He and I discussed slings made of a combination of braiding and weaving so I felt this one was the right one to send.)

It is not just ribbon, it is a small strip of tyvek (105 gramms), and I think each string is strong enough to hold my weight, and as a braid it is certainly strong enough.

Willeke

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Yep defenetly strong enough i'm sure even i could suspend myself from it having held it at the meeting (btw me being sure of it being able to hold my weight is saying something...)  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 11:43am

lol, oh well, and I though it was just supposed to be pretty :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man)