Story thus Far (Read 1034 times)
CavemanBob
Novicius

It's so easy, a Caveman
can do it!

State of Confusion
Story thus Far
Mar 25th, 2006 at 4:30pm

Went out slinging today, at Waterworks Park in Cuyahoga Falls OH.  Went way way in the back, past what is actually "park", altho still owned by the park.  Took with me some "SpongeBob" golf balls, a nasty yellow but easy to track, some 4 oz egg sinker fishing weights, and of course, pebbles (I work in a library whose levy attempt failed, so any ammo I can just pick up off the ground is very welcome).  My first stop was a dirt pit/excavation, where I slung some stone, and snapped one of the golf balls into a wall of dirt.  And I do mean, "into", since the ball almost buried itself into the wall.  Then I went down to the Cuyahoga River and proceeded to get some rock wet.  Since this is way way in the back of the park, and the weather wasn't that great, it was quiet and I did my slinging undisturbed...well, except for some ducks and geese, which I left in peace (and *not* in pieces).  I discovered that dirt pit had literally *gobs* of sling-usable stone, and I had come prepared to load up by bringing a plastic bag with me...which I filled with as much stone as the bag would hold.

And in what do I hold my ammo when I'm out slinging?  I find that a waist pouch...the very sort of thing tourists use...comes in very handy.  Pouch on left side, sling in right hand...just unzip, "handle cartridge", zip, load.  Quick and easy, and since I already had that pouch, no further outlay.  I love my atlatl, wouldn't trade it fer nuthin, and I'm much more accurate with it than with the sling (hey, I just started slinging), but I have to buy the darts for it.  The advantage with the sling is I can do it on the cheap.

But I don't think I'd be able to bring down any mammoths with it...

Caveman Bob

Just because a Caveman can do it, doesn't mean it's easy...

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Re: Story thus Far
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 7:57pm

Sounds like you had a good day. How was the weather?

Quote:
But I don't think I'd be able to bring down any mammoths with it.

Bigger stones!!

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

CavemanBob
Novicius

It's so easy, a Caveman
can do it!

State of Confusion
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 8:15pm

Well, it was cloudy...upper 30's (Springtime in Ohio...when can I move to Florida?), and there were occasional flurries of granular snow.

Quote:
Sounds like you had a good day. How was the weather?

Bigger stones!!

Actually, I *did* find a 6 inch long stone to lob, about 2 inches thick.  And  *did* lob it, too...but darn near took me arm off in doing it...

Just because a Caveman can do it, doesn't mean it's easy...

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 9:16pm

one disadvantage with big sones is that they can sonetimes get back at you. my experience with that was at our holiday house; and i was using a 1inch wide nylon pouch for stones and using one of Yurek's styles. accidently hit myself in the shin at full power just before the release and got a whopper bruise with beautiful shades of purple and blue!

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 9:20pm

Aaauw my legs hurting just thinking about that one   Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)