Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Flour Glande Making Gone All WRONG... (Read 5082 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Flour Glande Making Gone All WRONG...
Mar 23rd, 2006 at 2:23am

Ok, since I dont have an oven here at college, I decided to try and microwave some flour glandes. Ive done this before but never did just happened.

Usually I make a batch of flour glandes, microwave them in rounds of about 30 seconds at a time till they are semi hard then let them air dry( for like 4 days). ...

Well this time i kinda forgot they were in the microwave and went to the bathroom, then to the commons 18hr grocery store, then to a friends room. my microwave doesnt have an electronic readout and just has a dial. I usually put it on like 2-3 mins and shut it off in 30 secs. Well not this time. For some reason I put it on like 10 mins... wow silly me

I am coming back to my room and I see some smoke coming from the bottom of my door.. I open the door and my microwave is spewing out smoke like CRAZY, my whole room is filled with smoke

I open up the mic door and i see that the plate that I put the glandes on(styrofoam) caught on fire!!!! I grabbed it, RAN all the way to the bathroom and dumped it in the sink. I rushed back to my room and turned on the 2 box fans I have out the window and cleared out my whole room of smoke.  MAN oh man.. if I woulda set off the smoke alarms i think i woulda had about 200 ANGRY college dorm room guys (i live in an all guys dorm) beating me to a pulp...

This is a lesson.... just because you dont have an oven, Fires can start anywhere... OMG im glad i just avoided a really bad situation... i am one lucky slinger  Undecided

PS. the glandes came out really nice and amazingly hard in 10 mins tho... kinda like burning dough... just like a charred brick. Great throwing but I dont think ill be doin that anytime soon....

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Flour Glande Making Gone All WRONG...
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 9:49am

why not ?  Shocked they sound like it worked great just the styrofoam caught fire so next time put them ona ceramic or glass plate  Grin that will clear the fire problem Right up

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 10:37am

Ha, cool story. And this is why we don't leave hot things unattended. It's actually kind of surprising that that didn't set off the smoke alarm. Have fun slinging them, it's well deserved.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 10:49am

i am really surprised also, my whole room was filled with smoke and when i was running down the hallway the hallway was starting to fill with smoke. Man that stuff puts off a ton of smoke!

on the way back from the bathroom, one of the guys in my dorm asked me hey where did all that smoke come from i was like i dunno.. then rushed into my room to setup the box fans Tongue

i definately agree.... no more leaving this stuff unattended, even in a microwave lol

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 11:58am

Just think, if you had been fast enough, you could have used them as incendiaries!!!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 12:47pm

Ha priceless  Cheesy And he's right too boot Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 12:50pm

At least you have slingable glandes...
I left my popcorn in the microwave a minute too long, recently, and the pack had started to burn in the middle.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 1:12pm

Lol not only a near fire And ruined popcorn but no glands to make up for it Shocked one can't help but feel sorry for a story like that Cry *gives willeke a hug*

Taiki  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 2:59pm

lol didnt exactly think about throwing around some neat fireballs at the time tho that woulda been awesome... I am a big person (5'11" 275 lbs) and I was more worried about 200 ppl beating me to a bloody pulp from having to evacuate the dorms at 2 in the morning...

they did throw well... already done with that batch.. my throwing session this morning went really well..
i really enjoyed those glandes.. gonna try and make some W/O sytrofoam tho lol

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 7:28pm

Nice story! An experience I had with these glandes is that I made them with the self-rising flour. So they turned out like little biscuits, and could be edible. It was like eating salt straight though.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 8:40pm

Medical bills: $272
Better Smoke Ventilation System: $1,308
200 angry dorm-mates with heavy fists: Priceless

Oh what could have been. Grin

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:03am

ROFL, Awsome misadventure!

Why do you use styo foam in the first place?
Shape?

Gonna make some tonight!  Cheesy

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 1:52pm

lol well... i used styrofoam because i didnt have anything else at the time and it worked before with no problems... tho the other times i didnt forget I put them in there Tongue

yea... that was the stupid rocket scientist coming outta me there.. kinda like the columbia accident, some aero engi made a stupid error and this time it was me Lips Sealed lol

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 5:49pm

one time  i put some of those maruchan ramen noodles in a ceramic bowl, placed in the microwave for 5 mins, walked out of the room.  three minutes later...my eyes start to hurt and the air smells really bad...my cousing makes alot of noise from the kitchen, i go in, and find i forgot to put water in the bowl with the noodles. Embarrassed  i was sooooooo embarrased, but mostly glad the black spot came off the bottom of the bowl and the microwave still worked.  great story of a good situation gone bad, then good again.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 6:11pm

lol. heres one of those 'dont try this at home' type things that i saw on tv (show called Braniac). get sheet of paper towel, wrap 3 onces of gunpowder inside, snap a paper clip in half and solder it to one edge of the microwave, burry the other half in the gunpowder with part of it still showing. then place gunpowder package in microwave so ends of paper clip will touch when microwave table turns (but NOT instantly). set microwave for 10 seconds and RUN!!!
it is amazing the amount of damage 3 ounces of gunpowder can do Roll Eyes

btw im assuming that no-one on the forum is actually stupid enough to try this cos it is really one of the DONT-try-this-at-home things Wink

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)