Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Pocket Clip Sling Grip (Read 14825 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Pocket Clip Sling Grip
Reply #60 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Unsapien,

Frame rate was found by timing the whole video, and then running it frame-at-a-time and counting frames, and dividing.

The sling rotation rate at release, is the only thing I care about; wind-up rotations are typically much slower.  What I did was, pause the video just before the slinger released, and then step it a frame at a time until the release, then back up one frame and compare the sling's angle in that frame, to the angle in the release frame.

As an example, Mark Weaver published several videos of himself demonstrating the figure-8 style with tennis balls, in
his article
.  I determined that the video was recorded at about 15 frames per second.  When he demonstrated a power throw, the frames of interest bracketed the release; just before the release, the sling is just rising from behind his back; in the next frame, the sling is above and in front of him, having rotated through about 180 degrees.  180 degrees in a 15th of a second, works out to 7.5 rotations per second.

In
other videos
, David Taylor spun his sling through 90 degrees in a 30th of a second, which is also 7.5 rotations per second.

Hmmm... interesting.  Both Weaver and Taylor were doing 7.5 rotations per second.  I though it was 10.  I assumed I could do 10 revs/second because that's what I thought Weaver and Taylor did.  But they didn't ... so I probably don't.  So my calculations are wrong, the stone's centripetal force will be less.  About half of what I originally calculated, in fact.  Instead of the stone pulling with a force of 682 newtons (153 pounds), it will pull with a force of 384 newtons (87 pounds).

And here I've already bought a set of those 200-pound snap swivels....

At any rate, this is enough about snap swivels.  This thread was about TechStuf's cool sling grip, until I hi-jacked it.  We now return you to the original topic.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2006 at 5:56pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #61 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 9:50am

I think your force calculated on 7.5 rps is the lower limit because you do not know how much the accelleration is at the last moment and how much force is applied by the thrower to achieve this accelleration. It could very well be 10 rps or higher in the last 1/100s and only 5 rps in the first 1/100s of the frame.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #62 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:20am

TechStuf,

Is the cord completely removable from the grip?
If not, when the grip is safely clipped to your pocket or hat, what do you do with the rest of the sling?

-pancaker

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:57am

twist it u and shove it in the pocket i guess Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 1:32pm

Good question!   I wrap the pocket with the cords and tuck them under the grip.  Mostly however, I just wrap them up and shove them in a pocket with the release tab clipped to the grip which is, itself clipped to a pocket, for easy deployment.   If one does this to a jacket pocket for instance, one can effectively leave the pocket loaded in one's pocket.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #65 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:22am

Clever way to walk with a loaded weapon - I bet the solid handle, positioned at the edge of the pocket, requires only a split second to grasp.

Sounds like a great solution to the sling's slow loading time, in finger comfort and style.

-pancaker

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #66 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 7:19pm

my father is an avid deer hunter. he only archery hunts. He owns a chronograph.
When my semester is up, I will definately throw a few stones through the chronograph and use my triple beam balance scale to measure out the weight of my rock. I am quite a big fella (5'11" 290 lbs) and I know i can chuck a rock pretty hard but this will give us accurate velocities as well as weights to use in calculations of forces.
Keep tuned in. Iwill definately revive this thread when I get this done.

IP Logged

Spike
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #67 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 9:00pm

Hmmm...I would definatly like to invest in one of those slings. Just a pice of whatever wood would be fine for me, seeing as how my slings tend to be problematic in the pouch area. Yeah. I want a sling.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #68 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 9:22pm

Welcome Spike!

I'm a bit confused, do you already have a sling? If not there are many excellent articles about making them on this site's homepage. After all, may be a while before TS's sling  goes into full production...

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #69 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:35am

Full production is a function of demand.....and our sport being the micro-niche that it is...I am probably at or very near 'full production' as I type this.

Cheesy

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #70 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 9:21am

Wotcha folks, I'm back - probably lol
good to see the contrails didn't get tech-stuff after all.

Daylight has returned to derbyshire and I'm now once again walking dogs in daylight and hence slinging again :-)
Although the big hairy dog now goes completely mental as soon as he sees the sling.

And after wandering around in winter with heavy duty gloves on I can now see the benefit of grips.
gloves plus sling :-(
But gloves plus sling with grip :-)

When work tails off a bit (please let it) I'll pop down my shed and have a go at making some.
Won't be anywhere near as good as yours - but hey, they'll be mine own :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #71 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:34pm

Thanks for your concern CA!

Quote:
good to see the contrails didn't get tech-stuff after all.

FYI -  They are actually called:  "Chemtrails".   With several major differences to 'contrails'.....

http://www.rense.com/politics6/chemdatapage.html

http://www.lightwatcher.com/chemtrails/patents.html

http://www.rense.com/general2/pat.htm

By year's end.....a few of more of us will look skyward a bit more often.....ruminating over the fact that this year's weather was so violent......and so blisteringly hot.  And may even ponder if such issues are worth.....'taking sides' over.....

http://www.infowars.com/articles/science/weather_mod_own_weather_by_2025.htm

Revelation 16:8,9

Man's or God's.

I heartily invite discussion on this subject, or any other for that matter, via Private Message.

God bless,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #72 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:50pm

hey curious ardvark-off topic but i made a sling especialy for slinging snow balls.   i did a standard braid as seen in the apache sling, but used a finger loop about three and a half inches long.  the pouch was a sort of ductape hammock for tennis ball size snoballls.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Spike
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #73 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 9:12am

Yes i do have a sling. I have two to be precise.  My first one that i made is just a rectangle of leather bout 3x6", with some parachute cord with a  slipknot and overhand knot tied at the ends. Nothing fancy, is kinda lopsided....

My second one that i made about a week ago i was very proud of. I used an artical off this site to make a cupped pouch for my sling, and it was large enough for a glofball. Then i realized that i couldn't punch holes in it, because it would be lopsided or go through my stitching. So i sewed the paracord to the outside of the pouch. In doing so i scrunched it all up and now the only ammo that i can throw with it needs to be about the size of a marble.

I attempted a braided sling, but the instructions were way to technical for me, and all that i have is a single spool of thin twine. I couldnt figure out the seamless fingerloop deal-type-thing, and the puoch itself came out horrendous.  All of my attempts at making myself a sling have gone astray, and i am yet to find/make/obtain in one way or another that is better than the ones i have.

Spike

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #74 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 9:38am

well hey, at least you've given it a shot. just keep trying, it's all about experimentation. http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11414485... this sling, as bad looking as it is, is extremely functional for me. at first glance the braiding instructions appear very complicated, but if you go slowly you'll see that it's actually pretty easy. just stick with it, good luck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)