Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Pocket Clip Sling Grip (Read 14997 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Pocket Clip Sling Grip
Reply #45 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:03pm

where is mathfreak?  he could do this stuff in a second for you.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #46 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:10pm

while it sounds absurd if your thinking about it in terms of your finger holding it, think about the damage done.

150 lb seems about right, even on the conservative / mild side, if you put it in terms of 150 lbs pressing down through a point the size of a fish weight....

i fear that in real life, without being a proffessional physicist with a lot of time, the amount of 'pounds' the projectile weighs can't be accurately found with this much data- there are just too many variables.

Also, how does the conversion of foot pounds translate to real pounds? is it 1:1? seems like it would be when you think of it in terms of foot pounds needed for an arrow to kill.

The only way that we'll know for sure, is if we chronograph the projectile, and get a very accurate weight... calculate footpounds that way.....
Unfortunately, I don't have the access, but if someone could sling through an archery or paintball chronograph, I bet that everyone would love you  Tongue

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #47 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:16pm

Duly noted, Dale!   Great work.   Now your mission,  should you choose to accept it....field test the crap out of those swivels!

Quote:
My neighbor's windows stand at risk if I bust one of the swivels...

I trust you were speaking hypothetically?  As we here at slinging.org are all responsible representatives of the sport,  and we know better than to sling within a half mile of anybody's windows....!

Quote:
The force pulling on my finger is equivalent to hanging a 150-pound weight from that finger?

Think about that for a moment,  one finger supporting 150lbs for even a moment.  Doesn't sound at all reasonable to me.  Now, employing all fingers to accomplish the task for a moment, no sweat......although I would venture to guess that 150lbs is near the exreme upper limit for most.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #48 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 9:26pm

Quote:
where is mathfreak?  he could do this stuff in a second for you.

don't you mean she  Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #49 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:08pm

I just wrote this whole thing out and it got permanently deleted, so this will be less neat, complete, and explained...

E = WV^2/450395

So for a four ounce (1750 grain) projectile:

150 mph gives 188.1 foot pounds
200 mph gives 334.2 foot pounds
250 mph gives 522.5 foot pounds
300 mph gives 752.2 foot pounds

I don't know what this means in terms of, or if it helps at all, with the stress of the swivel.

If it takes 25-40 foot pounds to kill a deer or black bear (this is from archery, so those foot pounds are driving two or more blades, as oposed to lead or a rock), a 250 mph shot with 4 oz is most defineitly going to break whatever it hits.... as though we needed sketchy math figures to tell us that...

hope this can help someone

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #50 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:48am

I am reading this right before i leave for school.... now i have a headache Cry

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #51 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:35pm

Please see corrections and comments in
red
in my previous very verbose post above ... OK, on the previous "page" since there are ten posts per "page".

Seems like fingers are stronger than I was willing to believe.  But when I think about it, people put some pretty good stress on just a few fingers.  Think of an archer: two fingers or three, up to a hundred pounds of force to draw the bow, no sweat.  Or think of a hammer thrower; I don't know how heavy the hammer is, so I cannot calculate the force, but it's probably pretty high.  OK, I am convinced.  My figures are right.

TechStuf,
No, unfortunately my neighbor's upper-story windows are quite within range of a rogue shot.  I haven't hit them yet.  I haven't even dropped anything in his yard, yet.  Still, I don't sling anything but tennis balls within range of his yard.

I've been concerned about equipment failure, with those snap swivels ... I thought I was well past the possibility of operator-error rogues ... until yesterday when a snowball slipped out of the pouch, went nearly straight up, and dropped twenty feet away at the feet of my wife and a friend we had visiting!  Missed them both by less than a foot, and I was still looking up and trying to figure out where the snowball had gone.  My wife's look was sufficient to sizzle me where I stood!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #52 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:47pm

I bet those swivels would be fine, (though i'm not advocating this). Some of my slings throw big rocks very vast, yet would definitely not be able to support even a hundred pounds...

For people who don't live near the coast and thus no tuna or other big game fishing: is it possible to get 200 lb. swivels without shipping them in?

Thanks for the calculations, Dale.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 8:09pm

I'm a hundred miles from the coast.  The place I bought the 70-pound swivels, also had 200 pound swivels ... but I thought I didn't need anything that heavy.  And I probably don't, since most of the time I'm slinging tennis balls.  But I do sling rocks, and occasionally I want to hit something HARD.  So I'm off the the store to buy the 200-pounders, for the few occasions when I really will be at risk for breaking a swivel.

Fortunately, the nylon "paracord" I use is rated at 300 pounds, and the dacron cord is even stronger.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 8:26pm

Perhaps I can take a hint from your observations, Dale....and make sure that the slings I sell can practically sling a car battery so as to at least limit liability to 'user error'.  

For the record....the swivels I use are Size 3  100lb. and I haven't had one fail.....perhaps due in part, because as the size and weight of the ammo increases to the point of being too large to fit in the pocket.....the velocity at which one can cast it decreases.  As long as the ratio between the two is well within the limits of the sling's materials,  one may enjoy a long service life, assuming a sling design optimized for such.

TS
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:13am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #55 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 1:25am

For those of us that use the metric system it would b helpfull if there can be done a set of calculations with our measurements.
I have read the posts a few times, but ft-lbs/sec2 has no meaning for me.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #56 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 3:17pm

Willeke,
You are right, I have forgotten that many of the folks reading this forum, are not UnitedStateians.  Or whatever I am.

I will not rewrite the entire post, but here are the numbers translated to metric:
m = 0.1134 kilogram
r = 1.524 meter
t = 0.1 second
pi = 3.14159265358979323846 (approximately)
Centripetal force works out to 682.27 newtons.
Gravity is 9.81 meter per second squared, so that makes the effective weight of the rock, just before release, 69.5 kilograms (that is, the 113-gram rock is pulling on the spinning sling, with the same force as a 69-kilogram boulder just hanging from the sling)

The snap swivels are rated to handle 70 pounds force, or 311 newtons... they are OK for tennis balls and snowballs, especially since I rarely sling those with my full strength; but they could fail if I try for maximum distance with a rock.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #57 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 3:30pm

Thanks Dale.
I have done enough maths and physics to understand the calculations, but not enough to repeat it myself.
(Or maybe when I did physics I could have, but now I do not remember how to do it.)

Nearly 70 kilos, that is a lot.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #58 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:52pm

Dale,
Was the frame rate test done at the point of release?
We ae not talking about sustained retention of the load right?

Is not the projectile released?
I personally increase rotatation speed and release, I doubt my fingers would appreciate it if I didn't. These forces being calculated seem to be immediatly prior to release, and should not act greatly on the sling itself.
Try slinging lightly without releaseing, and you'll feel the strain. The point however is that we do infact release.

I'm going to talk about this with my neghbor, he's a Mechanical Engineering Professor from brazil. I love the town, interesting people everywhere.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #59 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 1:55am

Ten circuits per second at 3m diameter is close to 339k/hr and 94m/sec—ouch!—FOUR!

Aside from swivels, a four finger (full hand) retention loop might be more forgiving, depending on individual style. I put the loop around the palm, half way back exiting in front of thumb at hand shake position.

Tom      

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)