Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Pocket Clip Sling Grip (Read 15008 times)
Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: Pocket Clip Sling Grip
Reply #30 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 9:34pm

Quote:
Grrrrrr..... *Pulls out the not-so-ancient M60* MY PENNY!

You know, it'd be much easier to just work for the money... Roll Eyes

("Oh, I'm no fun anymore")

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #31 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 10:17pm

hmm.... i was thinking of inlaying a thin strip of ebony lengthwise into the center of the handle of my latest bow. Is there any special problem that I'd need to be concerned with?

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #32 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 10:19pm

The fact that this topic belongs in "Other Primitive Weapons"? Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #33 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 10:24pm

haha, yes, I know. but the question is about ebony, not the bow. and TS has already addressed ebony. and he's the one who started the thread. It will come back to his sling quickly enough, I'm sure. Yes I actually thought through this while posting the question Tongue Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #34 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 11:33pm

One may be able to obtain a piece like you describe, avoid working it and save the trouble.  But more likely, you may be required to shape it.  In such case,  I recommend a table sander and a bandsaw.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #35 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 11:45pm

I've been thinking on the swivels you added.

Two questions:
1) Do they untwist the thongs when placing a stone, or while casting?
2) How freely do they swivel?

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #36 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:13am

are those the type of swivels you'd find at a tackle shop?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #37 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 1:49am

Well, since you ask ...

I decided to try adding swivels to a couple of my slings, to reduce my perennial problem with twisted cords.  I found swivels at a sporting goods store, in the fishing department.  Lots of different kinds of swivels.  Barrel swivels.  Snap swivels.  Ball-bearing snap swivels.  OK, they are cheap, I bought a few of each kind and went home to play with my new toys.  Since I was experimenting, I left the barrel swivels in the bag and just used snap swivels.  Barrel swivels have rings on both ends, and are for "permanent" attachment.  Snap swivels have one ring and one spring clip.

I removed the pouches from several of my slings, and attached the ring end of a snap swivel to each end.  Then I tied loops in the ends of the cords.  Now I can use the same set of cords, and snap them onto any pouch I like!

The regular snap swivels work very well.  No more problems with twisted cords.

The ball-bearing snap swivels taught me that there can be such a thing as too little friction!  The pouch just dangles at the end of the cords and twists back and forth, back and forth ... if I don't wait for it to stop twisting, or reach down and stop it, I risk releasing while the cords are twisted around each other, which would probably cause the rock to not release.  Bad for the shins, or other parts of my anatomy.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2006 at 3:47pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #38 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:43am

Good points, Dale.....I would also point out that the common 'Cow hitch' knot enables one to make use of the barrel swivel (shown at the start of the thread) in an easily removable fashion in order to switch pockets.......for instance, in a couple minutes, one can go from a split pocket to a shot pocket.

I know what you mean about ball bearing swivels.  Never had much use for them!

CanDo,  yes you can get them at any tackle shop.  In fact, the tackle supply shops are one of a slinger's best friends!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #39 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:49pm

Is anyone wondering what the dvd is abought? ???

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #40 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:52pm

Slinging naturaly Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #41 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 9:29pm

Gee who would have guessed?

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #42 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 10:51am

Quote:
Gee who would have guessed?

Looool

Taiki  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #43 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:32am

Grin Grin Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #44 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 7:43pm

I want to go back to those snap swivels, and figure out if they'll be safe to use.  I need somebody to check my math...

NOTE ADDED LATER:  Umm, there are some mistakes in the calculations below.  Do not trust them!  When I get time, I'm going to re-do this, but for now all I have is time to add this warning.

MORE NOTES ADDED STILL LATER:  "I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken."  My calculations are correct.  My friend with a Master's in physics, confirmed I did this right.  However, I had made some initial mistakes and corrected them without fixing the changed numbers in a couple of spots.  Fixed those numbers, and everything below is now correct and consistent.

OK, I've got a four-ounce rock, that's a quarter pound.  My arm is about two feet from shoulder to hand, and my sling is three feet from pouch to grip.  Whether doing an Apache style or a figure-8, I'm going to guess that my sling is doing about ten revolutions per second at release (if I could keep it swinging that fast for a whole second...).  That guess is based on timing several videos, and seeing how much the sling moved between two frames.  Twenty frames per second, as near as I can tell, and the sling moved a half-revolution from one frame to the next.

Centripetal force is calculated as  F = v2/r.  Velocity can be estimated from the circumference of the circle my sling is moving in (C = 2*pi*r), divided by the time for one revolution.  So v = 2*pi*r/t.  Plug that back into the force equation and simplify, and we get:  F = m*r*(2*pi/t)2

Plug in the numbers:
m = 0.25 pound
r = 5 feet
t = 0.1 second
pi = 3.14159265358979323846 (approximately)
And I get a centripetal force of about 4935 ft-lbs/sec2.

The force of gravity is 32.2 ft/sec2, so divide that into 4935 and I get the effective "weight" of my rock, just when I release it: 153 pounds (for a four-ounce rock!).

Something seems wrong here. 
(It may seem wrong, but it is actually right.)
 The force pulling on my finger is equivalent to hanging a 150-pound weight from that finger? 
(Yes; and a six-ounce rock will pull with a force of 230 pounds.  Damn English measurement system.  What idiot decided to use "pound" as a name for a unit of mass AND a unit of force??)
  Of course, that force is only for a small part of a second...

But it sounds like my 70-pound snap swivels might not take the strain. 
(I think I had best buy some heavier snap swivels -- I am quite glad that I have only been slinging tennis balls and snowballs so far.)

Could somebody check my math?  My neighbor's windows stand at risk if I bust one of the swivels... 
(Yeah ... some 200-pound swivels ... that should be good enough.)
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:12pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)