Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peruavian Sling (Read 1334 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Peruavian Sling
Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:47pm

My mother just got back ffrom Peru,when she asked what I wanted from there, I told her a sling. She rolled her eyes at this.
Well today I got my sling   Cheesy Real nice one, it's woven and defintately thicker than my simple leather bootlace and scrap leather pouch sling.
Large "Poofball" handle and 30 inches later ya come to the split pouch (5'X1.5"). There is no knot on the release end. It raining here so I haven't had a chance to take it out and realease a few stones with it.

According to her the locals used hematite as ammunition and she brought back one of those as well.
She said she almost gave up looking for one and she found a gent that had three of them in stock.
If I can get my camera up and running I'll try and provide a few pics of it.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Peruavian Sling
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:19pm

Awesome! I love peru. Is it made out of llama, alpaca, something else?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:27pm

To be honest I have no Clue.
However I am 95% certain it's not a plant fiber.
Based on the softness of the "Poofball" I am going to speculate it's probably Alpaca
Marc Adkins

Quote:
Awesome! I love peru. Is it made out of llama, alpaca, something else?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:46pm

So are you going to use it regularly or give it a few tosses then keep it as a museum piece? I'm going to have to get one of these.

Added later: A google search turned up slings for weighing baby alpacas  Tongue

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 1:10am

Wow!  I have always wanted to go to Peru for slings!

I can't wait to see the pictures.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 1:14am

Definately going to do a few tosses with it. If i like the diffrence I'll probably make one of similar length outta leather or para cord. Then I'll hang it up on the wall.
The hematite stone is defiately been put up.
The other thing i'm having problems with is trying to keep my cats from making bleeping love to the thing. In thier eyes it's a heck of a toy, particularly with the poofball Smiley

Marc Adkins

Quote:
So are you going to use it regularly or give it a few tosses then keep it as a museum piece? I'm going to have to get one of these.

Added later: A google search turned up slings for weighing baby alpacas  Tongue

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 12:55pm

Been up to my eyeballs trying to get my data analyised for my graduate thesis. I haven't had much time to go out and sling a few rocks. Until yesterday Smiley
I was kidnapped by a family member and brought to Fort Worth for the weekend. Sunday morning me the the peruvian sling and the staff sling went down to a low water crossing of the Trinity River.
Because I was in a suburban the self imposed ruels of engagement were strict no slinging if I could see anybody on the trails above men. Target was basicly anyplace down stream. Ammunition was localy available white rock I picked up off the riverbanks. the peruvian sling did work and quite well. still not real sure what to think of it's length, it definately is longer than my leather sling but...
I was using an underhand sling style with almost no windup. (Basic Goal Here is to get good enough for small game hunting) most shots went about 15-25 meters into the water, one actually skipped a couple of times. Had a couple of misfires, one went behind me heard it impact upstream during the backswing, one actually fell out of the pouch and my best unintentional swing went almost 75 meters in the wrong direction, instead of straight it went high and too the left and impacted on the upper edge of the riverbank. YIKES!!!!!
At that point decied not to break out the fustibalus and quit trying to throw with power and just get the form down. most of those latter shots went about 3 meters before hitting the water.

Still going to try and get some digital shots of it if i can get some spare time from my graduate project. But for now i think I'm going to hang it on the wall untill i get just a wee bit better

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Definately going to do a few tosses with it. If i like the diffrence I'll probably make one of similar length outta leather or para cord. Then I'll hang it up on the wall.
The hematite stone is defiately been put up.
The other thing i'm having problems with is trying to keep my cats from making bleeping love to the thing. In thier eyes it's a heck of a toy, particularly with the poofball Smiley

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)