Glades & Cavitation (Read 3452 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Glades & Cavitation
Reply #15 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 2:45pm

That it does. And I have taken it into consideration, so for one throw, I tried wrapping the tape around the glande so I would be able to find it in the grass. After it buried itself in the ground, the tape unwound from smashing into the field and I was able to locate it with a bit of searching (had to find the tip of the tape sticking out of the ground where it had been pushed out of the hole created by the glande). From what I can see of it as it's flying away from me, it seems to be spinning around its long axis, like a football, instead of end over end, regardless of how the tape is sorted on it. but, due to one end being heavier than the otherr, it always lands blunt side down. Most almond shaped glandes tned to tumble in flight and usually hit slightly off centre (as evidenced by some of the grass stains on the clay glandes I throw. the whitish clay makes the grass and dirt stains show up really well).

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 5:04pm

Interesting,
Are you sayng that the glades travel through the air blunt/ heavy side first, or that they land with the heavy side pointed down?

While slinging pine cones I noticed they tend to have their tapered end pointing upward. Is this what you mean?
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 7:31pm

I think that any object moving through a fluid, be it a fish or a lead projectile will always find the path of least resistance through the material in which it is in motion. Notice a fish always swims headfirst into the water and its anterior end is almost always more bulbous than the posterior, and there is little difference, save for the absence of fins, between the shape of the glande and a tuna. Both are teardrop shaped and somewhat rounded in cross section and from what I can gauge by the flight path, it seems to spin as it comes out of the sling and not tumble, even when encased by the tape. Of course, more tests will be needed, and since I am off Thursday from school and work, I will gladly dedicate my time in the name of slingology to finding out how it spins and trying to determine why. As well, since the forward end (bulbous end) is heavier, it will always hit the ground first, no matter how it is sent through the air.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 9:51pm

Quote:
I bet the opposite. A rounder, chubbier projectile will make a larger hole than one that is pointy (provided it lands on target point-first).

Not just "point-first" but directly perpendicular to the target. Any other angle of impact would make it cavitate and do more damage than the round object. I guess that it would depend on the target material also: paper would do very little in making an oval shaped glande wobble, whereas it would certainly cavitate through a ballistic gel.

A lot also depends on the slope of the glande. The degree to which something cavitates, and finding the most efficient balance between round and oblong would be pretty difficult.

In the end, it's safe to say that you're in big trouble if 4 oz. of lead smack into you.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 9:57pm

Quote:
you're in big trouble if 4 oz. of lead smack into you

i definately wouldnt want to be on the recieving end  Shocked

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:09pm

On the subject of why the ancients would make anything in any particular shape we need to be very careful.

Even if it is true that there is some areodynamic advantage to the 'almond' shape we cannot know that the ancients appreciated this and even then, if they did, we cannot be sure that that advantage was the principle motivation behind the shape.

The ancients certainly did use a variety of shapes including spherical and elipsoidal (acorn like) shapes and these have been found together.

The almond shape is the most common. I can think at least a few non-aerodynamic reasons why this might be so:

* The shot does not roll away or roll out of the sling cradle.
* The shape is easy to extract from a mould
* The shape is convenient for including symbols, messages etc into the mould.

(As to mould extraction, some confirmation would be nice if anybody has tried a variety of such shapes.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15)