SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Glades & Cavitation (Read 3447 times)
Steven Wintergerst

Glades & Cavitation
Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:35pm

When I first learned that the old lead sling bullets (Glades) were not round, I was baffled.  It's not hard to make a round object, and round projectiles resist wind best. 

I figured that the funny shape of glades must have had a major benefit to it.  Otherwise, why not just make them round, right?

I thought maybe it had something to do with the pouch, but that idea doesn't seem to hold water.  Sling shot bullets are just bal bearings sooo....

Then it occured to me, there would be no way to make a funny shaped bullet go through the air without tumbling all over the place.

Tumbling...  Anybody remeber that sniper that used an M-16 from the trunk of his car?  The news kept going on and on about how a little bullet the size of a dime could cause so much damage, through "Caviation."

When they make m-6 bullets, they make the point slightly crooked.  When that bullet point hits flesh, it gets jerked sideways, and TUMBLES through your body.  The process is called caviation, and is what leaves those messy holes on the other side of the target.

I'm wondering if sling glades cavitated....  Anybody got some spare watermellons they can sling at?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Glades & Cavitation
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:53pm

High performance modern sling glandes, and you would have to assume ancient military ones are made oblong precisely because they are significantly more aerodynamic, and can be thrown further, faster than spherical ammo. An impact would also be expected to penetrate more, if the glans hits point first.

The "trick" with ellipsoidal ammunition is that most conventional slings put heavy spin on the object throw as it rolls out of the pouch on release. This spin can be easily observed using larger rocks or patterned balls, and the effect on tragectory can be dramatic if the axis of spin is angled to the flightpath - a golf slice has nothing on a poorly executed sidearm!

Using a palm-forward release, clever pocket designs, consistent windups, or other advanced techniques, it is possible to throw a glans with American-footbal style spin. The lead spins like a bullet, and will remain stable in flight, presenting the slipperiest shape to the wind.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:56pm

hah, with the blunt force trauma caused by five ounces of lead, i don't think we'll have to worry about cavitation. good thought though.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:05am

Yeah, I don't think caviation has anything at all to do with it. That's like claiming knives kill through hydrostatic shock.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:24am

Quote:
That's like claiming knives kill through hydrostatic shock.

It would be awesome if they did though... Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 2:54am

Well, maybe if you're like... Superman, both of these could happen.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:46am

I can tell you from my throwing of a 4.5 oz lead glande less than a week ago that I can throw the thing out of the sling on it's side, and due to its semi-teardrop shape, it will always hit the ground point first, and despite it being hard packed earth on a baseball field, will bury itself about 2-4 inches deep.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:23am

also, the tumble of the glande also helps it to travel further in alot of cases.  that is why they are ablong, so that they will tumble through the air.  also, if they are heavier on one end, they will almost always land point first, allowing you to intentiolanly make the end pointy for penetration.  they will land point first unless one places a signifigant amount of spin over a short distance, but over long didstances, it is difficult to get the wrong point to land.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 6:56pm

ive noticed things like that in ways i wish that rule never applied  Embarrassed

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:29pm

Quote:
I can tell you from my throwing of a 4.5 oz lead glande less than a week ago that I can throw the thing out of the sling on it's side, and due to its semi-teardrop shape, it will always hit the ground point first, and despite it being hard packed earth on a baseball field, will bury itself about 2-4 inches deep.

Did you make it yourself, fishing weight, teardrop shaped lead the perfect weight for slinging just laying around? Sounds quite cool. Have you tried shooting it at wood beams or other things that can explode?

IP Logged

Steven Wintergerst

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 12:21am

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure.

1:Get two kinds of ammo: Round, and oblong, of the same weight. 

2: Throw at a soft target.

3: Look for differences in the size of the exit hole.

I'm betting the oblong ammo will make slightly larger holes.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 12:31am

I'm with you on that one.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 1:35am

I bet the opposite. A rounder, chubbier projectile will make a larger hole than one that is pointy (provided it lands on target point-first).

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 8:08am

Quote:
Did you make it yourself, fishing weight, teardrop shaped lead the perfect weight for slinging just laying around? Sounds quite cool. Have you tried shooting it at wood beams or other things that can explode?

It was actually just lying around on the shore of a local river and I found it as I was walking along. I recognised that a 5 oz projectile is the perfect weight and so I snatched it up. My only modification was to tie a length of surveyor's red tape to it so I could find it in tall grass. This does affect distance, sadly. I could try throwing it at something like wood or carboard, to see which hole would be larger, I suppose.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 1:36pm

Quote:
...My only modification was to tie a length of surveyor's red tape to it so I could find it in tall grass. This does affect distance, sadly...

Wouldn't the tape cause the glade to point in a certain direction? If this tape slows down the glade then it must be causeing significant drag on one end, so the tape might be what is causing the glade to land end first, and not the spin alone.

Perhaps this is simply becuase my technique is not yet matured, but I have noticed that my oblong projectiles tend to spin like a top through the air. It's hard to observe them after the 40 yards and they consistantly stay in that form. If I sling closer, I can't tell what is happening, there's just raw impact.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)