Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to spin dog hair (Read 2769 times)
invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
How to spin dog hair
Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:31pm

Here's an interesting tutorial I found on spinning dog hair yarn: http://www.mdnpd.com/pd/. Sounds like this could be very useful for a sling, or maybe for spinning other kinds of fibers. It looks like a fair bit of work, but it could be great! Unfortunately, I have a ferret, not a dog, but he's shedding now, so maybe I'll give it a shot!  Grin

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: How to spin dog hair
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:59pm

I have a book on spinning with dog hair, a different source of information, and I have longed for a long haired dog ever since getting the book. (Till I remember walking the dog, leaving it alone at home 10 hours a day, taking care of the coat,.......)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 1:19pm

I'm sure friends with shedding, long-haired dogs will be more than happy to let you get rid of the hair for them! Tongue Unfortunately, none of my friends have long-haired dogs (as far as I know. If I manage to get enough ferret hair, I'll give it a try Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:22pm

i have a ferret too, but there's a few times he's come close to  contributing in the form of a pouch.
dog hair garments? best stay out of the rain then

sv

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:26pm

I'd like to try it with cat hair. My cat sheds enough to make a furry catapult   Grin  We have a cat tree and it has about a centimeter thick layer of fur in it  Shocked

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Steven Wintergerst

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:09pm

If you don't like a long haired dog, you might look into an angora rabbit.  Do a web search, there's like a thousand sites about them.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:16pm

Hmm.... interesting.... I've never considered bunny slings  Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:02am

Definately stay out of the rain. Or any slightly humid climate. I knew someone who wove a dog hair hat, and every time it was rainy or even overcast, it reaked of wet dog. It was quite unpleasant.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:19am

Quote:
Hmm.... interesting.... I've never considered bunny slings  Grin

For death awaits you all with nasty, big, flying, pointy teeth. (slinging killer bunnies at people Grin)

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:50am

The smell of dog, (or whatever other animal) will disappear with washing. If you follow the instructions on this website or in my book, before you are even ready to knit or braid the yarn.

You can spin many kinds of animal hair, sheepwool is just the most easy and avaiable for many people.

It is not just not having the dog that is my problem, it is the time involved.
I have a list of things I want to do sometime soon, that will take twice the hours of the week, each week, for over a year, and I have to spend 40 hours each week earning a living, (plus some time getting there and home again.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:30am

Death by bunny, cute...  Grin

But really if anyone knows of someone or has ever done it themselves or even knows if its possible to do something with cat hair... I'd really like to know

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)