Home made.... (Read 6189 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: Home made....
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:52pm

very very nice slings Willeke. I will definately have to try to make another crochet sling.

Personnally I like crocheting the pouch the opposite way (if i understood correctly) than you did. You started with the length of the pouch then added rows to create a deep pouch. I like to make the pouch starting from one of the straps and increasing each row till I get the correct width of the pouch then decreasing in the same manner.  Both work great tho Tongue 

Off to do some work, then crochet another one Smiley

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:25pm

If that makes a better sling thats fine Smiley

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:44pm

I have crocheted slings in both directions and I think that the one from one end to the other is the easier for beginners, for experienced crocheters it will not make a lot of difference.

If you increase and decrease the number of stitches in the middle of the row the pouch will get deeper as well as wider.
If you want to add the extra stitches on the sides of the work you can still get a deeper pouch if you change the hight of the stitches, so use double or triple stitches in the middle of the pouch and normal stitches at the sides.
I used both at the same time and got an extreme deep pouch.

Succes, Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 5:55pm

Hi Willeke,

nice slings...   I really like the brown knitted one....  I think I'll try one to...    What kind of string did you use (material, thickness)?

Thx,

Burro.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 5:31am

Burro,
The white and green ones are between 1mm and 1.5 mm, cotton and the brown one about 2 or 3 mm hemp.
But many string will work.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 1:08pm

very nice Willeke;
I must really take up knitting when i get out of the woods

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 7:05pm

hey Willeke, Ive been reading up a lil bit on knitting as I wanna take it up. Did you do a garnet or stockenitte(sp?) stitch?  A garnet is where you use the same stitch throughout(like all knit or all purl) and a stock--- alternates the stitch every row so that it has a good and a bad side.. lemme know as I am actually goin out to get a pair of needles and try some knitting.. doesnt look too hard and after all.. i learned how to crochet in about an hour (basic stitiches and inc and dec). so i figure knitting is only the next logical step.

What size needle did you use for ur knitted ones?
looking forward to knitting one soon Smiley

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #22 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:34am

Greetings, Willeke!                                                                  
   I've been looking at this website for several months before I finally signed up and I have enjoyed reading your posts. Also, I admire your skill at knotwork and textiles and your website is very interesting.
   I just wanted to comment on the single cord sling that you made. You said that you didn't really like it but "it might work." Well, it most certainly does! I made a very similar one out of cotton clothesline, just a lenght of rope and four knots. It works VERY well. Not as pretty as some of your stuff, but good for those of us who can just barely tie our shoelaces together ( like me.) The 5mm ( 3/16 inch ) cotton clothesline works well because it is flexible enough so that even a lightweight stone will fully tension the cords and with a little trial and error I found that setting the two knots for the pouch about  4 inches apart is just about right for golf ball size to almost tennis ball size rocks. I have been using it for about two months with good results.
Give it a try!                                                             .......Dan Smiley

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #23 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 7:27pm

Thx for the info Willeke...

Burro.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #24 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:47pm

fi3l2
I use the stitch where you knit in a different way on both sides so all stitches look the same, like Matthias did in his slings.

Dan,
Thanks for the compliments,  Embarrassed
I will give the one string sling a try tomorrow, or have Taiki try it out for me  Smiley

Burro,
Happy to help  Wink

Willeke

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:11am

Bring to the top, because of discussing knitted slings again.

Willeke

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:23pm

Glad you did becuase i apprantly missed this thread the first time through.
Some really nice looking slings there Willeke.

Marc Adkins

Willeke wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:11am:
Bring to the top, because of discussing knitted slings again.

Willeke

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #27 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:16pm

thats what I call a deep pocket good job willki
It seem's a little too girly for my taste though lol  Grin
Now I like the idea of the one string. It seems to lend it self easly to wrist loop wich i use these days tough I am not much a fan of split pocket. but i can see using this design theading it though ny style of pouch then sqaure knotting both the retention and the release line. I know kinda defeats the porpose lol
well good hurling with it.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:33pm

Excellent craftsmanship, Willeke!

Very delicate crochet pouch--resembles a hummingbird nest <thumbs up>.

Would 100% acrylic worsted, medium work just as well, do you think? Or, would that be too stretchy?

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #29 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:55pm

The deep pocket slings have too deep a pocket!
Keep yours more shallow...or they will hold your stones as good as these do.
I put one stone in one that was a tight fit and used the sling like that, put a second stone on top of the first and it would fly perfect.
(But I did only a few throws that way, it is asking for the sling hitting your head that way.)

I think Acrylic would work, but I am not really sure.
I have so many kinds of nettting cottons and hemp in the house, as well as braided nylon line, that I never tried acrylic for a sling.
Just try, making a sling is not that much work, just check for damage.
Be extra carefull if you work from one end of the sling to the other, like in the knitted sling, because if a string is broken there it may fail suddenly.

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)