Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Home made....
Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:27am

I have been knitting and hooking slings recently, here are the promised photos.
(For the detail enthousiasts, I can also give even more detailed photos if wanted.)
This is the crochet sling, worked from the fingerloop to the end of the release string. Sorry, I first have to learn the names of the stitches in English before I can give a 'how to make'.

This is the first knitted sling, made on the instructions Matthias gave, but gone slightly asymetric.

So I made the next sling with a bit more attention to detail, and in a heavier string.

And because I liked the asymetric sling, I made an other one, more asymetric.

Added
A one string sling, made just to show, I do not think I like this design, but it may work.

Talking about a deep pouch....
This crochet sling is made lengthwise, and I made it extra deep just to show it is posible.
Crochet a chain about as slong as you want to pouch to be, turn and crochet a second row, increasing the hight of the stitches till the middle of the pouch, making a few stitches into one there and decrease the height of the stitches at the same speed to the other end, turn and repeat, but here I made 2 stitches in the ones of the cluster below.
The next row I did increase and decrease the hight of the stitches, but not their number, then followed 2 rows where I also decreased the number of stitched, at the same rate as I has added them at first.
If you work neatly to the end of the row each time you will get a wide end where you want a narrow one, so one time work to the real end of the row, but the next turn just before the end of the row.
I added the strings at the end of the work, one just before the last row, hook till the end for the row and continue in chain stitch, go on till the string is long enough, make a double chain for the fingerloop, fould and connect to the start of the double chain and crochet a stitch in each chainstitch on the way back to the pouch.
Make sure to continue on the right side of the pouch, make one more row and make the other string, either as the first or using the double chain as I did here.
It is rather intuitive, like many experienced crocheters will understand.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006 at 6:25am by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Re: Home made....
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:36am

Very nice,
I'm learning to knit myself
-Unsapien

P.S and helpful hinto to someone whose just starting to braid his slings?

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:50am

Ask away about everything you have questions about.
My english crochet language knowledge is not good, but in braiding talk I am pretty good  Wink

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:54am

Ah, she's just being modest, unsapien! She's gifted beyond words. Very nice slings, Willeke! Never thought you could truly crochet a sling!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 3:32pm

I have made 2 more slings today, I will make photos tomorrow in daylight and add them here somewhere.
One more crochet sling, and I have found a site with the crochet abbreviations so an 'how to' is possible.
The other is an one string, always the same lenght, adjustable pouch sling.  Smiley

Willeke

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:45pm

very nice willike!  you might have some trouble launching smaller ammo with that first sling.  it is a very cupped pouch, and if the ammo dies not fit correctly(ie: stone smaller than the pouch can hold) you the stone will go absolutely nowhere.  i have a sling with a substantial cup, depending on the stone being used, and i have had difficulty launching some smaller stones.  but overall, very nice slings.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:14pm

How long does it take you to make one of those?

They look awesome, Willeke!

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:25pm

Those are very nice.... i really would like to see a how-to... Slingbadger is the only person i know really that makes slings... he'd probably be interested in that. So if you could get that up I too would love to see how its done.

Thanks

^Peace out from SlingWolf^

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:43am

Hey nice, I like that Sisal/Jute/Hemp version!

How do you find the transitions from the I-cord/crochet chain to the pouch. I've been throwing mine this afternoon and, while it was never a problem on the original and I really don't expect it to be one (particularily using nylon), I was thinking that you could beef up the join by starting your increases earlier.

If you increased from three to five in the last few inches, for example, the "hinge" at the pouch should be tougher. How does it look with 2 stitch cord? Think there is any benefit? The second green one looks like you might have done this.

Matthias

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 2:51am

Nice work. Some of the close-ups look like little hats.

I really like the brown/earthy looking one.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 6:40am

I have added to the photos in the first post of this thread, easier than to make a new picture post.

It takes a few hours to make one, I finf it takes as long to make the strings as it takes to make the pocket, (because it is boring and I get distracted more.)

I did overdo the depth of the pouches in the crocheted slings. They are more to show it can be done than to realy use.

It is not hard to add dept in the pocket, if you remember that you can vary the amount of stitches as well as the dept of each stitch.
There are half stitches (or slip stitches), double and triple stiches and so on, and there are clusters, both to increase and to decrease the number of stitches.

I do personaly think that for a beginner the side to side way of working is easier.

Matthias,
On the knitted slings I had indeed problems with the first increases, going from 2 to 4 or even 5 stiches is not going smooth. The slower transitions are made at the end of the pouch, and are more pleasing. I might even have to improve the connection of the string to the pouch on several. Good thing I have learned to repair as well as make knitwork.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:15am by Willeke »  

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 3:55pm

Interesting.... Does your problem with time on the string come just from boredom or is it harder than it seems?

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 3:59pm

It is so easy that I always remember the other things I also want to do, where in the pouch all my attention is taken up by crochet (or knitting).

Willeke

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 4:17pm

That is too cool.... Is it faster to knitt or braid the lines and weave the pouch?... Either way now i have to learn how to knitt... Undecided
I'm looking at about 3-4 hours to make a braided and woven sling from jute.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 4:21pm

LoL

So do I... But im already short on free time as it is... what with the majority of my time being taken up with doing nothing. How can i fit something like this into my day?  ???

Grin SlingWolf Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)